Apisto Sunburst Spawn!!!!!

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by TankMaster, Nov 8, 2010.

  1. fishcrazy

    fishcrazy

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Messages:
    522
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Durban
    Clean with a sponge or drop in some ancistrus........btw a strain is one that can be bred consistantly and true to the original,so if you continue to breed the same form and colour continully THEN I would presume that you have created your own strain...
     
  2. Guest




  3. OP
    TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    I cant put Ancistrus is a breeding tank . . . I've already had problems with eggs getting eaten . . .
     
  4. Dirk

    Dirk Dwarf Catfish

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2009
    Messages:
    2,514
    Likes Received:
    81
    Location:
    Somerset West
    Hi TM,

    I have had a busy week in which I could not reply, but I would like to comment.

    I would never have my tanks as bright as you have for breeding dwarfs, and I would never use those white PVC pipes. I use terracotta pots, and tanks with a fine filter sand substrate and mosses for protection. I would not be surprised why this is the reason why they are eating their young. In nature, dwarf cichlids live in streams with a dark leaf litter bottom substrate and poor light as the streams are in the forest.

    I also think that these fishes, and I am referring specifically to the sunburst and triple red A cacautoides, appear to have been manipulated beyond the point where they can raise their young naturally, if they are eating their young. This should not happen in dwarf cichlids, but maybe this is just because the tanks are not correctly set up.

    Re your algae, if you had reduced light and if your aquaria were really acidic you would never have this algae.

    I think that you should consider some changes to your aquaria so that they can raise the fry naturally. Sorry to sound pessimistic, but these are just simply some comparative comments.

    Kind regards,

    Dirk
     
  5. OP
    TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Hey Professor

    I made sure the ph was <6.5 and it is between 6 and 6.5. The moss-ish algae came from the java moss in the tank.

    Again, these tanks are blacked out on all sides except for the front. I only removed the canopy to take pics that's why the light seems so bright AND ISO1600 . . .

    I hear what you are saying. These fish are messed up in a way but they are really awesome to watch socialize with each other.

    As soon as the fry are big enough they are going to be removed . . but I was advised to remove the parents rather than the fry.

    I will keep you guys updated

    TM
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Apisto Sunburst Spawn Forum Date
Wanted: Apistogramma trifiata Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 13, 2025
Wanted: Apistogramma Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 15, 2025
Wanted: Juvenile Ramirezi or Apistos in Cpt Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 7, 2024
Wanted: Rams and Apistos Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 28, 2023
Need help identifying "Pimple" on Apisto Diseases May 2, 2023
Freebie: FREE Apistogramma borellii M&F & Community tank fish Wanted/Swop/Freebies Nov 3, 2022
Wanted: Apistogramma panduro male Wanted/Swop/Freebies May 31, 2022

Share This Page