Aquaponics?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by KennyG, Aug 25, 2012.

  1. KennyG

    KennyG

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2012
    Messages:
    762
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Centurion
    hello all :) i was just wondering if there was anyone in the forum who practices aquaponics ? :)
     
  2. Guest




  3. KillerBunny

    KillerBunny

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2012
    Messages:
    182
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Krugersdorp
    I'm trying :) I have a little pond with 8 goldfish and 2 koi which I'm filtering through a big pot full of gravel. I tried planting veggies in there in March but they died. Having said that though, I've got some new lettuce, spinach and something else coming up in the pot again (From seed), so now that it is getting warmer, it seems to be sorting itself out.
     
  4. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    Soon. I am planning a greenhouse build at the moment, which will incorporate the ideas of both aquaponics and hydroponics. (Not for giggle twig, for veggies)

    It's actually a very simple and extremely effective way of growing food, in the form of vegetables as well as fish. A lot of people use Tilapia or Pangassius for their aquaponics, and actually eat the fish too. So it's definitely a good cost effective way of growing veg and fish for consumption.
     
  5. Barry.M

    Barry.M

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    539
    Likes Received:
    32
    Location:
    Kilner Park, Pretoria
    Been planning this for a while now and have most of the hardware done! My build will probably start at the end of next month. There's actually an amazing amount of DIY Aquaponic stuff on the net, however, you need to sift the info a bit as there is also a klomp rubbish too! I will be doing a small setup as it's only for the wife and I. I also have to do mine above ground, (or rather above Husky and Labrador puppy hight!) Here's a very rough idea of where I will be going:
    20100328aquaponics.jpg

    20100328aquaponics.jpg
     
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  6. OP
    KennyG

    KennyG

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2012
    Messages:
    762
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Centurion
    must say like sean j said the greenhouse certainly gives the setup a better advantage
     
  7. Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. OP
    KennyG

    KennyG

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2012
    Messages:
    762
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Centurion
    aside from koi and goldfish and tilapia ( blacklisted i think) has anyone tried any other fish in a system?
     
  9. Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I am going to use the pool that I am setting up at the moment for the aquaponicsWith the red tail pangasiuses and clown knife's
     
  10. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    I know you can do it with koi as well. Lots of folks do.
     
  11. OP
    KennyG

    KennyG

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2012
    Messages:
    762
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Centurion
    @Willem that sounds very interesting :D please leat us know how it turns out :)
     
  12. Robert32

    Robert32

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2012
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    i did once, a nice system for my workers in my old farm, i had a huge tank with tilapias, and at the beginning they used to be tasty... and it was overseas, a place that doest have a blacklist
     
  13. OP
    KennyG

    KennyG

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2012
    Messages:
    762
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Centurion
    one thing i try with my fish since i feed them a lot of vegetable matter is i grow barely for them because it takes only 6 days to gorw and once cut grows back very quick
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Aquaponics Forum Date
Wanted: Fish for outside aquaponics Wanted/Swop/Freebies Aug 5, 2020
Useful Aquaponics Info General Discussions Nov 7, 2017
Aquaponics build - please guys tell me what I missed Anything DIY related Sep 16, 2017
Aquaponics Filtration Aug 6, 2017
Aquaponics guys, please read? Advanced Topics Apr 22, 2016
Aquaponics worked atlast General Off-Topic chat Mar 12, 2016
Aquaponics pond Anything DIY related Mar 1, 2016

Share This Page