Cloudy water

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by johanbosman, Aug 28, 2012.

  1. johanbosman

    johanbosman

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    160
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Kilnerpark,Pretoria
    Hi
    I read through some threads but I can't seem to find my problem.

    I started a new spawning tank for my bettas on saturday. I used aged treated water. No filter running in the tank. The water was clear till I added my bettas last night. This morning the tank was cloudy. Switched on the sponge filter and after 15min it was clear again but it is causing surface disturbance and the betta male couldn't build a proper bubble nest.

    Even if I run the filter at a low air pressure the male betta doesn't want to build a nest.

    Any ideas what may cause this cloudiness?
     
  2. Guest




  3. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    maybe amonia spike.
     
  4. OP
    johanbosman

    johanbosman

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    160
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Kilnerpark,Pretoria
    I will test it tonight.Didn't have time this morning.But will a 15 min Sponge filter run clear it up so quick?
     
  5. Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    This is a difficult one. Most likely Bacteria bloom or Amonia spike as @Ryno has said. You probably have a low water level for breeding in the tank right? Or is the tank filled all the way up? If so maybe try a seeded HOB filter. They don't create a lot of surface movement if the water level is close to the outflow.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. OP
    johanbosman

    johanbosman

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    160
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Kilnerpark,Pretoria
    Yes the water level is about 15cm for the breeding. I will do the full water test tonight and see what is going on water wise. I will try some filter configurations and see what will cause the least water disturbance as I don't have a HOB filter at the moment.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Cloudy water Forum Date
Cloudy water General Fish Discussions Jul 3, 2020
Cloudy water after changing substrate Beginner Discussions May 25, 2018
Green Cloudy Water Beginner Discussions Dec 22, 2017
White cloudy water Beginner Discussions Aug 29, 2017
RSS Feed Cloudy aquarium water | Causes, solutions & prevention RSS Feeds Feb 8, 2017
FB: Jons Nemo confused by the cloudy water after adding Zeo Coral Snow Jungle Aquatics May 30, 2014
Cloudy water??? Advanced Topics Sep 7, 2013

Share This Page