Betta's caught me off guard

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Double-D, Aug 16, 2011.

  1. Double-D

    Double-D David

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2011
    Messages:
    452
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Secunda, Mpumalanga
    I was busy grooming my multicolor Betta Splendens male for breeding and about 3 days ago introduced 4 females to the tank. Did the Styrofoam cup way but the male was very tardy with making a bubble nest. Last night we had a power outage in our town and the temperature of the water dropped to about 20 degrees. This morning power was restored so the water started heating up and by 4 in the afternoon he already had the cup half full bubbles and I have 2 of the 4 females getting bars and 1 is showing the horizontal stripes. This is where the problem comes in... At this rate I am going to have fry within the week and NO infusoria. Did spot some microworm in the breeding tank but not nearly enough. Got hold of Daro fry food (for egg layers) and was wondering if anyone had success with this food and if not ANY ADVICE?
     
  2. Guest




  3. windfire

    windfire

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2009
    Messages:
    1,150
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    joburg and pretoria. i cant travel to pta everyday
    i tried that and had no success with it. you could try getting some brineshrimp eggs from Sera. its like a lil packet and you put the contents in 1L of water and airate and i think its after 48hrs voila! baby brine shrimp. i also had the surprise spawn thing and couldnt find brine shrimp. eventually found it in a dinky lil petstore but long after i needed it.
     
  4. OP
    Double-D

    Double-D David

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2011
    Messages:
    452
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Secunda, Mpumalanga
    I do have powdered Daphnia if that would be worth something...? Spoke to the owner of our LPS (got him on speed dial) and he said he can help me with some baby brine shrimp in a day or 2. Just looking at options if things get thick before then
     
  5. OP
    Double-D

    Double-D David

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2011
    Messages:
    452
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Secunda, Mpumalanga
    How will frozen rotifers work on the newborns?
     
  6. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    I use the liqui fry food for egg spawners, dont have great success with it, but do have a bit, the most fry I have raised this year is 38 with the Liqui fry (infusoria) after the third day of free swimming you can feed newly hatched brine shrimp. I am currently also experementing with micro worms, problem is that micro worms dont swim, and betta fry mostly stick to the surface of the water, so a good infusoria culture will be the best bet. There is also a new food in SA, called Atisons Betta fry food, im trying that to, to see where I have the best results. I have over 100 fry @ the moment.
     
  7. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    These fry are 5 weeks old and raised on Atisons betta fry food.

    Babys2.jpg
     
  8. OP
    Double-D

    Double-D David

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2011
    Messages:
    452
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Secunda, Mpumalanga
    So Atisons does have a decent success rate by the look of things? Where can I get hold of this? Preferably a place that can ship it to me.
     
  9. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    @Double-D let me rather refrase, I only fed them the Atisons fry food for about for days, then went to newly hatched BS, but as we know the first 4 days is the toughest for them, as food needs to be small enough for them to eat. My new batch of fry, im trying the Liqui fry again only, then from tomorrow I wil feed newly hatched brine shrimp and micro worms. So far I have not lost any fry of the 100 +, and if still by tomorrow no fry have been lost, I will rather stick to the liqui fry then the Atisons, as the granules seems to be to big for the fry to eat, and since it is not live food, and betta fry takes a while to recognise it as food, it might be to late by the time they see it as food.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  10. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Agree with Hennie
     
  11. OP
    Double-D

    Double-D David

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2011
    Messages:
    452
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Secunda, Mpumalanga
    Problem for me being that the LPS doesn't have liqui fry and don't know where to get. I got an attempt at infusoria going with a plant I tried to propagate in water. Dunno how to check if there is infusoria in the water
     
  12. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    @Double-D there is plenty ways to culture infusoria, and to be honest with you I am no Guru in this, but I have read up on it, and it seems the best way to culture them is aged aquarium water, with a lettuce leaf in it, in a bottle. You leave it for a week or 2 where it can get some sunlight, then when the water turns cloudy, you know you got yourself a good batch of microscopic food "infusoria". I suggest you google it. Google is seldomly wrong, unlike my girlfriend who is never wrong....haha. Where exactly are you from? SUrely they must sell Liquifry @ one of your petshops? Speak to the manager of any petshop, they can order it in via one of their reps!
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Betta's caught guard Forum Date
Breeding Betta's Breeding Aug 4, 2020
My Betta's Gone (coco)nuts! Labyrinth Fish Sep 8, 2019
Koi & REAL Plakkat Betta's @ Pet Stop SA Pet Stop Mar 23, 2017
Crowntail Betta's Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 20, 2015
Basic Guide To Betta's General Fish Discussions Apr 17, 2015
Stunning Betta's General Discussions Apr 10, 2015
Wanted: good quality betta's wanted Wanted/Swop/Freebies Aug 20, 2014

Share This Page