Baby food

Discussion in 'Community Tanks' started by Phinix, Mar 12, 2012.

  1. Phinix

    Phinix

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2011
    Messages:
    161
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Noordhoek
    Morning, so I turned on my main tank this morning and to my surprise saw many babies at the top.
    Of course as soon as the other fish saw this the gouramis to the penguin fish started breakfast.
    So I decided since I have a planted tank I was growing out I would save them.
    Well I managed to get around 35, and as far as I can tell they are from my female sailfin molly.

    What I need to know is, for food can I just finely crush up flake food, or do they need something specific?
    And how often must I feed them, once or twice a day? (Note that the planted tank does have some algae in it)
     
  2. Guest




  3. Charles

    Charles

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1,000
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Pretoria, Thaba Tshwane, 0187
    Hi @Phinix, feed small amounts 4 times daily... smal amounts. You get liquid food for fry, the live bearer type that you can feed them for the first couple of days, after about three days, feed them baby brine shrimp for about two weeks and after that start introducing baby powder flakes and ween them of the BBS, after that just flakes and some micro pellets and your set. HTH.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. BBQ

    BBQ

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2012
    Messages:
    1,023
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I just use a product called
    Tetra min baby. Very rich in smell too.
    And mix bbs now and then but this makes them
    Focus on flake type of food from
    Day one. My mollys babies got munched up really quick
    By
    The female siemes as she is a hunter but for guppies that's what I use.
    I never seen my gorumari eating other frys, but you never know
     
  5. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
    Well, I'm absolutely sure that bbs would go down a treat, but I have reared healthy livebearers (mollies,platys,guppies) on just crushed adult food... good quality flakes ground to a fine powder in a bank bag, when the fry were a little bigger, I crushed granules between two stones. High tech? :bigsmile: Hell no, but it worked for me!
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Baby food Forum Date
Baby food General Discussions Jul 7, 2009
Baby Guppies available General Discussions Oct 23, 2024
Wanted: Looking for Baby Red Oscars Wanted/Swop/Freebies Apr 14, 2023
Freebie: Baby Gold Fish, Free Wanted/Swop/Freebies Nov 11, 2021
Bronze Cory babies and one unknown baby. Breeding Nov 9, 2021
Wanted : dwarf baby tears Aquatic plants Jun 26, 2021
New baby Apistos General Discussions May 26, 2021

Share This Page