Divorce looming

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by halfway, Sep 6, 2014.

  1. halfway

    halfway

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    105
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Alberton, Gauteng
    So as a child growing up in the 70's we always had a tropical tank in the house and I have always enjoyed fish. As it happens after school I got involved in mundane things like military service, varsity, jobs, marriage and kids and the like and keeping fish just didn't feature as important. About 3 years ago I took the plunge and bought myself a store built 6 foot cabinet tank and proceeded to make all the newbie errors by overstocking, buying anything that looked good without doing the homework, etc etc. It was a tough learning curve but eventually I got the hang of it with much help from this forum I might add! Today my 6 foot tank is well established with decent sized fish and takes pride of place in my lounge where it invariably becomes the centre of attention and discussion whenever we have guests, regardless of them being "fishy" people or not.

    Around a year ago I bought a 30l cube from one of the members on this forum and proceeded to have great fun setting up a very low spec planted tank. This is truly a thing of simplicity having a tiny hob and is populated by a few neons and 2 molly's. The tank is in my 5yo daughters room and she loves her fish. I fitted colour changing LED's to the lid and this is a constant source of entertainment for the little one. I spend a bit more time in her room than I used to because of this.... :laugh:

    About 3 months ago I bought myself a Boyu TL 550 established marine tank from a member of MASA and have had great fun with this. It is a small 130l tank but its amazing what you can fit into this setup both from a fish and coral point of view.

    I now have aspirations of acquiring a 3/4ft planted tank and populating it with fish unlike what I have in the 6ft tank.... My wife is threatening divorce as I spend so much time caring and maintaining my other tanks in my free time. My question is does anyone know a good divorce lawyer ?? :amazed::idea::laugh:
     
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  2. Guest




  3. Kula13

    Kula13

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2013
    Messages:
    143
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Centurion
    lol had a good laugh now!! Have you ever thought of having another child for the sake of the fishy hobby? lol..extra child= extra room= extra nightlight tank!:rofl:
     
  4. eros111

    eros111

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2012
    Messages:
    1,012
    Likes Received:
    166
    Location:
    Midrand, Johannesburg
    Just make sure that the apartment or town house you are going to be moving to, is big enough to take all your tanks, and that there is extra room for expansion !! :)
     
  5. francoisve

    francoisve Killinut

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,237
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Milnerton, Cape Town
    he he he that is very funny!
     
  6. Broder

    Broder

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,020
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    East London
    Brilliant! Jewellery is cheaper than a divorce lawyer. Just don't design a piece in the shape of a fish, or you'll be looking for one anyway. A slightly cheaper one...
     
  7. andries

    andries

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2011
    Messages:
    456
    Likes Received:
    117
    Location:
    Carletonville
    Had a nudge on the shoulder and the comment "Dit is waar jy gaan eindig. Gaan aan!" .
     
  8. blueskipjack

    blueskipjack

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2012
    Messages:
    179
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    Hi Guys I feel for you.I have 45 tanks and are busy putting together no 46.My wife got me started 2.5 years ago and support me all the way.So I guess I am a very lucky guy.
     
  9. francoisve

    francoisve Killinut

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,237
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Milnerton, Cape Town
    he he!
     
  10. francoisve

    francoisve Killinut

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,237
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Milnerton, Cape Town
    lol!!!
     
  11. neltf

    neltf

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2014
    Messages:
    2,223
    Likes Received:
    147
    Location:
    Boksburg
    I had to buy swambo new couches to make up for my 6ft that I'm getting next year :cool:
     
  12. Pierré Schoonraad

    Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2012
    Messages:
    2,072
    Likes Received:
    700
    Location:
    Queenswood Pretoria
    Dud best of luck with that one. I'm waiting for my daughter to move out of the house so I can have my own fish room.:bootyshake:
     
  13. eros111

    eros111

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2012
    Messages:
    1,012
    Likes Received:
    166
    Location:
    Midrand, Johannesburg
    I was wondering - there never seems to be any of our lady members who have 'hubbie' problems about having ANOTHER tank in the house - so I should read it, that only men have obsessions about having bigger and better and more tanks around the place :)
     
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  14. Broder

    Broder

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,020
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    East London
    HahahHahahahah... Brilliant! I can see this thread rocking the foundations of many uneasy truces. Gonna enjoy watching this..
     
  15. eros111

    eros111

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2012
    Messages:
    1,012
    Likes Received:
    166
    Location:
    Midrand, Johannesburg
    I say BRING IT ON @Broder ha ha ha
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  16. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    BTW IMO MTS is better than the AAA or a STD. Let her make the call.
     
  17. Caudelia

    Caudelia

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2013
    Messages:
    789
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    durban
    @eros111 that's cos men know the outcome of giving a woman an ultimatum,,, I mean really fishtank or hubby ??? Who do you think is gona go?
    7 tanks running and I still want a 2m ,,, I hate the word " budget" , so no men dnt have the monopoly on MTS either , lol
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  18. Quue

    Quue

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    605
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @halfway I had a very similar problem about a year ago with my little lady but after a few nights on the couch and some really interesting conversations, i managed to get her into this hobby with a little betta breeding project and BAM the bug bit we now running 4 tanks, 1 of which burst last week :cry: but there was nothing in it thankfully (Preping for another betta breeding project)... she now has her own low tech planted tank and helps with my 4ft in all areas. so my advice try and get her to find some interest in the hobby, maybe get her a small set up for her to scape and care for, this little TRICK worked for me :) best of luck.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  19. DoubleDutch

    DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,276
    Likes Received:
    2,321
    Location:
    Hoorn (Holland / The Netherlands)
    Hahaha great !!!!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  20. nodac

    nodac

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2012
    Messages:
    382
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    cape town
    My lady got me into fish keeping about 4years ago. Definitely very lucky guys we are! She had a 60cm tank then we both got 90cm. And now we run two big boys. A 730lt and a 400lt, Tropheus school in mine and threadfin group in hers. Really awesome. Need a new place to fit them in the same room! (After the proposal I bet I'll be able to get that dream 3m)
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Divorce looming Forum Date
Married fishkeeper to divorced fishkeeper in three easy steps.... General Discussions Sep 30, 2014
Power outage looming! Beginner Discussions Oct 29, 2010
Anubias Blooming Planted Tanks Oct 26, 2009

Share This Page