built in filter

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Aj_85, Mar 17, 2016.

  1. Aj_85

    Aj_85

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2015
    Messages:
    189
    Likes Received:
    0
    hi all I would like to know if anyone has ever broken out and inbuilt filter on the side of the tank......I don't enjoy them and want to put a cannister filter in? any suggestions thanks guys....
     
  2. Guest




  3. MadHatter

    MadHatter Animals should be respected, not feared

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2015
    Messages:
    946
    Likes Received:
    617
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    possibly have a pic?
     
  4. MadHatter

    MadHatter Animals should be respected, not feared

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2015
    Messages:
    946
    Likes Received:
    617
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    want to see how it looks as you get quite a few inbuilt filters, some have holes cut others are overflow, ext.

    should be an easy quick fix either way
     
  5. OP
    Aj_85

    Aj_85

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2015
    Messages:
    189
    Likes Received:
    0
    sorry no pic......it's the over flow type with 3 cross sections in it...... just scared I crack the main tank while breaking out the glass
     
  6. MadHatter

    MadHatter Animals should be respected, not feared

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2015
    Messages:
    946
    Likes Received:
    617
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    use a razor and cut them out. much easier and you wouldn't need to break the glass ( that is if its fitted the way I think it is )

    is it a main outside frame and they just dropped glass inside and stuck it to the sides? or is it a whole diff unit? that has its own sides ext?
     
  7. OP
    Aj_85

    Aj_85

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2015
    Messages:
    189
    Likes Received:
    0
    it's just glass been dropped in and silicone in place
     
  8. MadHatter

    MadHatter Animals should be respected, not feared

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2015
    Messages:
    946
    Likes Received:
    617
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    yea use a razor cut out the silicone, as much as you can, and if you give it a hard enough bump or tug sides will come off and just pull to release the bottom ( or hold the glass at an angle and cut the bottom out. )
     
  9. MadHatter

    MadHatter Animals should be respected, not feared

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2015
    Messages:
    946
    Likes Received:
    617
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    that's what I did to my mates tank anyways. and it worked lol
     
  10. OP
    Aj_85

    Aj_85

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2015
    Messages:
    189
    Likes Received:
    0
    thanks alot bud...appreciate it.......
     
  11. MadHatter

    MadHatter Animals should be respected, not feared

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2015
    Messages:
    946
    Likes Received:
    617
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    got it right?
     
  12. Pezulu

    Pezulu

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2015
    Messages:
    3,417
    Likes Received:
    1,393
    Location:
    Centurion
    I cut out an inbuilt side filter.
    Using a stanley knife I cut away as much of the silicone as I could, until the panes of glass literally came off in my hands.
    With the same blade I scraped away at the silicone, until there was just a light film of silicone left on the glass.
    That was removed with fine steelwool and methylated spirits.

    The bottom of the tank had been drilled, and a thin pane of glass siliconed over the hole.
    I removed the glass using the same technique as described above.
    In the attached pic you can see where the silicone was, before being removed with the steel wool and methylated spirits.

    Because I wanted to use a canister filter and not a sump, I had to improvise to seal the drainage hole, but at the same time I wanted to be able to use the hole for drainage, should I want to empty the tank someday.
    To seal the hole, I used a 40mm bath plug and drain.
    The plug pops up when pressed, and fits flush with the bottom of the tank.
    To that I used a reducing bush from 50mm to 19mm, with a stop valve.

    20160118_231503.jpg

    20160118_231503.jpg
     
  13. OP
    Aj_85

    Aj_85

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2015
    Messages:
    189
    Likes Received:
    0
    yes pezulu.....I remember reading on another thread..... thanks bud I appreciate the info.....I'm sure I will come right and let you guys know how it went
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - built filter Forum Date
Replacing built-in lid filtration with a canister filter Anything DIY related Aug 30, 2017
Builtin Bio Filter General Equipment discussion Aug 11, 2017
[HELP] HOB filter with built in UV Sterilizer? or Mini UV sterilizers? General Discussions Mar 9, 2013
Tanks with Built-in Hood Filter General Discussions May 21, 2011
Help with built in (overflow???) filter General Discussions Apr 9, 2011
Heater placement in a built in filter General Equipment discussion May 17, 2010
Wanted: Need a Tank Built Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 9, 2023

Share This Page