Breeding siamese fighting fish

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Javei, Mar 3, 2013.

  1. Javei

    Javei

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2013
    Messages:
    565
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    pretoria
    Okay I have siamese fighter and my aunt has 2. I want a female fighter because I want to breed with them. Where can I find a female and how breed with ?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
  2. Guest




  3. Wyvren

    Wyvren Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2011
    Messages:
    2,549
    Likes Received:
    21
  4. keith1964

    keith1964 Keith

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Do plenty of research first before attempting to breed siamese fighters as their spawn are big and you would need plenty of space to rear their fry
     
  5. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    @Javei,

    Also something to consider is will you have someone to take the youngsters off you?

    I had this problem when I was breeding fish(mainly Kribs and Angels). I went to all the fish shops in the area, and they took some off me. But then when I went back with the next batch a few weeks later, they weren't that keen!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. OP
    Javei

    Javei

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2013
    Messages:
    565
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    pretoria
    Hehe, I have my sources. Thanx for the info.
     
  7. OP
    Javei

    Javei

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2013
    Messages:
    565
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    pretoria
    You see, I already have 2 fighters, one male and one female. When will the male begin with his bubble nest?
     
  8. St@tic

    St@tic

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2012
    Messages:
    148
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Midrand
    How old are this pair?
     
  9. OP
    Javei

    Javei

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2013
    Messages:
    565
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    pretoria
    6 - 8 months, the male is very excited and keeps on flaring at her for a while d swims away then
     
  10. St@tic

    St@tic

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2012
    Messages:
    148
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Midrand
    If you want a bubble nest put something for him to blow the nest under(floating plant/polystyrene cup or bubble wrap). Some males will only build the nest during the spawn
     
  11. OP
    Javei

    Javei

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2013
    Messages:
    565
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    pretoria
    I think the female is a bit younger, how do I know the male is too old?
     
  12. keith1964

    keith1964 Keith

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    First you would need to condition (2 weeks) the pair and only let them see each other for a few minutes at a time. Make sure that you keep your water level low and make sure that you heater is sumbmersible. Also your male should be bigger than your female as he will not be able to embrace her to squeeze out her eggs.
    Female should show the white egg spot under her belly and be plumpy. Turn off all air bubbles or sponge filter. You would need to obtain a micro-worm culture a week before you let them spawn. Also keep Liqui-fry (1) on standby and bbs eggs. You would need to make your own bbs hatchery, you would need 2 hatcheries to run at 1 day apart internals so that you have newly hatched brine shrimp ready available.

    Try an post pictures of your pair.
     
  13. St@tic

    St@tic

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2012
    Messages:
    148
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Midrand
    It's hard to tell age when you didn't buy them from a breeder. If he is active and healthy he will breed just make sure the pair is almost same size another wise the male will kill her
     
  14. OP
    Javei

    Javei

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2013
    Messages:
    565
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    pretoria
    Oky my male and female is in the same tank now, so I must move her out? The tank is about 30x22x22, with submerchable heater
     
  15. OP
    Javei

    Javei

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2013
    Messages:
    565
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    pretoria
    Can't I split them with a divider?
     
  16. keith1964

    keith1964 Keith

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    What I have done I am using 2L Plastic Coke bottles, cut the top and bottom off and then I used a heat gun and pierce small holes around the circumference so that fresh water can circulate into the bottle. Also make sure to the keep this container clean. I will then place this container inside the spawning tank and place female inside so they can see each other. I have been using this method since breeding bettas and works well. I will only release female once the bubblenest has been built and female start showing signs of white eggs spot and belly looking plumby and vertical bars showing.
     
  17. OP
    Javei

    Javei

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2013
    Messages:
    565
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    pretoria
    How do I kake the bottle stsy at one place?
     
  18. keith1964

    keith1964 Keith

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    With bottom and top being cut off and the holes pierce all around the circumference of the bottle allows water into the bottle. This will allow the male to keep an eye on the female as well protect her against his aggression.
     
  19. OP
    Javei

    Javei

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2013
    Messages:
    565
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    pretoria
    Sorry about spelling errors above, my phone freezed while I was typing and I saw the mistakes after I posted it. Back to betta's: I putted a coke bottle in there with the female inside, heater is set on 24 and there is a plant and bubble wrap floating around in the tank. I'm going to buy styrofoam cups tonight when I'm going to the shop. Uhm what have I missed?
     
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  20. OP
    Javei

    Javei

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2013
    Messages:
    565
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    pretoria
    The female have a very dark colour, and bends down when the male comes near her, he glares at her, flap everything and swims around as if something is biting him
     
  21. Mitch StayC

    Mitch StayC Mitch

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2012
    Messages:
    374
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Fourways, Johannesburg
    I was just reading about betta breeding and it is a good sign that the female is bending down, it means she is ready. :) if your male is finished with the bubblenest i guess its time to let her out. If he hasnt got a bubble nest dont let her out.
     
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Breeding siamese fighting Forum Date
Breeding shrimp query Breeding May 18, 2026
Guppy breeding and selection guidelines needed please. Breeding Feb 14, 2025
Advice on Three Spot Gurami breeding needed. Breeding Jan 18, 2025
Wanted: L46 Breeding Pair / Colony Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 4, 2024
Neolamprologus Multifaciatus (Shell dweller) breeding tank Breeding Jan 27, 2024
Trying our hand at Betta breeding Breeding Nov 25, 2023
Rili Shrimp Long Tem Breeding\Stripes General Discussions Jul 13, 2023

Share This Page