Discus Friends

Discussion in 'General Discus discussions' started by SpiderPig_za, May 21, 2014.

  1. SpiderPig_za

    SpiderPig_za

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2014
    Messages:
    123
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Vryheid KZN
    Hi all...
    I'm still new here, really hope somebody would be able to help me.
    I'm very tempted to start with discus. But problem is I don't know which fish a person can have in the tank with them. Some people told me you can mix them together and some say that I can't. I have a 4ft tank with a few plants etc. (Will post pic later)

    I currently have:
    2x Clown Loaches
    10x Neon Tetras
    10x Glow Light Tetras
    8x Black Phantom Tetras
    1x Alge Eater
    5x Flame Dwarf Gourami's
    4x Angel Fish

    I can give some of them away to my friend etc, but it depends which ones I can't keep.

    THANKS

    Sent From My Doomsday Device!
     
  2. Guest




  3. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    Hi,
    And welcome to the Forum.

    I also keep Discus.
    Fantastic fish, and not as difficult as some people make out.

    Of your list, I would get rid of all of them tbh.
    Some things that can be kept with them are:
    Rams, Cardinals, Lemon Teras, Sterbai Corries.

    Basically fish that will tolerate the warmer temps and are not too boisterous.
     
  4. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Hi mate and welcome to the forum

    I have to agree 100% with @Reedfish I to, have been keeping discus for over a year now and have to admit they are one of the best fish to keep if you have the time and dedication to do so. I would not mix them with angels as from what I have read around, angels carry various parasites that will affect the discus. They also are a lot faster then the discus so will pose a problem when it comes to food.

    If you do decide to get discus keep them alone when growing them out. Makes life a lot easier when doing water changes etc. I posted a little article some time ago on my discus. Will post the link when I find it. Hope this helps.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
  6. OP
    SpiderPig_za

    SpiderPig_za

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2014
    Messages:
    123
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Vryheid KZN
    Thanks. I will definitely have a read through that.

    Sent From My Doomsday Device!
     
  7. Quakeszn

    Quakeszn

    Joined:
    May 16, 2014
    Messages:
    464
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Durban,South Africa
    Best friend for discus is clean water.i dnt keep any fish with my discus, but thats just me.there are some you can keep but stay well away from sucker fish as they latch on to discus and eat thier slime coat.it also depends alot on what size discus you want and how manny.5-6 discus minimum
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Discus Friends Forum Date
Discus General Discussions Aug 20, 2026
Wanted: Discus Breeder Rustenburg Area Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 22, 2025
Wanted: Discus breeders? Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 1, 2025
Discus to swap for Rimless scape tank Discus Apr 8, 2025
2x Large DISCUS to swap for co2 setup Discus Apr 2, 2025
Wanted: American Cichlids, Discus and Plekos Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jan 8, 2025
Does anyone know a breeder that does Orange Melon Discus? General Discus discussions Aug 8, 2024

Share This Page