Confession

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Ladysphinx, Dec 17, 2016.

  1. Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    Hi my name Lady Sphinx and I'm addicted to buying guppies.

    I just bought the most gorgeous blonde male guppy, Three blue males and one blue female with two rand coins. If I had more money I would have looked for a nice female blond which was hard breaking cause I was R3 short.
     
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  2. Guest




  3. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    He he now just breed them, then you no longer need to buy, but truth be I like adding new blood risky but can be rewarding.

    later Ferdie
     
    Ladysphinx likes this.
  4. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Pics or it never happened.
     
  5. Pierré Schoonraad

    Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2012
    Messages:
    2,072
    Likes Received:
    700
    Location:
    Queenswood Pretoria
    and now you will need to get more tanks as well

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
     
  6. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    Pawn shop near us already promised me he will hold two +-20L tanks for me until I get the money to buy them.

    Images of my new requisitions
    Now I just need a few good looking blond females hehe



    IMG_201612352_123418.JPG





     
  7. Pierré Schoonraad

    Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2012
    Messages:
    2,072
    Likes Received:
    700
    Location:
    Queenswood Pretoria
    That first one is stunning

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
     
  8. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    Love the first and 3'rd pics the most, rest do not look bad but those standout.

    Later Ferdie
     
  9. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH

    I know absolute beauty. Fell in love with him the moment I saw him.

    People in the shop were all looking at me funny as I was counting out R125 in Two rand coins lol my hubby told me I'm nuts the best part I was planning on only buying on single guppy
     
  10. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    You sure that first one is a guppy?

    Joking, should look really good once you fatten him up.
     
  11. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    With a really good diet he should become a really nice specimen.

    I sitting here trying to decide which female or females to breed him with but I think I'm going to need to go back to the LFS and find me the perfect female preferably also a blond. I really want to preserve that look.

    Any suggestions ?
     
  12. Saturn

    Saturn

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2014
    Messages:
    498
    Likes Received:
    48
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Well I am also looking for a blond but not the fishy type...
     
    Ladysphinx likes this.
  13. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    @Ladysphinx, not sure if you are aware of this ...
    later Ferdie

    BTW the thread is here https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/breeding-true.2389/
     
    Ladysphinx likes this.
  14. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    Haha good luck these days you hope that the tyoe of blonde you are looking for aren't hiding any unseen genes lol.

    Can you explain this to me a little better in laymens terms sometimes I'm a little blonde when it comes to understand scientific terms lol.
     
  15. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    If you read the entire thread, especially the stuff that Dirk replied with ... when you see a good looking male guppy and you want to directly try and breed that line, you need to find his sisters and father and breed them. Since that is unlikely form any LFS purchase choosing a good female and a good looking female is still a lucky packet. Only if the males from that batch looks like the father do you then take the sisters and breed them with the father.

    Or in easy terms - no matter how good the male looks ... the female contributes most of the colour to the fry.

    Later Ferdie
     
    Ladysphinx likes this.
  16. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    So I would choose one of my most colourless female to put with him and then put any daughters to him if their brothers look more like the dad
     
  17. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    Ok in the meantime I I'll go a read the tread and learn some.
    Just a question if I put him with a blue female will his flowing tail carry over to the male fry. He also seems to have a very light snakeskin pattern which I like
     
  18. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    I seem to remember that tail form is mostly contributed by the male .. but can not find a reference to it. Might be worth ggling a bit.

    Later Ferdie
     
    Ladysphinx likes this.
  19. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    It's not set in stone. I have a female that is pretty neutral, she almost change nothing if added to a male, meaning the fry will look like the male if crossed with this female.

    You need to learn what each fish bring to the table.
     
  20. Pierré Schoonraad

    Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2012
    Messages:
    2,072
    Likes Received:
    700
    Location:
    Queenswood Pretoria
    On another point. I'm completely lacking guppy terminology. Is there one of the guppy guru's who can start a thred in the line of: Guppy lingo for dummies? Will help the new guys/girls a lot, including myself, in understanding what everyone is going on about. Then we all can sound smarter and not call Blond females silver

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
     
    Ladysphinx likes this.
  21. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    I agree there is so bn much the is beginners still need to learn.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Confession Forum Date
Newbie confession: overstocked my first tank on LFS advice — is a R5,500 180L upgrade worth it? Beginner Discussions Jul 12, 2026
My planted confession Planted Tanks Feb 17, 2013

Share This Page