Danio opinions

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by CJ Fish, Nov 24, 2016.

  1. CJ Fish

    CJ Fish

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2013
    Messages:
    116
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Durban
    Good morning All

    I'm interested in hearing the members' opinions on the various coloured Danios available - which do you have, why you have/don't have them, which ones are most popular and what other sp do they go well with etc?

    I am undecided on getting any - at the one end I find them nice and colourful, but then again they do seem somewhat "cosmetic and unnatural"

    Trying to understand what the hype is about and hoping that would help me make a decision

    Thanks!

    CJ
     
  2. Guest




  3. col182

    col182

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    Messages:
    204
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Boksburg
    I personally don't really like them , with that said I think the blue ones actually do look pretty nice , I think it cause their natural colour has blue in it and the blue glow fish tends to be more of a highlight of the natural blue colour, as for the rest I feel it's pretty much in the same category as buying dye injected fish which I whole heartedly despise, I think they are more for people that want pretty fish and not really for the serious fish keeper that strives to meet the fishes natural environmental conditions and to keep them as healthy and happy as possible and loves the hobby to be close to nature. That said it is entirely up to a person's personal preferences.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
     
  4. OP
    CJ Fish

    CJ Fish

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2013
    Messages:
    116
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Durban
    @col182 I agree on the blues, and have actually looked at those as a possibility but then thinking one could also get neons/cardinals instead
     
  5. Jwh

    Jwh

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2014
    Messages:
    1,737
    Likes Received:
    97
    Location:
    Pretoria
    They are genetically modified, so they are bred that colour and not dyed, if you like them get them.
     
  6. OP
    CJ Fish

    CJ Fish

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2013
    Messages:
    116
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Durban
    Thanks @Jwh, I'm still deciding what I want to put in the tank

    What about Golden White clouds? Same story?
     
  7. col182

    col182

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    Messages:
    204
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Boksburg
    Golden white clouds are bred that way too , not genetically modified just line bred to bring out a different colour.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
     
  8. dorff

    dorff

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2014
    Messages:
    258
    Likes Received:
    94
    Location:
    Hartbeespoort
    There are awesome danionins without any genetic modification or mutations bred in. One is not short on choices, but some can be demanding to keep.

    For me personally, it is a matter of biotope (within broad terms, of course). So if it were an Asian tank, I'd try danionins, and if it were a South American tank, I'd try characins instead. If it is just about the most colour and movement you can get in a mishmash of everything under the sun, then I can't see anything wrong with golden strains or GM'd zebra danios.
     
  9. OP
    CJ Fish

    CJ Fish

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2013
    Messages:
    116
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Durban
    Thanks for your comments @dorff, I appreciate it. I am not too fussed about biotopes, but it does give food for thought as I progress into this hobby.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Danio opinions Forum Date
Freebie: Silver Flying Foxes, Yoyo Loaches and a Zebra Danio Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 3, 2023
Freebie: Danios, Platies and 3 Otos Wanted/Swop/Freebies Aug 21, 2023
Danio Breeding help Breeding Oct 19, 2022
Wanted: Danio erythromicron Emerald Dwarf Rasboras Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 22, 2022
Wanted: GALAXY RASBORA / CELESTIAL PEARL DANIO Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jan 29, 2022
Freebie: Platies & Zebra Danios Wanted/Swop/Freebies Aug 9, 2021
My GMO Danio results Breeding Mar 2, 2021

Share This Page