Dophin filter rate

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by carl leathwhite, Mar 26, 2021.

  1. carl leathwhite

    carl leathwhite

    Joined:
    May 22, 2020
    Messages:
    131
    Likes Received:
    14
    Location:
    johannesburrg
    Good day all I recently added a larger Dophin C500 to my 60L tank. On the box it claims to have a 1130LPH pump yet out of curiosity I tested the pump by time it how long it took to fill up a 2L jug (26,79s) therefore it does approximately 4,4 LPM and 264LPH has anyone else encountered this problem? Could my impeller need replacing seeing as I bought it second hand? I have so many questions


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
  2. Guest




  3. Dolphin

    Dolphin

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2008
    Messages:
    1,926
    Likes Received:
    145
    Did you open up the pump head unit and clean it out? All the kunk builds up in there.

    Is the rubber seal ring on the baskets tube?

    Does it make any noise? Rattling...

    Is it purged of all air?
     
  4. Shabir

    Shabir

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2015
    Messages:
    1,959
    Likes Received:
    2,149
    Location:
    United Arab Emirates
    Most cannisters are rated judged by having no media in the baskets. Conduct your test again without any media in there and then see if you have a closer reading.

    If not all of this should be considered next
     
  5. OP
    carl leathwhite

    carl leathwhite

    Joined:
    May 22, 2020
    Messages:
    131
    Likes Received:
    14
    Location:
    johannesburrg
    I did redo it and only got 100LPH more it’s very disappointing


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
  6. Shabir

    Shabir

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2015
    Messages:
    1,959
    Likes Received:
    2,149
    Location:
    United Arab Emirates
    Maybe try vaseline on the impeller. But honestly I'm not sure you can get it anywhere close to what it's rated
     
  7. Wazi

    Wazi

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2011
    Messages:
    314
    Likes Received:
    146
    Location:
    Alberton
    Hi Carl, Sorry I have only seen this thread now. I can assure you that the equipment is in almost new condition. Just a quick one, How did you measure the flow rate? Did you have pipes connected to the filter at a certain height? There are many factors involved in calculating the flow rate including the diameter of the in and out flow pipes. One thing to keep in mind is the higher the pump has to pump water in a given diameter tube the more weight of water there will be. A pump can only lift a certain weight of water before the force of that weight of water pushing down (under gravity) equals the force the pump pushing up.
    See if you can repeat the exercise again but this time using a larger volume of water (5lt or more) also try do it after the pump has been running for a while to eliminate any air trapped inside.
    It would be interesting to hear the results.
     
  8. OP
    carl leathwhite

    carl leathwhite

    Joined:
    May 22, 2020
    Messages:
    131
    Likes Received:
    14
    Location:
    johannesburrg
    Oh no problem I’m sure it’s probably gunk build up and the filter is cycling my tank just fine I just found it interesting. I will repeat the test with a 25L buck and see the results. I just thought I’d conduct a scientific investigation


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
  9. Wazi

    Wazi

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2011
    Messages:
    314
    Likes Received:
    146
    Location:
    Alberton
    Yeah, It does sound a bit weird. I did some reading on the Eheim filters and apparently they do the same thing. Makes you wonder how the manufacturers are allowed to advertise with claimed figures.
    The only reason i can think of is the actual pump is rated at that. (Not installed in the filter housing)
     
  10. OP
    carl leathwhite

    carl leathwhite

    Joined:
    May 22, 2020
    Messages:
    131
    Likes Received:
    14
    Location:
    johannesburrg
    Yeah a lot of the ratings are tested with short hoses and empty filter baskets so you never actually get that


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Dophin filter rate Forum Date
Dophin c500 canister filter. Advice please. Filtration May 24, 2023
Freebie: Freebie: dead DoPhin C1600 canister filter Wanted/Swop/Freebies Nov 19, 2021
Dophin C-1600 canister filter help needed Filtration Jun 15, 2021
Dophin C500 canister filter dimensions General Equipment discussion Jun 7, 2021
Dophin c 500 Canister Filter Equipment Reviews Aug 25, 2017
Ok so my dophin tf 800 vs cascade 300 filter internal filter Filtration Feb 9, 2017
Cleaning a Dophin C1600 canister filter? General Equipment discussion May 21, 2016

Share This Page