Breeding Neon Tetra

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by col182, May 15, 2015.

  1. Jaco83

    Jaco83

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2014
    Messages:
    349
    Likes Received:
    42
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Should work for most fish. Not all, but most...
     
  2. Guest




  3. Edward

    Edward

    Joined:
    May 8, 2015
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Western Cape - Bellville
    Pleasure @col182 I hope it works for you. I have never bothered to breed neons before, eventhough they have spawned in my tanks before without intervention, but off course all the eggs got eaten. Good luck.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. Edward

    Edward

    Joined:
    May 8, 2015
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Western Cape - Bellville
    Hi Scuba,

    I've done it with Black Ruby barbs and Cherry barbs before, but they don't need much encouragement to spawn.
     
  5. tanked72

    tanked72

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2015
    Messages:
    1,439
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well my albino cory just laid eggs first time I have ever had fish lay eggs
     
  6. ig11

    ig11

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2014
    Messages:
    114
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Empangeni
    Nice
     
  7. guillaume

    guillaume

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2014
    Messages:
    541
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Pretoria eats garsfontein
    Issu with breading is you some times get stuck with an over populated tank ^^
     
  8. OP
    col182

    col182

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    Messages:
    204
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Boksburg
    Hi all , sorry for no new updates , work been keeping me busy , had to go up to the limpopo for the weekend so i have not manage to get things going , will up date this weekend hopefully and start getting the ball rolling again.
     
  9. tanked72

    tanked72

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2015
    Messages:
    1,439
    Likes Received:
    0
    No. Problem we all know work lol
     
  10. tanked72

    tanked72

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2015
    Messages:
    1,439
    Likes Received:
    0
    so how is it going with the neons @col182
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. OP
    col182

    col182

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    Messages:
    204
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Boksburg
    hi @tanked72 , to be honest i am not sure lol , been really busy so haven't kept as up to date with it as I should have , Changed females and the one in the spawning tank is now a lot thinner then she was when i put her in, can't see any babies but i do have all those leaves in the bottom, I will be taking the pair out and then checking from time to time to see if any fry appear out of the leaves and will let you know.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. tanked72

    tanked72

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2015
    Messages:
    1,439
    Likes Received:
    0
    Crossing my fingers for you @col182 I hope you find some fry swimming around that would be great after all the effort you put into this project
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. guillaume

    guillaume

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2014
    Messages:
    541
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Pretoria eats garsfontein
    Have you Had any luck on breading them ?
     
  14. OP
    col182

    col182

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    Messages:
    204
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Boksburg
    Hi @guillaume unfortunately I had to take the whole thing down , the good news was I did get them to spawn but it was in the conditioning tank and not in the spawning tank so the eggs were eaten , I am currently redoing my breeding setup to continue with some breeding but I am undecided whether I will give Neons another go or something else , I have that whole problem of to many fish I want to breed and to little space and tanks lol
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  15. OP
    col182

    col182

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    Messages:
    204
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Boksburg
    uploadfromtaptalk1453531981402.jpg here's a pic of the new setup I am working on to get things going again

    uploadfromtaptalk1453531981402.jpg
     
  16. guillaume

    guillaume

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2014
    Messages:
    541
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Pretoria eats garsfontein
    @col182 thats awasem congrads how did you condision them ? Also did you lower the ph in that tank or not ? Thanx for the reply good luck with the new project
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  17. OP
    col182

    col182

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    Messages:
    204
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Boksburg
    @guillaume I used mostly frozen foods to condition them I would use blood worms one day , shrimp on day 2, daphnia on day 3 then start from blood worms again , they would also still get a small amount of flake food every day too , the pH I cheated a bit , I ended up buying water that was already slightly lower ph , if you shop around you can get buy still water in 5 litre bottles that have a ph of 6.8 and is very soft that has already been put through a reverse osmosis process that removes heavy metals and most of the minerals.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  18. OP
    col182

    col182

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    Messages:
    204
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Boksburg
    O but do a little research before using reverse osmosis water , fish do need a certain amount of minerals in the water to stay healthy so u might need to add some in to the water or you can mix about 10% tap water with the RO water
     
  19. Pezulu

    Pezulu

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2015
    Messages:
    3,417
    Likes Received:
    1,393
    Location:
    Centurion
    What is the difference between RO and O3 water?
    Oasis water sells water, and if you bring your own container, it works out to about R1-00 a litre.
     
  20. OP
    col182

    col182

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    Messages:
    204
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Boksburg
    @Pezulu basically oasis water just has a few extra steps in it , they use uv and ozonation to "sterilise" the water , they also use RO in the process of making their water so basically oasis water is RO water that has been sterilised using ozonation and uv treatment
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  21. quattro

    quattro

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2014
    Messages:
    540
    Likes Received:
    17
    @Pezulu.
    You can take your containers to dorry pets and get treated RO water from them at R1 a litre.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Breeding Neon Tetra Forum Date
Breeding neons Advanced Topics Jun 3, 2010
Breeding shrimp query Breeding May 18, 2026
Guppy breeding and selection guidelines needed please. Breeding Feb 14, 2025
Advice on Three Spot Gurami breeding needed. Breeding Jan 18, 2025
Wanted: L46 Breeding Pair / Colony Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 4, 2024
Neolamprologus Multifaciatus (Shell dweller) breeding tank Breeding Jan 27, 2024
Trying our hand at Betta breeding Breeding Nov 25, 2023

Share This Page