Cloud tank after feeding

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Ladysphinx, May 18, 2017.

  1. Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    So my 2ft tank will go cloudy afterbfeeding my fish there is about 10 smallish guppies in there and 4 Adults, I know I'm definitely not over feeding. All my other tanks arevfine it's just this one. Watrr parameters are fine @ Ammonia - 0, Nitrites - 0, Nitrates below 20ppm and PH is 6.7. Fish don't look stressed at all but it unsightly by the time I ned to fed tank has cleared up. I feed fish Daro Tropical fish flake at the moment as my Tetra fish flakes are finished at the moment. I do 20% waterchanger every other day.
     
  2. Guest




  3. Super Sywurm

    Super Sywurm

    Joined:
    May 14, 2017
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    133
    Location:
    Kimberley, Northern Cape
    I personally think you should change your water less frequently. I do mine every 2-3 weeks. I can't really comment on the cloudiness of your water, but have you considered a faulty filter or maybe a stronger one?
     
  4. fishanatic

    fishanatic Tales of the sword

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2015
    Messages:
    436
    Likes Received:
    39
    Location:
    Lenasia South
    Are you only using that food in that particular tank or other tanks as well?

    Sent from my LG-D620 using Tapatalk
     
  5. Bradley Bunch

    Bradley Bunch

    Joined:
    May 16, 2017
    Messages:
    305
    Likes Received:
    36
    Maybe get some clarity chemical I know they sell it at the local life style center at the Petshop


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk I know they sell it at the local life style center
     
  6. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    I feed all of my fishtanks the same except my betta's that I feed betta food
     
  7. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    Forgot to add I changed the sponnge in the filter but I still have the old sponge in the tank while the new sponge grow the needed bacteria.
    The filter is still flowing well and I've had it in this tank for a year now, it's always done it's job until it the cloudg water started a few days ok,
    I usually only do weekly water changes but I'm decided to rather do yhis tank more often since it started going cliudy during feedings worried what effect the water can have on the younger fish
     
  8. Bradley Bunch

    Bradley Bunch

    Joined:
    May 16, 2017
    Messages:
    305
    Likes Received:
    36
    If it is not a planted tank maybe clean out the stones or gravel to get rid of old food and fish waste


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
     
  9. Super Sywurm

    Super Sywurm

    Joined:
    May 14, 2017
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    133
    Location:
    Kimberley, Northern Cape
    Do you vacuum your gravel?
     
  10. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    Yes I do at least once a week and every second month I will actually remove all the decor and fish from the tank and swish the gravel around really well before I do a gravel vac just to be sure I don't get a build up of gasses in the gravel. I never do a filter clean up at the same time just to make sure I don't destroy a to large bacteria colony. I confused about this because I've never had this type of problem and now only with this tank. I'm considering Bradley Bunch's advice in doing a complete clean up and even putting one of my spare filters(I always have a extra filter running) in there to see if it will solve the problem.
     
  11. Hendre

    Hendre Polypterus freak

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Messages:
    3,669
    Likes Received:
    1,729
    Location:
    Cape town
    60% once a week is better than 20% 3 times a week

    Could be low quality ingredients
     
    Super Sywurm and fishanatic like this.
  12. Super Sywurm

    Super Sywurm

    Joined:
    May 14, 2017
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    133
    Location:
    Kimberley, Northern Cape
    I have no more advice or solutions.:confused:
     
  13. fishanatic

    fishanatic Tales of the sword

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2015
    Messages:
    436
    Likes Received:
    39
    Location:
    Lenasia South
    Lol I can't think of anything either. This is very weird. Especially if it's only happening in the particular tank.

    Is it possible that maybe the food is causing that but it's not affecting the other tanks because of water volume?

    Sent from my LG-D620 using Tapatalk
     
  14. Hendre

    Hendre Polypterus freak

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Messages:
    3,669
    Likes Received:
    1,729
    Location:
    Cape town
    I find my polypterus will cause slight clouding with large pellets that they chew into pieces. Nothing major but may be magnified in smaller tanks
     
  15. Jaco83

    Jaco83

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2014
    Messages:
    349
    Likes Received:
    42
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    It might be a bacterial bloom which happens once food becomes available.
    The reason it is only doing it in the one tank, is that the bacteria might only be present in that tank.
    This is just a theory though, and I cant confirm it.
     
    Ladysphinx likes this.
  16. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    hmmm - PH is 6.7 .... how are you testing this ? ... have seen cloudiness with phosphates - not usually with feeding but dosing.

    See http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_adjusting_pH.php

    "Free Phosphate ions may bond with calcareous buffering material, precipitating calcium from your aquarium, and reducing your aquariums ability to keep pH stable."

    I am not 100% on board with loads of WC's or substrate vacuuming - but that is more for well planted tanks.

    Later Ferdie
     
    Ladysphinx likes this.
  17. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    F-fish I had my water tested by our lfs as I don't have a test kit. I know I need to get one but a good testing kit that can test most of the parameters are pretty expensive. I going to read the article my get some answer from that. I have also notice my PH is a little low but I usually don't mess with PH because I prefer stability.
     
  18. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    Ok so I'm starting to suspect the new sponge in the filter for the cloudy water. I decided to clean the whole tank and moved all the fish with the heater and internal filter to another tank bare bottom. Everything was ok until I fed the fish and the water went cloudy. All my guppies male and female are at present in the same tank not ideal but I don't think I have much of a choice. Will decide what my next step will be tomorrow.
     
  19. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    That will be weird, is it one of those fancy medication / charcoal / ammonia removal filter pads?
     
  20. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    Fish it's some of those normal black sponges you buy and cut up. It's the only thing I can think of that is causing this problem. I'm considering sterilizing the filter and re-cycle the tank.
     
  21. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    If it is not harming the fish / plants, I would let it be for a few weeks - tanks might just need some time.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Cloud tank feeding Forum Date
URGENT Disturbed gravel and tank is cloudy. Beginner Discussions Sep 26, 2019
One of my tanks has suddenly gone cloudy/white General Discussions Apr 26, 2016
White Cloud Mountain Minnows in outside planted Tank General Fish Discussions Jul 10, 2014
Cloudy Tank HELP Beginner Discussions Aug 25, 2012
how to minimize cloudiness in a new tank.. Anything DIY related Mar 9, 2011
White cloud availability Cyprinids Jan 7, 2024
Cause of cloudiness General Discussions Feb 2, 2023

Share This Page