Crazy Temperature

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Willem, Oct 30, 2011.

  1. Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Got a problem the heat was so bad I have had my heaters of for the last 5 day's and average temp was around 28 deg's today it went up to 33 deg's on my 2.4m I had to put my two 600mm fans on top of the tank and blow on the water to cool it down, it's been running for the last two hours and only came down to 29 deg's. Any body els with this problem?
     
  2. Guest




  3. gdt78

    gdt78

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2011
    Messages:
    620
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Jhb - East rand
    Hi @Willem, I have also noticed all my tanks temp has rised with an average of 3 degrees. I think it might be due to the heat wave we had. Also your tanks lights also contribute to this when the room temp / ambient temp ¨¬s high.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. gdt78

    gdt78

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2011
    Messages:
    620
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Jhb - East rand
    Hi @Willem, I have also noticed all my tanks temp has rised with an average of 3 degrees. I think it might be due to the heat wave we had. Also your tanks lights also contribute to this when the room temp / ambient temp ¨¬s high.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. Fanlie

    Fanlie

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2010
    Messages:
    156
    Likes Received:
    0
    eheim jager heater?
     
  6. Jimmy

    Jimmy Son of Poseidon

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2011
    Messages:
    361
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    I have the same problem. According to my cheap glass thermometer it is a nice constant 30 degrees. Only time it changes is when its early morning. Heater is permanently off. Suppose its summer.
     
  7. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    I suppose if temps get into their 30'S then the tank temps will go up.
    Opening the lid a bit and switching off the lights could bring down the temps a bit.
     
  8. fugdub

    fugdub

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2011
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Fourways
    hav the same problem , tank sitting at 29 degrees with heaters of, also been running a fan on the tank to cool it down.
     
  9. Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    DITTO...!!! I've turned down my heaters. My 3 ft has been running at 27 deg, and I'm busy growing some moss in there and it is not liking the increase in the temp. In general all my tanks have gone up by about 2/3 deg and the problem is that they are in a room where the temp during the day gets really warm even with all the windows open and a fan going...:wacko: Just remember one thing... where the fish live in their "natural environment" (SP?) in summer the temps do go up by several degrees, so I wouldn't worry about it too much, remember this is how they know when to spawn, etc
     
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  10. thysie

    thysie

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2009
    Messages:
    611
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    BOKSBURG
    Me to skrik my butt off when it reached 32
     
  11. OP
    Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Today again heaters pluged out tank open fans on still 30 deg's
     
  12. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    Try freeze a 2L Coke bottle and pop a few in to control the temp. Also add aeration to cool the water.
     
  13. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    In summer both my 4ft and Nano goes up to 30+. Plants dont always appreciate it, but I've never suffered any problems really. Nice thing is I actually turn my heaters off! Electricity saver
     
  14. OP
    Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Also no heaters in any tanks I only see the top temp as it goes to 32 when that happens all the fish is at the bottom the water is probably a bit colder at the bottom.
     
  15. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    @Zoom - Could be why your moss died! Moss hates high temps.

    But ja, other than moss, and some other plants, temps up to 30 should be ok for a while. You could always freeze coke bottles filled with water and stick them in your tank on really hot days, as firefly pointed out...
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  16. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Didn't think of that. Thanks @Sean J
    You have hit the head on the nail
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  17. spock rider

    spock rider discus

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2009
    Messages:
    223
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Northcliff, JHB
    Sorry to rub salt into your wounds chaps, but the discus are LOVING this heat! All I have to do is increase aeration. Perks of Discus keeping I guess!
     
  18. disco

    disco

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2011
    Messages:
    149
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    a house
    Agree with spock rider, good excuse to set up a discus tank. But it seems Gauteng is pushing summer temps earlier than the Cape. I can remember when i set up my tank in summer i wasnt sure if my heater worked so i put it in a bucket of cooler water to see if it came on.
     
  19. willem123

    willem123

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2011
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    rooihuiskraal Pta
    Try to move your tank to an inside corner of the room furthest away from the windows, doors and sun
     
  20. OP
    Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @willem123 if I could I would my setup is about 1.1 tons but it's looking better now temp on 29deg constant
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  21. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Howeve in winter it's a pain to keep this temp....
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Crazy Temperature Forum Date
Giant gourami or rather say crazy fish Gekkie Labyrinth Fish Jun 6, 2019
Why are my new malawies swiming crazy Cichlids May 24, 2019
Crazy fry dance General Discussions Oct 19, 2018
Crazy town Planted Tanks Dec 1, 2017
sometimes this hobby can make you crazy Cichlids Jun 30, 2017
This weekend will be a crazy one at Pet Stop!!! Pet Stop May 28, 2015
FB: Crazy mushrooms... Jungle Aquatics Oct 5, 2014

Share This Page