Bn’s And Plecos

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by Cheetah, Aug 2, 2010.

  1. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    I think I'm gonna kick myself..... Apart my Choc Gouramis, the second "most wanted" fish (By myself) is BN's......

    Now one pet store which I stopped at far, far from here, had some tiny fish about 1" long which the pet shop owner could not tell me (without doubt) that they are BN's.... We both eventually concluded that they are probably normal Plecos, so I did not buy any as I'm already overstocked on those.....

    Now in afterthought, I'm beginning to think (more & more) that they could have been BN's and I should've bought them..... What is the obvious telltale differences between 1" BN's and Plecos...... (and of course, my bad old age eyesight - even with glasses on- does not really help if it is not an obvious difference)

     
  2. Guest




  3. 10i

    10i catfish-a-holic

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2010
    Messages:
    329
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    East London
    i bought a book on bn, and the easiest way to tell is the position of the fins. bn have longer ventral fins than normal plecos by at least double.
     
  4. Lizid

    Lizid

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,652
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Bn’s And Plecos

    You did not make a bad choice I bought a "BN" only to put it my tank and the damn thing won't stop growing now I am stick with a monster fish and now where to put it at this point in time... The I'D could be really really bad for you...
     
  5. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    Pardon my ignorance but whats a BN?
     
  6. PeterWest

    PeterWest

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2010
    Messages:
    255
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Northern Suburbs, Cape Town
    Britlenose pleco or bushy nose
     
  7. A Bauer

    A Bauer Guest

    BN = Bristlenose
     
  8. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    Thanks. Sometimes I can miss the obvious 8o
     
  9. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    So... Obviously turned out to be a Pleco for you... I'm seriously looking for at least 8 adult BN's....
     
  10. Trevor Pleco

    Trevor Pleco

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    Messages:
    470
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Klein Constantia, Cape
    I have a pair of hifin BN plecos, which are doing their foreplay dance as I write this, so the eggs should be laid tonight, their fourth batch in two months. If I can get my act together I must film it. The male (120mm) is an albino, but is more gold in colour with a spectacular 70 to 80mm dorsal and large veil like pectorals, so together with his huge bristles, it's not difficult to see why they are often called Dragon plecos. The female is also a hifin, but spotted and is smaller at 100mm. Apart from the male having a tantrum and destroying a large anubia, as it was in the way of his nest log, they seem in general to be fine with my plants. Thy are great algae cleaners, but can rasp the leaves of larger plants, mainly the Amazons, but have given this up, since feeding them sliced baby marrows and lettuce three or four times a week. Overall a very entertaining fish and the stars of the tank.

    I feel 8 adult b/n plecos in your tank would be over the top,unless it's a massive tank. Hope this helps..
     
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  11. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    And how I envy you....
     
  12. Trevor Pleco

    Trevor Pleco

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    Messages:
    470
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Klein Constantia, Cape
    was just editing my reply, when you beat me to it..
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Bn’s Plecos Forum Date
Freebie: Common plecos Wanted/Swop/Freebies Nov 2, 2024
Starlight plecos L183 General Discussions Sep 10, 2024
Starlight plecos Community Tanks Feb 27, 2024
Wanted: Plecos L144, L201,L333 Wanted/Swop/Freebies May 5, 2022
What plecos is this. ID Needed Dec 12, 2021
Wanted : Plecos Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jan 6, 2021
Swop: 2 x Common Plecos to swop Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 29, 2020

Share This Page