Calico crossed Super Red Ancistrus

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Khalid, Dec 17, 2012.

  1. Khalid

    Khalid Loricariidae

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Messages:
    1,515
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Lenasia
    I managed to buy some long fin Calico Ancistrus early this year. Out of the bunch only two survived. As my luck would have it, they turned out to be both female. I have been looking for more of these fish ever since with no luck.
    The bigger Calico Bristle Nose has been looking plump for a few weeks now. So instead of waiting for a male that might never arrive, I decided to cross her with my spare male Super Red Bristle Nose. With all the great rainy weather we have been having earlier this month I managed to spawn these two plecs successfully.
    However this conjugal visit come at a cost. The female Calico BN took a beating with very badly torn fins, her lovely long fins all shredded.
    She has been getting some tender love and care so hope she gets better.
    The male Super Red BN did an excellent job taking care of the eggs until they hatched.
    I removed him the same day. As I feared that he might eat/kill the fry as did my other super red male to his clutch of fry.
    Now I have at least a few young fry, hope they all make it as I have lost a few fry already.
    The big question now is, what will the resultant fry look like? as I have no record/knowledge of the adults genetics.
     
  2. Guest




  3. len.weideman

    len.weideman Planted tanks intrigue me

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Whoop Whoop! My guess at the cross will be : BEAUTIFUL!!
    Hope to see them soon
     
  4. OP
    Khalid

    Khalid Loricariidae

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Messages:
    1,515
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Lenasia
    The super red father looking after his first clutch of eggs

    111220122407-001.jpg
     
  5. OP
    Khalid

    Khalid Loricariidae

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Messages:
    1,515
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Lenasia
    181220122485.jpg181220122483.jpg

    3 day old fry - pure white in color with yellow yolk sacks, still to absorb

    181220122485.jpg

    181220122483.jpg
     
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  6. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    cool hope they all grow up to be awesome fishies
     
  7. OP
    Khalid

    Khalid Loricariidae

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Messages:
    1,515
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Lenasia
    13 days old
    Calico colors developed
    Long fins now also presenting

    291220122643.jpg

    291220122641.jpg

    291220122637.jpg
     
  8. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
    Super cool! Nice to see them growing up - thanks for sharing! How many are there?
     
  9. OP
    Khalid

    Khalid Loricariidae

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Messages:
    1,515
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Lenasia
    last count was around 20 fry around 15 mm and constantly eating
     
  10. Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    Very nice Khalid. How is the female doing?
     
  11. OP
    Khalid

    Khalid Loricariidae

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Messages:
    1,515
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Lenasia
    The female is doing great, torn fins healed nicely.
     
  12. Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    That's good news man. In the 2nd pic the little one on the right looks asif he doesn't have the long fins? Or is that only because his fins are clamped?
     
  13. OP
    Khalid

    Khalid Loricariidae

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Messages:
    1,515
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Lenasia
    Hi Bazil. Yes it does look like a short fin.
    Will only know for sure as they get older.
    The adult female is gaining a lot of weight and will be ready to spawn again in a week or two.
    Need to change the cave design to minimize injury to the female.

    Len/ Ryno, you right they are beautiful and looking awesome already. The deep orange color is already visible

    Only a pleasure to share TracyP
    Will try post lots Of pixs.
     
  14. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    if youre gonn sel i need to get dibs on a pair! im a big pleco fan indeed.
     
  15. OP
    Khalid

    Khalid Loricariidae

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Messages:
    1,515
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Lenasia
    will keep you in mind Ryno, however the extra males will become available first
     
  16. timothy m

    timothy m

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2012
    Messages:
    158
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    morningside,durban
    Tops!!!!!!!!!!!!
     
  17. Zebra Plecostomus

    Zebra Plecostomus

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2012
    Messages:
    95
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Sandton
    Khaild,

    I want dibs on a male too please!!!! Want it as a present for a BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG ancistrus fan!!!
     
  18. TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    How cool is this??? Well done!! Cant wait to see them when they colour up!
     
  19. len.weideman

    len.weideman Planted tanks intrigue me

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Whooo Hooo! Glad to see they are doing well! I am on the list to buy some from you! Seriously
     
  20. TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    I was actually reading up on hybridization yesterday. I cant find the site I was looking at but it had a lot to do with Mendelian inheritance, colour variation in fry and pigment synthesis.

    From what I have read, your fry will have split traits (assuming that your super red carries a recessive gene because you have short finned fry). 75% Calico Long Fin and 25% Calico Short fin. This is just an assumption.

    There is a chance that the Calico morph is dominant over the super red morph, since all your fry have similar markings, but the long-fin gene is also dominant hence my assumption of 75% long finned fry.

    There is a chance that NONE of your fry will turn out to be super red, since the brown gene is dominant.

    So you're pretty much getting what you would have if you bred calico x calico except, your fry could possibly carry the super red gene. What this means is that there is a possibility of getting long fin super red if you cross your female fry with the father.

    I'm no genetics expert BUT what I read in that article made a lot of sense.

    This is still an assumption. Lets see how your fry look in a month.

    TM

    @Khalid
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  21. OP
    Khalid

    Khalid Loricariidae

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Messages:
    1,515
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Lenasia
    @TankMaster
    Very few write ups on BN genetics.
    And I am sure I have read most of them. Thanks for the simple explanation.
    Its not knowing the genetics of the parents that makes it very interesting.
    As I write this I am watching them court again.
    Hoping I can get another spawn before the end of the week.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Calico crossed Super Forum Date
RSS Feed Calico Goldfish (Carassius auratus) Care Sheet & Information RSS Feeds Jan 12, 2021
Wanted: Wanted: Calico Ancistrus Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 25, 2019
Swop: Anubias and java moss for calico or super red ancistrus Wanted/Swop/Freebies Feb 13, 2018
Wanted: Calico Bristle Nose Catfish Wanted/Swop/Freebies Apr 30, 2015
L046 and Longfin Red Marble Calico Bristlenose Plecos Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jan 21, 2014
L144 x Calico pleco Catfish Mar 14, 2013
long fin Calico Ancistrus. Sponsor Requests Dec 6, 2012

Share This Page