Apistos has Spawned - Help!

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dinky, Aug 29, 2013.

  1. Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I am totally over the moon! My apistos has spawned! The Cacatuoides Orange Flash!!!!

    What do I do now?
     
  2. Guest




  3. OP
    Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    After only two weeks of having them!

    They are in a community tank with some neons, endlers and cory.
     
  4. Kribs

    Kribs The betta connection

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2009
    Messages:
    239
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Karp Town
    Gratz... let the research begin....
     
  5. smoothoperatorlyn

    smoothoperatorlyn

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2012
    Messages:
    119
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Kzn, Durban
    Congrats! That was quick! They certainly not wasting time and signs they are happy in their new home! :top:
     
  6. ROEKSTE

    ROEKSTE

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    Messages:
    840
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Well done!!! if it is a new pair .... they will eat the eggs\fry at least 3 or 4 times before the real parental instinct step in. MOST ... not all, cichlids start out that way.
     
  7. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Congratulations. It is always nice to be rewarded when some thing like this happens. All your hard work and enthusiasm has really paid off.
     
  8. OP
    Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Thank you everyone!

    @ROEKSTE

    There goes my bubble! But I'm still as excited as can be! Can't believe they spawned so soon!

    Had it not been that I lifted the piece of wood to take out an algae wafer that got stuck underneath I would've been none the wiser.

    @smoothoperatonlyn

    I can't believe it! I'm so happy! Really hope that one or two survive! I've stuffed java moss all around the corner where she laid her eggs and as grace would have it, I picked up microworm cultures this morning for the badis, so I'll have food for them. Also started an infusoria culture last night!

    What do I do with the other fish in the tank? Do I feed them to the neighbour's cat?

    @Kribs - this took me completely by surprise! I've last crammed 20 years ago! Guess I will have to dust off my learning skills pretty quickly!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  9. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    I think leave the other fish in Forr now.
     
  10. ROEKSTE

    ROEKSTE

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    Messages:
    840
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @Dinky Its always nice to have egg's in the tank. Like I said.... you do get the odd couple that just are the best parents from the word go ... as for the other fish in the tank. Leave them in to be dater fish. This will help with the aggression between the parents so that they don't take it out on the fry.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. OP
    Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @ROEKSTE

    Thank you very much. It really helps a lot. She's very protective and I'm going to hope for the best. I'm just happy that she is happy enough to start breeding already.

    I don't have bbs to feed them if the fry do survive, but picked up a starter culture of worms this morning and started a culture of infusoria yesterday. Will that be sufficient for them or do I need to get a bs hatchery going or go get some other foods?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. ROEKSTE

    ROEKSTE

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    Messages:
    840
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I have breed them a few times and have used liquid fry food. Also used a very fine powder food from Tetra. LONG AGO ....
     
  13. Ray Port Elizabeth

    Ray Port Elizabeth

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2013
    Messages:
    371
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    not sure if you noticed it on yours but from what I have read about apisto's the female will colour up (I think yellow) when it's time to get sum, it's usually a good indication that there are fry. as I say that's just what I have read if it's true IDK ;) but congrats.
     
  14. OP
    Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @Ray Port Elizabeth

    From what I've read I also understood that they change colour but she did not change one bit. When I picked up the wood she was underneath and bright red eggs attached to the wood.

    Thanks @ROEKSTE will phone my lfs to see what they've got in stock.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  15. Ray Port Elizabeth

    Ray Port Elizabeth

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2013
    Messages:
    371
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    shows you, can't believe every thing we read lol :D
     
  16. OP
    Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Alas, no eggs today and no fry.

    Better luck next time.

    @Ray Port Elizabeth - Today, with the eggs gone, she's got a yellow tint to her! - I've sure got a LOT to learn!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  17. Ray Port Elizabeth

    Ray Port Elizabeth

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2013
    Messages:
    371
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    my goodness, you think they put the colours on after spawning? perhaps she is still figuring out the birds and the bees and perhaps she never got the male to fertilize the eggs due to her delayed body language? who knows hay hahaha :D
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Apistos Spawned Help Forum Date
Wanted: Juvenile Ramirezi or Apistos in Cpt Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 7, 2024
Wanted: Rams and Apistos Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 28, 2023
New baby Apistos General Discussions May 26, 2021
Wanted: Kribs kr apistos Wanted/Swop/Freebies Aug 22, 2018
Looking to buy killifish or apistos General Discussions May 17, 2018
Looking for info on Apistos Breeding Sep 7, 2017
Wanted: Kribensis or Apistos Wanted/Swop/Freebies Feb 12, 2017

Share This Page