Clown Loaches and snails?.....

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Cheetah, Dec 9, 2012.

  1. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    I have a lot of plants in my fishroom tanks and quite a variety..... I want to start my 5ft display on plants, but the fishroom plants are infested with snails.....

    I do have 5 Clown loaches in the display..... will they control the snails (as I have heard) .... or should I rather get snail-free plants from the lfs?.... There are trumpets as well and I have a problem getting rid of them..... any suggestions?....
     
  2. Guest




  3. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Problem is trumpets burrow into the substrate so they wont control them. Also lfs plants isnt snail free. Just make the plants snail free with bleech water silution
     
  4. doug

    doug

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2011
    Messages:
    355
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    kzn
    howzit clowns get big right? 20 odd cms. as they get bigger they`ll start digging up your plants. put you plant in qt while you kill the snails.
     
  5. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    @Cheetah,

    I think the thing with using loaches as snail control, is that you have to keep them hungry.

    If they are fed too much flake etc, they won't bother with the snails.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    I have seen a brown coloured dip at the lfs that they dip the plants into before they put it in the tanks..... I think it might be for snail control?.... anyone have the recipe?...
     
  7. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    @Cheetah

    Apparently Reedfish are good for controlling snails. I have never had 1 in my tank, despite getting plants from various sources.

    Never heard of the dip you mention.
    I just rinse my new plants under the tap.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. mydummyname

    mydummyname Balala shark

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    2,302
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    cape town
    Hi, @Ryno's got it right. Use your existing plants. But first soak them in an unscented bleach solution for 10 - 15 minutes, rinsing very well befor adding to the tank. The loaches are good snail eaters but they will never ensure that the tank is permanently snail free.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  9. squatty

    squatty

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2012
    Messages:
    139
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Amanzimtoti
    My single Skunk Loach cleared my old 2ft tank from small pinhead snails, be warned though, these guys think they own everything and eveyone owns them something, they have lots of character but can be overwhelming at times. They dont get big, 100mm if I'm not mistaken
     
  10. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    The problem us trumpets burrow into the substrate. So loaches cant eat the then.
     
  11. mydummyname

    mydummyname Balala shark

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    Messages:
    2,302
    Likes Received:
    41
    Location:
    cape town
    rough translation of the above: they are highly agressive and will kill your other fish.

    i've been there with skunk loaches, i'd never recommend anyone to ever get these aggressive fish. the only other possibly suitable tankmates might be the red-tail loach (blue botia) which is equally aggressive but grows much larger than the skunk loach.

    these 2 species of loach are known to stand up to and win even against malawis.
     
  12. squatty

    squatty

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2012
    Messages:
    139
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Amanzimtoti
    So far I'm lucky, the Skunk couldn't bother with the Neon, but for some reason if its not head deep into the substrate is looking for a fight agains the Hillstream or my Congo. If it keeps doing this he will be up for adoption soon.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Clown Loaches snails Forum Date
Wanted: Looking for jumbo clown loaches Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 24, 2022
Wanted: Clown Loaches Wanted/Swop/Freebies May 26, 2021
Wanted: Clown Loaches Wanted/Swop/Freebies Aug 16, 2019
Wanted: Clown Loaches & Red Rainbows Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 3, 2018
Wanted: Clown loaches Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jan 4, 2018
Wanted: Clown Loaches Big healthy Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jan 28, 2016
Clown Loaches sick Diseases Jan 5, 2016

Share This Page