Driftwood

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Pleco102, Apr 4, 2011.

  1. Pleco102

    Pleco102

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2011
    Messages:
    137
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria,Olympus
    HI i hav just aquired some driftwood or wood that i intend to use for driftwood. I am planning to let it be in water from my water change out of tank. Do i need to change the water aswell to get the wood "clean" fish safe. And aprox how long does it need to be in the water?
     
  2. Guest




  3. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Is t new wood or mature driftwood?
     
  4. mxz

    mxz

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2010
    Messages:
    508
    Likes Received:
    35
    Location:
    Cape Town
    It needs to soak for a long time to get rid of all the tannins. If you can you should try and boil the wood. Then soak it again for a while. I boiled mine and then soaked for a few weeks changing the water every 2-3 days.
     
  5. SHiBBY

    SHiBBY DIY Guru

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    639
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Glenwood, Cape Town
    I've got mine floating in the koi pond for the past month or two... That'll sort it out! After that it's boil and repeat.
     
  6. shihr

    shihr Glosso

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2010
    Messages:
    1,838
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    JHB
    well for those of u who dont have koi ponds and your boiling pot isnt big enough, chuck the thing in the pool for a month or 2.. make sure to rinse it of chlorine etc afterwards.. i'd take the precaution of leaving it in a bath tub with de-chlorinated water for atleast a day.. then to dry again before i put it into a tank with fish..
     
  7. OP
    Pleco102

    Pleco102

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2011
    Messages:
    137
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria,Olympus
    So i now have decided to buy some driftwood will be easier and faster as to get my wood ready for tank. Today i discoverd some driftwood in a lfs. Its mopani driftwood. A piece of about 40 to 45 cm costs R47. Is this a reasonable price?
     
  8. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    Sounds ok - still I think JHB is just way overpriced when it comes to these things so yeah under R50 sound like a bargain - post a pic. Typically these things get classified by weight and not size.
     
  9. Big G

    Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Messages:
    2,508
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Even buying Mopani wood from an LFS will require soaking before use. THey do not 'pre soak' the wood, and even the ones that do, you will still get tanins coming out of the wood. Some more than others. I have some wood that I got over a year ago, and it still leaches out now, where as I have other bits that I bought and was able to use within a few days with no further leaching!

    I guess it all comes down to the piece of wood, but I would not use any wood without having soaked it first for at least a few days!

    Sorry its not the good news you may have hoped for, but I wouldn't want you to go sticking it in your tank, only to find a day later your tank water is deep brown.

    Cheers
    G!
     
  10. Fanlie

    Fanlie

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2010
    Messages:
    156
    Likes Received:
    0
    I accept that one.
    I do boil. like 7-12 days each days new biol water.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Driftwood Forum Date
Wanted: Driftwood in the Durban area Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 7, 2026
Wanted: Driftwood Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 4, 2025
Wanted: Looking for any unwanted driftwood in Eastrand area Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 6, 2023
Driftwood question General Discussions Jun 23, 2021
Wanted: Wanted Driftwood CPT Wanted/Swop/Freebies Apr 24, 2021
Treating driftwood to prevent bba General Discussions Sep 3, 2020
Stinking driftwood General Discussions May 5, 2020

Share This Page