Baby bristles found in community tank!!

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Seano, Oct 29, 2013.

  1. Seano

    Seano

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2012
    Messages:
    33
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Stellenbosch
    Found around 15 baby BN's being guarded by their dad inside a piece of driftwood this morning...

    What should I do with them???

    Reason I ask is that I am moving in 6 weeks time...So not really sure what to do!!

    Any advice will be appreciated...

    Seano.

    photo (2).jpg
     
  2. Guest




  3. hviviers75

    hviviers75

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    4,789
    Likes Received:
    196
    Location:
    Brakpan
    Hi nice man well done, all you could do is place half a piece of baby marrow uncooked in your tank and leave it in for 2 days repeat this every 3rd to 4th day.

    They really grow quickly this way. Just place a rock on the baby marrows so it does not float up to the surface.
     
  4. <<Nemo>>

    <<Nemo>>

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2011
    Messages:
    359
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Somerset West, Helderberg
    He told me he has other fish in the tank as well (community setup).. Won't that be a bit of a problem with fry that small. I think that's more the problem he is sitting with.
     
  5. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    Depens on the fish u have with them? Larger fish will snack on them, but they will hide untill free swimming phase, after that they should b fine from predators.
     
  6. Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Oh wow! Congratulations!
     
  7. chickenbeef

    chickenbeef

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2013
    Messages:
    143
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    /\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
    Is there a specific reason why the baby marrow should be uncooked?

    I find it easier to get it to stay at the bottom of the tank if I leave it in a cup of boiling water for a few hours before adding it to the tank.
     
  8. hviviers75

    hviviers75

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    4,789
    Likes Received:
    196
    Location:
    Brakpan
    Cause the bn plecos can eat it hard or uncooked it is good for them. Ask the bm pleco breeders. I was informed by one that it is not needed to cook it.

    Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
     
  9. mark stotesbury

    mark stotesbury

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2013
    Messages:
    108
    Likes Received:
    7
    just dip the marrow in boiling water for a few minutes to remove the waxy layer on the skin , uncooked is better as it stays firmer longer in the water .As long as there is plenty hiding places in the tank babies should be fine .Well done !!!!
     
  10. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    I have spawned a couple of batches....what I have learned is that there is no right or wrong, boiled or unboiled, it really doesnt matter...but the can only start eating thru the skin @ a surten age, thats why I slice my marrow thru the half, then use suckers to keep them down, the suckers with the 2 plactic ponts, I then press the baby marrow into these points, and the suckers keeps them down, I basicly replace the marrow dailly. My other tank I feed no marrow or anything else, and my bristles in there grew twice as fast? Wy? I have no idea, as marrow normally increase growth rate.

    Good luck raising them, they are by far the easiest fish to raise that I have spawned, and a real pleasure to watch as they get older and some personality, and start fighting over who`s baby marrow it is.
     
  11. OP
    Seano

    Seano

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2012
    Messages:
    33
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Stellenbosch
    Morning everyone...

    So last night after training, I decided to try and catch the little okes...

    Managed to do so quite successfully... So i now have around 18 - 20 little BN's...(See pics) - I added a few small pieces of cucumber last night, and they were happily chomping down on it this morning.

    @HennieRoux - You say you've raised a number of batches... So this question is directed at you, as well as anyone who can help me!

    - How often do I do a water change?? And should I do the water change, should I just use normal tap water??

    Thanks guys.

    Looking forward to your responses...

    babies 1.jpg

    babies 2.jpg

    baby.jpg
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. Cle07044

    Cle07044

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2013
    Messages:
    168
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Middelburg Mpumalanga
    Can you please attach some photos of plastic suckers that you use.
     
  13. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    freakin awesome
     
  14. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    Sucker BN

    @Cle07044 here is some pics, can get them @ most lfs.

    @Seano wc is the same as most fry or fish, i do 30% twice a week, but if u gonna cook your marrow it will get messy, so u might need more.

    Please use mature wster for wc, i use prime to dechlorenate.

    20131025_175934.jpg

    20131025_180254.jpg
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  15. Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @HennieRoux - you are just a fountain of information! :bigsmile: I was "complaining" last night that there must be a better way than attaching the marrow to a fork and having to fish it out (my tank's an armpit wetter) and here you have the solution. Ingenious!

    @Seano - they are beautiful. All the best with raising them!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  16. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    Haha thanks @Dinky works well on bare bottom, if u dont have a bare bottom tank, then the side will do. Also dont forget to use algae wafers and cucumber sliced, the mini cucumbers works well as they are the same size ashe baby marrows.

    Oh and for your larger males, you can buy large marrows @ woolies, only the best for your fishies....so zhooosh, haha
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  17. blueskipjack

    blueskipjack

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2012
    Messages:
    179
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    Hi I have raised a few batches of BN fry and agree with Hennie.If you feed cooked babymarrow do water changes every two days.Replace the marrow once a day.I use tap water with prime for the cloor.I must say it might not be nessesery to change every two days.You only have a small fry.I have three lots of fry in one tank over six weeks period and there is about 100 fry per batch.Moved some over to grow out tanks and do a water change every second.I see it also help with them growing better.Good luck.Feel free to ask if you need any more advice.I do not know everything but have learned a lot since I started breeding them.Algae wafers is also a good food to feed to them.Mine luv it.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Baby bristles found Forum Date
Baby Guppies available General Discussions Oct 23, 2024
Wanted: Looking for Baby Red Oscars Wanted/Swop/Freebies Apr 14, 2023
Freebie: Baby Gold Fish, Free Wanted/Swop/Freebies Nov 11, 2021
Bronze Cory babies and one unknown baby. Breeding Nov 9, 2021
Wanted : dwarf baby tears Aquatic plants Jun 26, 2021
New baby Apistos General Discussions May 26, 2021
Where to buy baby Flowerhorn in JHB? General Fish Discussions Jan 19, 2021

Share This Page