Driftwood and Gravel (Substrate) in and around JHB?

Discussion in 'General Equipment discussion' started by len.weideman, Jun 7, 2012.

  1. len.weideman

    len.weideman Planted tanks intrigue me

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hello Guys

    I will be going to Gauteng this weekend to visit the Expo. While I am there I want to buy some nice driftwood (not mopani) and some substrate for my new green terror tank. In Bloem we only get the normal beige 3-5mm gravel, and they sell mopani as driftwood, and for a year your tank looks like tea.

    Any decent LFS of pet accessory place worth the visit?
     
  2. Guest




  3. Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    If you let the wood soak for a month or two in hot water the "tea" color goes away. Mine took 2 month's to achieve this. Try it. It works. Mopani looks great in a tank.
     
  4. Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    @azurekoi also has a Dupa method of doing it quicker.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. OP
    len.weideman

    len.weideman Planted tanks intrigue me

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Mopani is nice, no doubt about it. But I am looking for a decnet piece, it is for a 240lt tank. And if I let it soak in the bath ( due to the size and no container big enough) I will be a dead man...... LOL, or divorced
     
  6. Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Driftwood Gravel (Substrate) Forum Date
Wanted: Driftwood in the Durban area Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 7, 2026
Wanted: Driftwood Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 4, 2025
Wanted: Looking for any unwanted driftwood in Eastrand area Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 6, 2023
Driftwood question General Discussions Jun 23, 2021
Wanted: Wanted Driftwood CPT Wanted/Swop/Freebies Apr 24, 2021
Treating driftwood to prevent bba General Discussions Sep 3, 2020
Stinking driftwood General Discussions May 5, 2020

Share This Page