1. All ads must contain photo's of actual equipment/livestock for sale. Please read the rules before selling.

brichardis

Discussion in 'Livestock Classifieds' started by fshygirl101, May 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fshygirl101

    fshygirl101

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2010
    Messages:
    235
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Secunda
    hey guys,

    so, I'm turning my planted tank tanganyikan. I want to keep a nice breeding community of neolamprologus brichardi. I'm Ideally looking for some high quality especially pretty adult specimens, but I'm interested in any. If you know a pet store in JHB that has really nice ones I'd really love to know about it.

    thank you,
    Alex
     
  2. Guest




  3. BBQ

    BBQ

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2012
    Messages:
    1,023
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Terro fish! i tell you :D
    I had 2 of these about 2 weeks back and oh they destroyed my other fishes
    it is to be said they only have a 15cm radius but in my tank they took about 50cm radius
    very aggresive i must add, and if meet with other aggresive fish, im scared it might kill each other
    just my 2c worth
     
  4. keith1964

    keith1964 Keith

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Do not keep any other Tanganyikan cichlids with them, perhaps Leleupis will be find. Give them plenty of rockwork and caves, try and put some ceramic clay pots as caves for them to breed. When they start you cannot stop, I had a couple of breeding pairs and within a few months had over a 10000's assorted fry of different sizes. They are a really good colony fish when they start to breed. When I lived in Johannesburg their was a petshop near the Glenn in Rifle Range Road in the South. Cannot get to their name but they were well known in the South.
     
  5. OP
    fshygirl101

    fshygirl101

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2010
    Messages:
    235
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Secunda
    Thanks, that pretty much what I was planning except for the flowerpots. I'm hoping some well placed rocks will be a good substitute. What do you feed the fry and how? brine shrimp? microworms? what should I have ready? I think the petshop you mean is petmaster, very well known, as you said. You mentioned leleupis. I was contemplating a pair for colour, but I've heard stories about how aggressive brichardis are one they start breeding. The tank is only 200L do you think a pair of leleupi would be okay?
     
  6. OP
    fshygirl101

    fshygirl101

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2010
    Messages:
    235
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Secunda
    @BBQ, i was planning to either keep brichardis alone or perhaps with some neo. pulchers, which I understand are extremely similar. possibly with a pair of (or single) leleupi as mentioned above. Baisically, I will do my best to keep things peacful as far as tankmates are concerned. Thanks for the warning.
     
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  7. keith1964

    keith1964 Keith

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I started with a 400L first with brichardis only and then moved them into my 2m tank. Only in my 2m tank I then only added my other Tanganyikan species as the space gave them enough movement to swim and build their territory. Just be careful when added rocks, if you could place under ground filter sheets first before added your substrate and rocks as these fish can really dig and move rocks around. I had bought some nice oval rocks from a nursery and place them on top of each other giving grooves. Plenty of rockwork is very nice to have for these fish. I eventually had 8 pairs breeding with thousands of fry all over the tank moving from one nest to the other and the parent did not mind to have plenty of fry to attend too. Some parent actually use to take from the other pair fry and raise them. At one stage my brichardi actually reared from my Leleupi fry, but the younger fry started to bully them, because they could sense that it is not one of the brothers or sisters but the parents did not mind.
     
  8. Corne

    Corne

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    611
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Villeria
    has anyone actually give you a place to by from as i also want some a whole school
    (and for the trollers i am the tankanator i can breed gupies in a arowana tank)
     
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
  9. OP
    fshygirl101

    fshygirl101

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2010
    Messages:
    235
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Secunda
    Well, I have seen little ones in petmasters and once, a long time ago 3 stunning adults (that got me interested) also in petmasters, I would like adults like those, but I havn't seen them again, and now i'm ready for them, hence the thread. I noticed a guy on another forum is importing tangs, I asked about the brichardis, but no answer yet.
     
  10. OP
    fshygirl101

    fshygirl101

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2010
    Messages:
    235
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Secunda
    sounds awesome
     
  11. OP
    fshygirl101

    fshygirl101

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2010
    Messages:
    235
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Secunda
  12. BBQ

    BBQ

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2012
    Messages:
    1,023
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Pretoria
    pet stop has 2 pairs (well im not sure if they still there) havent been there for about 2 weeks now
    life a bit pwned on me atm so maybe give @Moolis a shout?
    seeing that his tagged here, he might respond
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. OP
    fshygirl101

    fshygirl101

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2010
    Messages:
    235
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Secunda
    Sadly, I never get to PTA on my JHB trips. I doubt hey will still be there next weekend (my next jhb trip) anyway.

    Anyone else no of where or who from I can get them???
     

Recent Posts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page