Aquaruim photograph

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Gnl Jakes, Aug 13, 2012.

  1. Gnl Jakes

    Gnl Jakes

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Johannesburg area
    Are there any keen photographers that are Aquarists?
    Would like to hear of some technics that you use to capture your fish on film...:bigsmile:
     
  2. Guest




  3. Trevor Pleco

    Trevor Pleco

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    Messages:
    470
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Klein Constantia, Cape
    short question, long answer needed -- u talking about movie or stills ?
    Check out my utube link -

    http://www.youtube.com/v/u7ubQQy0iZU
     
  4. OP
    Gnl Jakes

    Gnl Jakes

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Johannesburg area
    Great job!
    Im actually talking about stills. Are you into stills aswell?
    You have a very nice tank. Where did you buy your tank?
     
  5. Trevor Pleco

    Trevor Pleco

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    Messages:
    470
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Klein Constantia, Cape
    either, that's my job, lol !
     
  6. OP
    Gnl Jakes

    Gnl Jakes

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Johannesburg area
    ah, great.
    What gear are you using for your stills?
     
  7. len.weideman

    len.weideman Planted tanks intrigue me

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Cape Town
    well...... I never get my fish to sit still and smile for me! Hahahaha.
    I will make it my mission to learn more about how to do it
     
  8. Trevor Pleco

    Trevor Pleco

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    Messages:
    470
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Klein Constantia, Cape
    have quite few bodies, but mainly a Canon 5D mk 2, shortly to be upgraded to mk3.. when it arrives
     
  9. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @len.weideman - I'm thinking we need to dope the fish before trying to photograph them or give them something really dificult to do - like woodwork! That should slow them down. I've been trying to take pics of my guppies since we spoke and all I get are blurs.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  10. OP
    Gnl Jakes

    Gnl Jakes

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Johannesburg area
    Jip, that is rather hard to get good photos.
    I am currently in the process of trying to perfect action photos of my Arowana caching its meal. That is especially hard when trying to use only the aquaruim light and no other artificial lighting. But getting it spot on, gives you spactacular, most realistic photos.
     
  11. OP
    Gnl Jakes

    Gnl Jakes

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Johannesburg area
    That some seriouse gear. I only started a while with the photography thing. I have a Canon D600.
    I found that using a fact lens like the 50mm F1.8 II, gives me the best quality and speed under the low light conditions.
    The blur effect is due to the long shutter speed of the camera. Speed up the shutter speed, and you will get good stil photos
     
  12. DewaldC

    DewaldC Magikarp

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2012
    Messages:
    1,867
    Likes Received:
    28
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Practice makes Perfect :party:.
     
  13. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    I've recently got a proper flash (Nikon Sb700) and a Gary Fong light sphere (google it) It makes the world of difference to flash photography. Still learning to use it properly, though.
    @Trevor Pleco As a pro, what's your take on globe diffusers?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  14. OP
    Gnl Jakes

    Gnl Jakes

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    Messages:
    103
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Johannesburg area
    Well, I am glad there are some serious photographers that fuses the two hobbies together.
     
  15. Trevor Pleco

    Trevor Pleco

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    Messages:
    470
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Klein Constantia, Cape
    Jenn, when you say globe diffuser, can I take it that's the same as a Chinese lantern.. ? Have not used them for ages, but did a few times, I recall it can be only used in close range of the subject, it bounces light in all directions, so is useful with filling in shadows. Were you thinking of using it for your tank shots ?
     
  16. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    Yes I was. I find it's also great for diffusing those very harsh shadows you get with a flash.
     
  17. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @Trevor Pleco - Slightly off topic but what type of ancistrus/pleco is that in your video. The one with all the feathery fins. It's a really nice fish and tank :bigsmile:
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  18. Trevor Pleco

    Trevor Pleco

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    Messages:
    470
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Klein Constantia, Cape
    Ok, so are you lighting/flashing through the side or top of the tank ?
     
  19. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    That's quite a funny story :D The day I got my flash (b'day present) I nearly dropped it in the fish tank because I was trying to flash from above. I've been too scared to try it again. :amazed:
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Aquaruim photograph Forum Date
Wanted: Aquaruim plants/decoration/fish Wanted/Swop/Freebies Feb 13, 2022
Some of my general photography General Images Dec 2, 2016
Photographing fish Photography Dec 10, 2015
Aquarium Photography Questions for FAQ and Article Photography Dec 4, 2015
Beautiful pics I found on internet - really stunning photography General Discussions Jun 16, 2014
wildlife photography Photography Apr 16, 2014
Unreal Photography Photography Aug 17, 2012

Share This Page