Datnoid (Datnioididae) available anywhere in SA?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SeanoK, Oct 11, 2017.

  1. SeanoK

    SeanoK

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2017
    Messages:
    29
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Durbanville, Cape Town
    Hi all

    Interested to know if these fish are available in South Africa?
     
  2. Guest




  3. Hendre

    Hendre Polypterus freak

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Messages:
    3,669
    Likes Received:
    1,729
    Location:
    Cape town
  4. B@kkies

    B@kkies

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2017
    Messages:
    256
    Likes Received:
    71
    Are you sure they are for sale?

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
     
  5. OP
    SeanoK

    SeanoK

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2017
    Messages:
    29
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Durbanville, Cape Town
    That's the vital question - Are they for sale?
     
  6. SalmonAfrica

    SalmonAfrica Batfish

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    471
    Location:
    Durban
    Well they'd be the people who know who to contact...

    They do appear on import lists from time to time, but it's not often that shops would bring them in. Sometimes it's useful to ask your LFS if they are appearing on their lists (if they import, that is), and then working out if they are willing to bring them in for you.
     
  7. OP
    SeanoK

    SeanoK

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2017
    Messages:
    29
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Durbanville, Cape Town
    @SalmonAfrica - Thanks very much. I have touched base with a few of my LFS without any luck... Perhaps I'll try digging a bit deeper.

    Currently running a 2 meter system with peacock bass, 3 large threadfin acara and rope fish and some others. My thoughts are that a few datnoid would be the ideal additions.
     
  8. Hendre

    Hendre Polypterus freak

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Messages:
    3,669
    Likes Received:
    1,729
    Location:
    Cape town
    Dats and bass will snack on ropes eventually.
     
  9. MariaS

    MariaS Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2015
    Messages:
    8,740
    Likes Received:
    3,581
    Location:
    Klipriver, Midvaal

    I am not sure where you stay,(update the location on your profile, it helps to get answers from people in your area)

    Wazeers in Boksburg had Silver Dats and some NTT on Saturday when I was there

    Just remember Silver Dats eventually need brackish water to thrive
    NTT are fine in freshwater
     
  10. OP
    SeanoK

    SeanoK

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2017
    Messages:
    29
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Durbanville, Cape Town
    Not at the size my bass are currently at...But eventually, perhaps.
     
  11. OP
    SeanoK

    SeanoK

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2017
    Messages:
    29
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Durbanville, Cape Town
    I wil
    l shall update the necessary.

    Do Wazeers ship? I am in Cape Town...
     
  12. Hendre

    Hendre Polypterus freak

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Messages:
    3,669
    Likes Received:
    1,729
    Location:
    Cape town
    Definitely eventually.
     
  13. OP
    SeanoK

    SeanoK

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2017
    Messages:
    29
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Durbanville, Cape Town
    Perhaps.
     
  14. Hendre

    Hendre Polypterus freak

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Messages:
    3,669
    Likes Received:
    1,729
    Location:
    Cape town
    When the bass get bigger I'd send them to another tank, are they ropefish or bichirs?
     
  15. MariaS

    MariaS Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2015
    Messages:
    8,740
    Likes Received:
    3,581
    Location:
    Klipriver, Midvaal
    Im sure they probably would but you will have to give them a ring and check with them
     
  16. OP
    SeanoK

    SeanoK

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2017
    Messages:
    29
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Durbanville, Cape Town
    The bass won't be going anywhere - the 2 meter tank will be their establishment. Ropefish bud. I've been around the block when it comes to fish keeping - I'm quite sure I know the difference between ropefish and bichirs.
     
  17. OP
    SeanoK

    SeanoK

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2017
    Messages:
    29
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Durbanville, Cape Town
    do

    Will do so, mate. Thank you.
     
  18. Hendre

    Hendre Polypterus freak

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Messages:
    3,669
    Likes Received:
    1,729
    Location:
    Cape town
    Just checking ;)

    I'm a big fan of polypterids, they are hard to find here in CPT :(
     
  19. OP
    SeanoK

    SeanoK

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2017
    Messages:
    29
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Durbanville, Cape Town
    ;);)
     
  20. neltf

    neltf

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2014
    Messages:
    2,223
    Likes Received:
    147
    Location:
    Boksburg
    my following dot

    Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Datnoid (Datnioididae) available Forum Date
Datnoids/ Care sheet and ID profiles Oddball fish Sep 30, 2017
Gold datnoid/siamese tiger Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 6, 2015
My Datnoid (Datnioides undecimradiatus) Fish pics Nov 15, 2010

Share This Page