Background

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Derek, Aug 4, 2012.

  1. Derek

    Derek My Little Baby

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2010
    Messages:
    146
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Randburg
    The background in my 6ft tank is black. I would like to make it lighter and am thinking of changing it to light blue.

    My setup will be changing and there will be lots of barbs and loaches in it.

    Would you agree with changing the background colour?
     
  2. Guest




  3. Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    Hi @Derek, it depends on what barbs and loaches you intend to keep. If you decide to change. There is a background on the market that gradually changes from dark blue to light blue. This should bring out color on the bottom dwellers quite good. What barbs and loaches are you going for? Color substrate?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. BigFish

    BigFish

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2008
    Messages:
    149
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Robertsham ,Jhb South
    Yes it depends on the types of fish .
    Personally i prefer black/darker backgrounds & gravel.
    In case you unsure there was a background that was black on one side & blue on the other.
     
  5. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I used black vynil. Worked awesome
     
  6. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    I like black too. The gravel in my tank is black, and I must say it does give the tank an overall gloomy/brooding look. (which I like)

    I think blue backgrounds give a tank more of a marine look.

    In the end, it all comes down to personal preference.
     
  7. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Hehe blue backgrounds give a petshop look for me
     
  8. OP
    Derek

    Derek My Little Baby

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2010
    Messages:
    146
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Randburg
    Thanks everyone. There are going to be tiger barbs, rosy barbs, cherry barbs, odessa barbs, chequered barbs and torpedo barbs if I can get some. Then also kuhli loaches, clown loaches, zebra loaches, skunk loaches and pakistani loaches.
    The substrate will be a very light coloured sand.
    At the moment its a painted black background but makes the tank very dark, which I don't really like.
     
  9. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Backgrounds are personal choice.
     
  10. Boomslang

    Boomslang

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2012
    Messages:
    124
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I removed my black background a couple of days ago in order to apply another more matte black one (mbuna tank). However much to my surprise I found that I actually liked the look of the tank without a background and just with the cream coloured wall behind the tank. Accordingly I held off applying the new background thinking that I would reapply it as soon as I got sick of looking at my fish without one... long story short I find that I am growing to like the tank more and more without the background- it just looks roomier... so as Zoom says its all down to personal choice and change is good every so often!
     
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Background Forum Date
3D Background DIY local Anything DIY related Jun 2, 2020
Fish Tank Backgrounds Anything DIY related Oct 21, 2019
3d backgrounds Anything DIY related Sep 22, 2018
Background painting Anything DIY related Apr 13, 2018
Freebie: Tank background - Cape town Wanted/Swop/Freebies Apr 2, 2018
Aqua Background Beginner Discussions Sep 24, 2017
RSS Feed 7 beautiful background aquarium plants RSS Feeds Feb 8, 2017

Share This Page