Breeding Log - Black Pair Crown Tails

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by keith1964, Jul 24, 2012.

  1. keith1964

    keith1964 Keith

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Now my Black Crown Tail pair has spawned.

    Last night my pair of Black Crown Tail's had spawning. About 18:30 I release female from her holding chamber, male had not built a nest at that moment. Immediately releasing her their was instant embrassing not chasing. First couple of embrassing eggs fell to the bottom. I then left the couple as I needed to see my brother. At first I thought the male was eating the eggs, but his belly was not get full. When I arrived back at about 8:00 I noticed their were eggs in the one corner of the wax wrap where he had put them. Female was not givig him a chance to release the eggs from his mouth. Once the pair start sync with each other it became better after every egg releasing. Eventually both were collecting eggs after about 10:00 I removed her. Male is moving eggs around the bubble nest which is currently building.

    2012-07-16 21.07.15.jpg

    CT - Black Female.jpg
     
  2. Guest




  3. OP
    keith1964

    keith1964 Keith

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Yesterday eggs started to hatch and by this morning nest full of little tails, last night their were fry already free swimming. I added some infusoria and liqui-fry.

    Male flares at me when I approach the tank.
     
  4. Charles

    Charles

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1,000
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Pretoria, Thaba Tshwane, 0187
    Congrats @keith1964, I see you're getting the hang of this now. Great stuff, one of these days we will be producing plenty of A grade Show Quality Betta's for S.A. and don't have to import at such high costs anymore. Told you it's addictive.lol.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. OP
    keith1964

    keith1964 Keith

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi Charles, thanks

    I still have more pairs that I would like to spawn, first going to raise these fry. I have 3 more breeding tanks set-up which I am going to get my HM white; HM red dragon and HM yellow or my HM Salamander Plakat pairs to spawn.

    I have become so addictive that I am sitting on good quality males and females. I got rid of my local bettas and opt for the imports.
     
  6. OP
    keith1964

    keith1964 Keith

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Removed male last night as fry started to become free swimming. The side view glass was scattered full with fry sticking to the glass.
     
  7. Boomslang

    Boomslang

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2012
    Messages:
    124
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Nice going Keith! Looking forward to some more pics. Where did you get your imports from?
     
  8. OP
    keith1964

    keith1964 Keith

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Altum imported all my bettas from Thialand, I will be trying line breeding with some of my selected pairs. I have a variety of stunning males & females not going for the normal red, blue or green. I started with the local petshop bettas but when I saw these stunning bettas I dropped everything and now I am just concentrating on them. I am trying to get a more variety of females in halfmoons, crowntails and doubletails. I have currently over 16 males and 14 females. I will be loading up more updated photos of all my bettas.
     
  9. OP
    keith1964

    keith1964 Keith

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Fry are doing fine, feeding them a mixture of the following foods QF Baby Fry Food, microworms, infosuria, Liqui-fry and QN Brine Shrimp. I try to alternate their food giving them a variety so that they do not get use to same foods. The batch of fry is large, will have to move some fry over to another grow out tank later.
     
  10. OP
    keith1964

    keith1964 Keith

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Lowered the water level to 5cm and added 1 drop prime for ammonia. Have not seen much fry dead as yet, but their are plenty of fry swimming around the tank.
     
  11. BigFish

    BigFish

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2008
    Messages:
    149
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Robertsham ,Jhb South
    congrats. locallly bred bettas .
    PICS PICS:viking:
     
  12. OP
    keith1964

    keith1964 Keith

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    The correct identification of my black crown tail bettas " Crown Tail Black Orchid". Last night I start adding 250ml aged water and fry started eating newly hatched baby brine shrimp.
     
  13. OP
    keith1964

    keith1964 Keith

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Fry are doing fine and slowly increasing the water level in fry tank.
     
  14. Charles

    Charles

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1,000
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Pretoria, Thaba Tshwane, 0187
    Hi @keith1964, glad to hear your fry are doing well.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  15. OP
    keith1964

    keith1964 Keith

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    fry are still doing fine if i look at the batch could be well over 200 fry. They are now starting their week 3, still feeding newly hatched brine shrimp and microworms. Will be introducing crushed foods.
     
  16. jpvd007

    jpvd007 Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2011
    Messages:
    1,040
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Dunsborough, Westen Australia
    Take a pic of the babies and we will help you count them?
     
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  17. OP
    keith1964

    keith1964 Keith

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I would love to take pictures of the fry but they are all over the spawning tank, preapring a 60L tank for them to grow-out. Their are a number of larger fry in the batch which I will move over much later. At the moment trying to keep tank as clean as possible and it is a mission with this large batch. Slowly increasing the water level, with the low water level makes it much easier for the fry to get to the food source. Most of the fry are now swimming near the base of the tank to feed.
     
  18. OP
    keith1964

    keith1964 Keith

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    fry are doing great and like pigs
     
  19. OP
    keith1964

    keith1964 Keith

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Fry are still doing great and eating like pigs, tank is almost full with water. Fry are growing and colours are visible, tank looks completely black. Their are some bigger fry in the batch. Everyday I add about a litre of prepared water into the tank. I have a 60L tank running at the moment where I am preparing my water for the tanks. I decided to set-up this tank to grow-out my fry.
     
  20. johanbosman

    johanbosman

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Messages:
    160
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Kilnerpark,Pretoria
    Hey Keith1964.Post some pics please.Would like to see them.:nuts::smile:
     
  21. OP
    keith1964

    keith1964 Keith

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    535
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Will be moving over some of the larger fry to a grow-out tank.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...

Share This Page