Are fish sensitive to day/night light cycles?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Cheetah, Dec 3, 2014.

  1. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Do you think that day/night cycles are important to fish??.... is it cruel to leave the lights on in a fishroom during the night??…..


    Currently… I leave the lights on 24/7, as… in past experience… I have lost more fry and/or eggs being eaten by the parents during the period that I switched off after dark and then switch back on in the mornings…. I assume that their (Cichlid’s and Bubble nest builders) inability to fan and mouth the eggs during the darkness hours must have something to do with it, but… how do they do it in nature then??


    On the other hand…. when spawning egg scatterers… I find that putting males and females together just before lights out…. they spawn much more readily in the mornings about 30 minutes after the lights are switched on than they would if the lights remained on…..


    What would your advice be… leave the light on at night…. or switch it off??... (I’m talking fishroom here… and not display tank)….
     
  2. Guest




  3. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    Hi oom Cheetah

    What i know about this, is that yes it is important to them, fish room or display tank.

    Fish does go into a state of sleep, or where they shut down just like humans. If lights was off and you suddenoy had to put them on, you can clearly see it by loss of colour and them being not active.

    Leaving light on will put stress on your fish with out any doubt in my mind. And as you mention about the spawning part with lights off and on, same with weather changes and water changes that trigers spawning. They can feel the difference jyst like day and night.

    So yes i woyld say, gice them some lights off.
     
  4. DCWarHound

    DCWarHound

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2013
    Messages:
    1,059
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria,Sinoville
    I've been thinking of starting an experiment with dimming lights on a timer for my next tank.I'm not sure how well this will work on a planted tank though,i've been thinking of letting the lights start of very very dim and then work up to full power within 2 hours (the same for when it's time for lights off,except in reverse)
     
  5. Jack Stone

    Jack Stone Stone Aquaics

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2011
    Messages:
    926
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    100% - 24/7 lighting is no good! My breeding rooms runs on zero artificial lighting. Lunar phases are just as important to some fish.
     
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  6. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    I have found that if I leave the light on in my tank for longer than the cycle they are on now, they get very jumpy.
     
  7. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Hi guys. Very interesting question. I have to agree here. I think leaving the lights on 24 hours may become a problem. To answer your question about the eggs and babies getting eaten at night. I have also found this behavior.

    In the wild because of the large rivers the fish will move on after babies are born so this may be the case.
     
  8. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    @dash,
    I have read that Discus breeders leave a dim light on in their fish room.
    But this is not as bight as the normal tank/room lights.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  9. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    @Reedfish yes allot of the pro breeders leaves a slight light on, this helps the fry to find the parents, and also boosts growth as they eat more often. Cause its such a dim light, it doesnt really effect them as mush as keeping full light on the whole day.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - fish sensitive night Forum Date
Which of my fish Are the most sensitive to CO2 General Discussions Jul 9, 2020
Dr Says Deworm Your Fish Jungle Aquatics Jul 7, 2026
Your Betta Fish Has Seen Things. It's Time to Do Better Jungle Aquatics May 3, 2026
Looking for killifish General Fish Discussions Apr 21, 2026
Fish breeders Gauteng New members Apr 4, 2026
The secret to happy, stress-free pond fish. API Pond Stress Coat Jungle Aquatics Mar 25, 2026
Don't let your Fish stage a hunger strike! Jungle Aquatics Feb 27, 2026

Share This Page