Canister Piping

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Singhms, Jun 26, 2011.

  1. Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Hey All,

    Was curious to know how do you handle the canister piping to your tank (inlet & outlet)

    I have a Fluval and from what I read in the manual the piping should travel in a straight line from the canister to the tank and the pipes should be cut to an exact lenght with no slack!

    My Fluval that came with a second hand tank I purchased has plenty of slack on the pipes! - I taught maybe the extra piping was not removed to allow for menovering the canister?

    How is your canister installed?
     
  2. Guest




  3. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    AFAIK the shorter the pipe run the better the overall l/h - less water resistance and all that. Thing is we move things around - so unless your tank is installed or you have a cupboard / cabinet that holds the canister (i.e. it can not really be moved) then I would think leave slack so that you can move things around.

    My JBL is standing on the floor between the legs of the 2 4ft stands so it would have been waisted space. I opted to keep both pipe lengths the same - gut feeling more than anything else.

    I think more importantly - always make sure the pipes are clean with unrestricted flow from kinks or other matter.

    Later Ferdie
     
  4. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Possibly a stupid comment from my side: If it's working... don't fiddle. Why "fix" what ain't broken.
     
  5. Big G

    Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Messages:
    2,508
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I think if it only has a small amount of slack, then leave it its fine... However, if it has masses of slack, and is coiling around, then there is a risk of kinking in the pipe, which will in turn reduce or altogether stop the water flow. This would be my main concern?

    Regards
    G!
     
  6. OP
    Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Thanks for advice guys.

    Its not a lot of extra.

    and as the wise words do go... @Zoom

    If it aint broke leave it alone :)
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. OP
    Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Hey guys, as this is my first canister filter, how do you clean the pipes?

    If the fluval ribbed type. Do I just run water through the pipes like a hose?

    Thanks,
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Canister Piping Forum Date
Canister Filter piping Filtration Jan 22, 2013
Save 20% on the Oase BioMaster Canister Filter Today Jungle Aquatics Mar 4, 2026
Wanted: Canister filter Wanted Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jan 12, 2026
20% Off Oase BioMaster Thermo Canister Filters - Limited Time! Jungle Aquatics Sep 18, 2025
Wanted: Canister Filter for 300lt Tank Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 23, 2025
Wanted: Tetra Canister filter tap/valve needed Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 18, 2025
Wanted: Looking for a canister filter Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 11, 2024

Share This Page