Canister Filter Maintenance

Discussion in 'Filtration' started by Th3Fishman, Oct 5, 2015.

  1. Th3Fishman

    Th3Fishman

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2015
    Messages:
    119
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Parow
    How often do you guys clean your canister filters on average? Once a month, every two months?
     
  2. Guest




  3. fishcrazy

    fishcrazy

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Messages:
    522
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Durban
    Hey buddy, you should be cleaning at every water change..... Generally for nightly, then again that depends on the fish
     
  4. Chongkie

    Chongkie

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Pietermaritzburg
    I wouldn't say clean, just a rinse in tank water at wc's should be fine.
     
  5. andries

    andries

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2011
    Messages:
    456
    Likes Received:
    117
    Location:
    Carletonville
    Once every 6 months rinse the media.
     
  6. Linxie

    Linxie

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,821
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa
    Once a month here... cleaned mine out this weekend and it was filthy. Might up this to every second week since the filter is smaller than my previous one. The sponge of the intake is cleaned every week.
     
  7. DCWarHound

    DCWarHound

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2013
    Messages:
    1,059
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria,Sinoville
    I haven't opened mine in 3 years, mainly because each time i opened them up they would leak and i needed to use the warranty to replace them (to a point where the shop refused) Not even replacing the seals helped and at some point i thought about using a water tight glue to keep it closed forever.
     
  8. MariaS

    MariaS Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2015
    Messages:
    8,740
    Likes Received:
    3,581
    Location:
    Klipriver, Midvaal
    I do once a month however, it also depends on what fish you keep and how heavily stocked your tank is so what works for some might not work for you

    Start off once month and see how it looks ... if you see its very dirty, try every3 weeks. Its the best way to decide on needs of your setup
     
  9. Jwh

    Jwh

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2014
    Messages:
    1,737
    Likes Received:
    97
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I'd say once a month should be fine, check your nitrates, always a good indicator. I change water every 2nd day no ways i'll clean my filters that often :eek:
     
  10. neltf

    neltf

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2014
    Messages:
    2,223
    Likes Received:
    147
    Location:
    Boksburg
    I am with Jwh on this one...And also depends on the size of filter & what media you have , some guys just run their canisters as bio-filters without any floss or batting- yes then you stretch to rinsing in a couple of months , but if your canister is nice & big like ours- rinse every month & replace the floss/batting...my small internal filter which I converted to a minni canister mechanical filtration medium- I replace the batting every week in line with a wc...
     
  11. DerikPelser

    DerikPelser

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2013
    Messages:
    1,109
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Ruimsig
    When I feel it. Don't have set rules to when I clean.
     
  12. OP
    Th3Fishman

    Th3Fishman

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2015
    Messages:
    119
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Parow
    Hey everyone. Thanks for all the input. Its lovely to see the community of fishkeepers advising and sharing. I guess it does depend on a few variables, ie, water volume, stock level, filter media etc. I do believe however that there is no "right" amount of time, but definitely the right time when your nitrates is starting to rear its "poisonous head" ,hence @Jwh has a very valid point. One man has two Oscars in a small tank without plants, and the next man has a lush planted system in a nice big tank with only a small school of Cardinals. It is obvious that this first man will need to do filter maintenance more frequently, and as far as I know, Nitrates being the last element in the bio cycle, would be the telling factor. I think I must invest in a Nitrate testing kit, instead of relying on a schedule. I guess smaller, frequent water changes is also the way to go, if you can afford the time.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    In a planted tank ... when the flow rate has dropped to a point that it no longer acceptable. We keep adding fertz so using nitrates to check in a planted tank would seldom show up a canister that needs maintenance.

    I typically have pre-filter sponges on the non e-eheims but in all of them only run 1 layer of filter sponge the rest ceramics / matrix of some sorts. This gives me a good 8 + months with No purigen, batting, charcoal or peat - also means better flow rate in the end.

    Later Ferdie
     
  14. neltf

    neltf

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2014
    Messages:
    2,223
    Likes Received:
    147
    Location:
    Boksburg
    How do you buffer/polish the water?
     
  15. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    Buffer ? as in pH .. don't

    Polish .... only if I cause a mess with a rescape then an internal filter with batting for a few hours.

    Later Ferdie
     
  16. neltf

    neltf

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2014
    Messages:
    2,223
    Likes Received:
    147
    Location:
    Boksburg
     
  17. RoGe

    RoGe

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2014
    Messages:
    630
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Pinetown
    I assume you clean the pre-filter sponges more often?
     
  18. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    yeah between 90 and 180 days
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Canister Filter Maintenance Forum Date
Save 20% on the Oase BioMaster Canister Filter Today Jungle Aquatics Mar 4, 2026
Wanted: Canister filter Wanted Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jan 12, 2026
20% Off Oase BioMaster Thermo Canister Filters - Limited Time! Jungle Aquatics Sep 18, 2025
Wanted: Canister Filter for 300lt Tank Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 23, 2025
Wanted: Tetra Canister filter tap/valve needed Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 18, 2025
Wanted: Looking for a canister filter Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 11, 2024
Introducing the New Oase Canister Filters Jungle Aquatics Apr 24, 2024

Share This Page