Discus Identification

Discussion in 'General Discus discussions' started by SpiderPig_za, Jul 24, 2014.

  1. SpiderPig_za

    SpiderPig_za

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2014
    Messages:
    123
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Vryheid KZN
    Hi there all.
    I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but can't find anything.
    I would just like to know if anybody maybe has a chart or a website where all the different types of Discus are shown and there names. I would like to see which ones are available, and to see which ones I have.

    Thanks
     
  2. Guest




  3. ROEKSTE

    ROEKSTE

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    Messages:
    840
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
  4. Marco

    Marco Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,015
    Likes Received:
    287
    Location:
    Waverley Pretoria
    @SpiderPig_za

    There are some of these sites with photos and typical "names" available. Its probably easier to post the photos here then we can try ID them for you.
    The big problem on the net is that you will conflicting names for inherently the exact same fish.
    For example you could get "Web face super Eruption" on one site and the exact same fish can be called a "Spider face Eruption" somewhere else. Or even a "Shooting star Eruption" and many other names for exactly the same fish-just from a different breeder.
    Gets confusing hey....
    Its easier once you just see the broad grouping and then go ahead from there.
    For that I think you can even get a nice enough intro on Jungle Aquatics website if Im not mistaken

    Rgds

    Marco
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. OP
    SpiderPig_za

    SpiderPig_za

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2014
    Messages:
    123
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Vryheid KZN
    Thanks I will definitely give that website a look, and thanks Marco. My biggest problem is that my lfs doesnt sell Discus, so i have to travel down to Durban or Richardsbay to see what fish they have. But I want to phone them to ask which ones they have then I want to look on a chart or something too see what they look like, or if i look for a certain one.

    Thanks
     
  6. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    The Simply Discus Forum has a library of some of the colour forms.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Discus Identification Forum Date
Discus General Discussions Aug 20, 2026
Wanted: Discus Breeder Rustenburg Area Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 22, 2025
Wanted: Discus breeders? Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 1, 2025
Discus to swap for Rimless scape tank Discus Apr 8, 2025
2x Large DISCUS to swap for co2 setup Discus Apr 2, 2025
Wanted: American Cichlids, Discus and Plekos Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jan 8, 2025
Does anyone know a breeder that does Orange Melon Discus? General Discus discussions Aug 8, 2024

Share This Page