Title is from my favorite song from my favorite band, "Disarm - The Smashing Pumpkins" So after I got a great deal to get 10mm glass from a broken tank, I decided to get it cut and made a custom 1200L x 600w x 350h tank. Idea behind the scape is something different. It is almost chaotic, but still kind of follows the triangle/thirds rule etc. just have to imagine it. hehe I was also lucky enough to find the wood locally. It isn't real driftwood rather "bush driftwood" as I would like to call it. Used it before in my 2ft tank, so there was no worries. Only thing is that this stuff leaches tannins like crazy for the first couple of weeks, but after a good soak and scrub, it is 100%. Still looking for more rocks, but at the moment I'm using some random slate type of rocks, but need more. Used PFS and a little ADA at the back for the substrate, with osmocote at the bottom. Difficulty with PFS is trying to create a slope without it leveling out. So took a page from fellow members and cut up some icecream tubs to create "slope stabilizers", i.e. barriers so that hold the slope. Still want to create more height, but might at a later stage invest in some ADA for the back. Lighting I decided to give the LED floodlights a go. Got 2 x 20W floodlights, mounted around 500mm from substrate. It is very bright, but feel that they might not be enough. Will change to 50Ws if necessary, but time will tell if they work. Plants that I have used if from my 2ft tank. One thing I'm worried about is BBA, because my 2ft had BBA. I have an idea to H2O2 the tank once everything has been planted but with no inhabitants yet. It would effectively kill off the remaining BBA and any nastys... Will post exactly which plants was used later and what fishies are planned. Please feel free to comment and criticize the scape.
Interesting size .... and a good looking scape. Looking at the flow, keep an eye on things settling around the back. You might want to see if the wavemaker should not be mounted on the left panel to lift detritus and rather keep it in the water column for filtration. Later Ferdie
Love this kind of scape. I see rainbow fish and Kuhli loaches. Where did you get your led floods from?
Thanks guys. Got those leds from a Chinese shop. Hehe. Price wasn't too bad so let's see. Planning the following fish. Corydoras habrosus Corydoras melini Otociuclus Apistogramma agassizii double red Danio Choprai Nannostomus marginatus Nannostomus beckfordi Dwarf neon rainbow Plants that are in are- Narrow leaf fern Bolbtis heudelotii C. Wendtii C. Parva C. Pygmae Monte carlo S.repens Glosso A. Nana A. Barteri A. Petite Bucephalandra Bylxa Rotala (mixed ) L. Repens Plans for the following plants to be added. Anubias barteri var. barteri ‘Marble’ Anubias barteri var. nana ‘Golden’ Anubias barteri var. coffeefolia Anubias congensis Cryptocoryne balansae Cryptocoryne blassii Cryptocoryne petchii Cryptocoryne tropica Cryptocoryne wendtii ‘Green Gecko’ Echinodorus 'Deep Purple Echinodorus ‘Red rubin’ Echinodorus tenellus Micranthemum micranthemoides Microsorium pteropus sp. ‘Trident’ Taxiphyllum sp. 'Flame Moss' Vesicularia ferriei ‘Weeping Moss’ Have another canister filter going in the weekend. And have another wave maker to go in.
So a little update. Took out the white rock and added a crap load of granite type rock. Also moved some plants around. Still have to add some more light as it is really dim on the sides. Still leaning towards 30w floodlight for the center and my current 20W for the sides. So would total 100w. Starting to also get some fungus on the wood, but that should be sorted once I put in the cleaning crew.
Some fellow residents. Royal farlowellas Ottocinclus Affinis And yellow forktail rainbow fish (Pseudomugil furcatus)
Stunning fish selection. I saw those rainbowfish at a local LFS just now... WOW!!! They're beautiful.