Backup power

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by dash, Apr 2, 2013.

  1. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Hi all.

    Does any one use backup power on the tank? If so what backup do you use. Looking for a UPS or a power inverter but not sure wich one to go for. Any ideas? Thanks
     
    Javei likes this.
  2. Guest




  3. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Have 2 UPS but to be honest I've never got round to connecting them :embarrest:
     
  4. Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I have a inverter and a generator as backup.
     
  5. Good_Times

    Good_Times Kalahari Sandhaai

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2012
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Upington
  6. Aqii

    Aqii

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2013
    Messages:
    172
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    SA
    That's quite neat and uncomplicated. How can one ensure the battery is always charged though? Does one "charge and store" or is there a method of continuous charge?
     
  7. Neels

    Neels

    Joined:
    May 21, 2012
    Messages:
    251
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Elspark, Germiston
    From what I can see from the link pictures, the system is connected in such a way that the battery will be continuously charge while you are using the system.

    It's basically the same as a UPS, without all the fancy lights and buttons and beeps when the power is off.

    You can't store a lead acid battery over long periods of time. It wastes away, but if you run the system permanently, you won't need to store the battery, because you'll be using it all the time.
     
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  8. richardnuss

    richardnuss

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2010
    Messages:
    148
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Paulshof - JHB
    I use an old UPS from the office - it is set up to the airpumps only (it will not keep power for heaters and big pumps etc.), so it keeps movement in the tank and filter and I have run it for 5 hours (that's the longest I have been without power). I have calculated it would last for 8 hours - that should be enough unless there is a major issue.

    No added connections, and like a traditional UPS, switches over automatically if the power trips.
     
  9. OP
    dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Hi. Good article. I have got a Similar setup. Got an inverter and Battery' gives me about an hour of power. I can power an fx5, heater and a juwel filter. I need to get my self a good deep cycle battery. Any ideas?
     
  10. OP
    dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
  11. OP
    dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Backup power Forum Date
Backup power during outages? General Equipment discussion Jun 14, 2018
Backup power supply at great price Anything DIY related Nov 17, 2014
backup power supply for tank Anything DIY related Jun 22, 2014
Backup power supply General Discussions Sep 4, 2012
Backup Power General Equipment discussion Nov 18, 2009
Electric Timers with Battery Backup General Discussions Dec 28, 2022
Battery backup for a DC water pump General Equipment discussion Feb 5, 2021

Share This Page