Best fertiliser for planted tanks.

Discussion in 'Aquatic plants' started by Gnl Jakes, Dec 3, 2012.

  1. Gnl Jakes

    Gnl Jakes

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Johannesburg area
    Can all the aquascaping experts help me with some tips and tricks on the sequence and products to be used in a planted tank. I have not had very good results in the past regarding plants in my tank. I would however like to start a planted tank and keep that running seperate for a time period...
    I have a good source that is going to give me some grass and Java moss. So all the help is needed.
     
  2. Guest




  3. Gripen007

    Gripen007

    Joined:
    May 14, 2012
    Messages:
    113
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Krugersdorp, Gauteng
    Firstly I would say you need a moderate to high stock level of plants in your tank to be able to dose fertilizers without too much trouble
    Otherwise you will dose but get too much algae and then that would halt your dosing just to get rid of the algae.

    I am dosing KH2P04 in very small quantities alongside SaltPetre(KN03) and some Tropica Specialized Fertilizer. Then only Trelmix for traces and Iron but here there are a few simple products and ferts to use for this specific so you have a more broad choice here.

    I would say the KH2PO4, Tropica and SaltPetre are your three main sources to see results

    This is what works for me

    To get an idea on plant mass look at my tank: My 60L Nano Forest
     
  4. OP
    Gnl Jakes

    Gnl Jakes

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Johannesburg area
    Great. So u used pool filter sand? What did you use under the sand? What type of fertiliser? Where did you get it?
    And your CO2 system? What does it consist of? I bought the Seachem florish that helps with the carbon in the water. But that alone aren't sufficient.
     
  5. OP
    Gnl Jakes

    Gnl Jakes

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Johannesburg area
    @Seachem: any expert advice from your side?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    fertilizer is the best fertilizer. The one that works for you, will depend on your budget, and the size of the tank. There are loads of great quality ferts on the market, and everyone will say that their is the best...

    What you need to look for in a bottle is the following: NPK. Nitrate (Nitrogen) Phosphorus (Phosphate) and Potassium. These are your Macro Nutrients. The plants need these elements to survive. Then you get Trace elements like Iron, Boron, etc... There are a lot of traces, and one can get complete trace mixes for aquatic plant growth.

    Now it depends what you are after. Are you wanting to grow loads of stems quickly? Do you have low, medium or high lighting? Are you injecting Co2 into your tank? All these questions will help us to help direct you to a desired fertilization regimen that will suit your needs.
     
  7. OP
    Gnl Jakes

    Gnl Jakes

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Johannesburg area
    @Sean J,
    Thanks. Well, I am starting off small. 2ft tank with nothing. This will be a planted tank only. Lighting will be moderate to high.
    I have not opted for the CO2 system yet, because that is expensive at this moment. Will use Seachem Flourish in the beginning for all CO puposes.
    I like the PFP and chemicult subsrate additive method. So I will persue that in the begining.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    Ok, that's some useful information...

    So here goes:

    With moderate to high lighting, and no Co2, you will have algae issues. Co2 is an accelerator pedal for plant growth. If you have too much Fertilizer and lighting and not enough Co2, you will get algae. Excel will work, but then you will need to look at lowering your light cycle, and also cutting back on your fertilization. Just remember that Excel is not a fertilizer, but a carbon source for your plants. You will need to add extra Macro and Micro fertilizers.

    My opinion of PFP... It's messy. If you want to rescape at a later stage, it will be very messy because you will pull roots out and you will get PFP all over the tank. I hate it. It makes the water yellow as well. I know a lot of people have used this method very well in the past, but I hate it. Go and get yourself the best substrate that you can afford. It will be worth it in the long run, I assure you.

    Even using DIY Co2 will benefit your plants. Try it out and see how it works for you.

    There are loads of Aquarium Plant Fertilizers on the market. Do a little research and make a decision that will work for you in the long run. Budget wise, as well as plant growth wise.
     
  9. Ammar

    Ammar

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2012
    Messages:
    2,517
    Likes Received:
    425
    Location:
    Symhurst, Germiston
    what effect does excel have on plants such as moss and Valis? I have been warned about moss melting with excel..
     
  10. OP
    Gnl Jakes

    Gnl Jakes

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Johannesburg area
    Ok.
    What about that tablet CO2 system? I heard that that also works.
    I know Seachem also has subsrates available. Will do some research on them. I do agree with you on the mess part of the PFP.
    Will cut down on the lighting cycles.
    what is your view on Seachem' tablets that you put in your substrate?
     
  11. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    I have never had a problem of plants melting using Excel. I know there are some plants which are sensitive to it, like Vallis and some mosses, but I have not had any issues.

    I used to have Vallis in my Cube before I rescaped some time back. I purposely dosed excel to kill the vallis. It just grew stronger. This tank also had fissidens in it, which is a moss that is said to be sensitive to excel. It had no effect on that either.

    All I can say is: Use with caution if you have plants which are reported to be sensitive to excel. I have a 200L High Tech planted tank, with Aquasoil as a substrate and I dose ferts every day. This may be the reason the excel didn't hurt the plants? I am not sure.
     
  12. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    I have used the Seachem Flourish Root Tabs in the past for Crypts and Swords. They work quite well.

    Bare in mind that I supply Tropica and ADA products, and I no longer use the Seachem Root Tabs, but there is nothing wrong with using them. Just don't try and use any root tablets as an all in one way to supply your plants with nutrients. They need to be used in conjunction with other products.
     
  13. OP
    Gnl Jakes

    Gnl Jakes

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Johannesburg area
    Ok. Where did you get the Aqua soil?
    Can you mabe post pictures of your current layout?
     
  14. OP
    Gnl Jakes

    Gnl Jakes

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Johannesburg area
    @The Planted Tank.
    Can you guys help?
     
  15. OP
    Gnl Jakes

    Gnl Jakes

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Johannesburg area
    Sorry @Sean J.
    Only put 2 and 2 together now!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  16. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    LOL! I get my Aquasoil from Japan. But you can get it at Dorry Pets. I am the ADA distributor.

    But anyway... Here is a fairly recent pic of my new setup. It's a 60cm tank, with Aquasoil, Rock and some Hairgrass only. I set it up last weekend.
    [​IMG]

    And this is my 600mm x 600mm x 500mm Cube. It is due to be rescaped soon.
    [​IMG]
     
  17. OP
    Gnl Jakes

    Gnl Jakes

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Johannesburg area
    Weel done!!!!
    What is the price on the Aqua soil?
    Do you still have good prices on your CO2 systems?
     
  18. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    I no longer import those budget Co2 systems. I have decided to go for professional Quality products instead. But @Altum could sort you out with Co2. He has some stuff around.

    The Aquasoil is priced at the stores. But it goes for around R370 upwards per 9L bag. 1 x 9L bag will be enough for a 2ft system.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  19. OP
    Gnl Jakes

    Gnl Jakes

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Johannesburg area
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  20. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    Pleasure! If you need any help, just drop me a pm.
     
  21. OP
    Gnl Jakes

    Gnl Jakes

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Johannesburg area
    @Moolis.
    Can you give some input ans some pricing please.
    On Aqua soil
    CO2 Systems
    ext.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Best fertiliser planted Forum Date
Best way to heat a fishroom General Discussions May 25, 2024
Best way to nuke snails General Discussions May 5, 2023
What's the best place in JHB to buy accessories? Beginner Discussions Mar 2, 2022
Best Gravel or sand for a low tank. General Discussions Feb 7, 2022
New 24" tank setup- best starter options for a beginner Beginner Discussions Sep 28, 2021
RSS Feed Top 5 Best Refugium Lights RSS Feeds Jul 29, 2021
RSS Feed Best Canister Filter RSS Feeds May 11, 2021

Share This Page