Build or Buy?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by bylaag, Jul 6, 2012.

  1. bylaag

    bylaag

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2010
    Messages:
    240
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Honeydew Ridge, Roodepoort
    Good day everyone,

    I'm getting back into the hobby but have a few obstacles to overcome.:smile1:

    I was thinking of building my own tank but then I realised if I start now I’ll probably only finish it this time next year.:sad2:

    So my question is, is it better to buy a tank or to get one build?

    It’s probably cheaper to get it built than to buy one at the LFS, but does it look as good?

    If seen the Juwel tanks at the LFS, they look really good, the only thing that worries me is the filter doesn’t look adequate enough (o and it’s really expensive).

    I’m also not keen on the hole outside canister filter or sump filter. Scares me that the water leaves the tank(don’t want all the water on the floor).

    I do like the whole filter build into the backside of the tank idea.

    What are your thoughts? I would like to build it myself and actually have the space, just don’t think I’ll be able to do it by myself in the short time I want it.
     
  2. Guest




  3. BBQ

    BBQ

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2012
    Messages:
    1,023
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Buy a custom tank!
    Boyo tanks are expensive yes but not always to what ur spec is unless ur not fussy
    just go reserch what what species you want to keep (discus) = high tank
    so do ur reserch and ask a fish tank builder to make it up for u.
    NEVER use dodgy people cos they will use shit quality glass nor these guys
    from the backyard crap.. always ask mutliple peoples advice. some will just refer
    you to thier dodgy friends.
    Doing it urself (u can reserch the safety factor of 2.5) but then again
    what if that thing breaks half way? rather let the pro's do it. and if there a problem
    then you can go back to them. let them know what you want (the back filter idea)
    and listen to what thier advice is, then make up ur mind then
     
  4. OP
    bylaag

    bylaag

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2010
    Messages:
    240
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Honeydew Ridge, Roodepoort
    Will go and have a look at a few tanks and compare it to the price of custom build units.
    I think having it the way I want it is also important. Thanks for the advice!
     
  5. Gapedi Tanks

    Gapedi Tanks

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Lion Street, Cape Town
    Build it yourself. It gives you a huge amount of satisfaction. Start by building a small prototype out of 5mm glass just to get the feel and then build your tank the way you want it.
    I will happily assist/guide you in any way that I can.
     
  6. BBQ

    BBQ

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2012
    Messages:
    1,023
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Yes building out of 5mm glass as a "prototype" will cost you
    Money as well, all depend what size you want it.
    Just remember the safety factor of 2.5
    Now imaging 4ft tank with 5mm glass hehe
     
  7. Gapedi Tanks

    Gapedi Tanks

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Lion Street, Cape Town
    @ BBQ The idea of building a "prototype" is just to give you practice for building the real thing.
    A small scale model out of offcuts that you can pick up from your glass supplier will suffice.

    As a matter of interest you could build a tank 1,2m long x 35 cm wide x 38cm high out of 5mm glass with a Safety Factor of 2,5
    Most of us wouldn't, but theoretically it is possible.
     
  8. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    When I was thinking of starting my breeding project in my garage, I considered building my own tanks.
    So I phoned a glass company for quotes on the glass. Not cheap for decent quality. Factor in breackages and "learning curve" mistakes, and I think that buying was a better idea.
     
  9. OP
    bylaag

    bylaag

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2010
    Messages:
    240
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Honeydew Ridge, Roodepoort
    I went to a LFS in Kempton today and had a look at the Jewel 280l, brilliant looking tank. Ons other thing that bothers me when thinking of building my own tank is the finishing. The Jewel tank has round edges and is a really nice looking tank. Don't think my building skills will compare with one of those tanks.

    Does anybody know what black strip they use in the corners in some of those tanks?

    I'm not that worries about designing the tank, it's the stand and the canopy that worries me, my woodworking skills are scrap!

    Have any of you build your own tank?
     
  10. BBQ

    BBQ

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2012
    Messages:
    1,023
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Hmm the problem with the rounded tank.
    I remember having a small 60l that I brought for like 800
    When it first came out some years ago.
    What happened?? Well cos my father wife didn't like the
    Tank where I wanted to put it. So she decided to mOve it out.
    And bump it agenst the wall while At it.
    And no replacement glass so I basically threw away the tank
    The same day! That's just my experience.
     
  11. OP
    bylaag

    bylaag

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2010
    Messages:
    240
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Honeydew Ridge, Roodepoort
    oooo thats a bad one! Thats the problem, you can't fix it once it's cracked. Same with the plastic lid, if it breaks or bends you have a problem.
     
  12. BBQ

    BBQ

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2012
    Messages:
    1,023
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Premade tanks
    Pro - Rounded sides for (funny viewing of ur enlarged fish face on the coners)
    con - no replacements

    Custom tanks
    Pro - To your requirement (with some $$$ added)
    cons - Dodgy people out there with cheap glass ( seriously)

    DIY tanks
    Pro - To know how to make a tank and maintain it when theres a problem
    cons - prepare to spend lots of money for mistakes and maybe ugly silicon work.

    Thats just a simple pro and con option in my point of view
    at the end of the day, you must be happy with the tank, not us :D

    Just keep us updated what you choose and also post pics ^^
     
  13. Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    I re built my own canopy. Re finished my cupboard myself and had the tank made by professionals. Getting it on Friday. Wood work is difficult if you don't know how it's done or have the right tools. In my opinion. It is far less satisfactory to buy a new tank than to build / refurbish your own. It gives a sense of wanting to make it work as soon as you are finished. I am more determined to make the planted work now than ever.

    I didn't put in all the effort to see it fail this time round. Plus you find yourself doing research more extensively before you start. In return you gain experience. Hope you get what I am trying to say. I am not trying to discourage you from buying new allready made tanks. I am merely stating how I am experiencing it now.
     
  14. OP
    bylaag

    bylaag

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2010
    Messages:
    240
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Honeydew Ridge, Roodepoort
    I decided to to the DIY thing. I really want a big tank yesterday already, but due to the fact that my time machine isn't working yet I think I'll be patient.

    So I'm building a prototype, a nano tank, similar to the one Zoom had, and another user (can't remember who) posted about recently.

    Going to build it the same way I would build the bigger tank.

    Will probably be able to build the nano and the big one for the same price of buying a new tank.

    Can't wait, have to sort out my garage first, hopefully going to start it next weekend.

    Thanks for all the advice everybody!
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Build Forum Date
ADA end of year build Members Systems Friday at 1:26 PM
Tank builders General Discussions Jan 26, 2026
Tank builder in JHB General Equipment discussion Sep 4, 2025
Adaro mid-year build! Members Systems Apr 27, 2025
First Time Aquarium Build 1200x450x450 Advice Anything DIY related Jan 20, 2025
Amano New Year Build! Members Systems Jan 5, 2025
Nano New Year Build! Members Systems Jan 5, 2025

Share This Page