Apisto Sunburst Spawn!!!!!

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by TankMaster, Nov 8, 2010.

  1. OP
    TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    SPAWN 2 - DAY 3

    So It's been 2 days and I just found 12 wrigglers!!!! Alive and being taken care of my mom . .

    Time to hatch some BS . .

    TM
     
  2. Guest




  3. PeterWest

    PeterWest

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2010
    Messages:
    255
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Northern Suburbs, Cape Town
    Congrats TM, I REALLY WANT PICS
     
  4. OP
    TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Spawn 2 - Day 4

    Babies are doing well. There are 13 wrigglers in the tank .

    PW . . .I will try bro . . the water is green ATM because of the outdoor light . and there's some algae .. but I will see what pics I can get . .good or bad . . ..

    TM
     
  5. OP
    TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Spawn 2 - Day 5

    The babies are growing really fast. They should be ready for BBS in 48hrs. Hatching starts today . .

    I'm not sure if I should lower the water level or not . . . .Advice?

    Oh and here's the best pic I could get . . .

    DSC05846.jpg

    Hope you can see the little buggers . . anyone have a count on the fry? Not sure if its 12 or 14 . .

    TM

    DSC05846.jpg
     
  6. PeterWest

    PeterWest

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2010
    Messages:
    255
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Northern Suburbs, Cape Town
    Looking Good, I count 14
     
  7. Dirk

    Dirk Dwarf Catfish

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2009
    Messages:
    2,514
    Likes Received:
    81
    Location:
    Somerset West
    Don't change the water level, don't change anything, if you do the mother is likely to eat the fry so be very careful.

    Once the mother is swimming around with the fry you can start feeding her and the fry freshly hatched bs. Start culturing them now. I have a spawn of A aggasizzi that have just gone free swimming and I have started feeding bs......

    Kind regards,

    Dirk
     
  8. OP
    TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    SPAWN 2 - DAY 6

    The fry have grown so much but they are still wrigglers :(. They grow so fast on their yolk sack so BS should boost their growth even further.

    Now that they are more visible, I count 15 fry but lets see if I can grow them to about 2cm first, then I will count . . .

    I'm really excited about the hatch . . .I wonder when they will swim freely . . :)

    TM
     
  9. OP
    TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Oh . .and the parents have grown 2X the size since I got them . . .the males fins look like flames . . .I will try and get some pics later . .

    TM
     
  10. Linga

    Linga Aquarist or Gardener ?

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2009
    Messages:
    624
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    PTA
    congrats man, awesome stuff
     
  11. OP
    TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Spawn 2 - Day 7

    Fry are now out of the cave and "hopping" around the tank. Mom is still watching over them. I lost count of how many fry are left (8-10) but hope at least 2 survive. Just put i some BBS in the tank with some eggs to hatch out over night.

    Regards

    TM
     
  12. OP
    TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Hey

    Just need some advice . . .

    Will it be possible for me to breed apistos in 1,5ft tanks? I am running out of space and my xray tetras are ready to breed again . .

    Should I breed the tetras in a 3ft and put an apisto pair in a 1,5ft or the opposite?

    TM
     
  13. Dirk

    Dirk Dwarf Catfish

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2009
    Messages:
    2,514
    Likes Received:
    81
    Location:
    Somerset West
    Hi TM,

    What's all this foot stuff, have you gone American or something.....

    So, in my metric terms, if you will forgive my sarcasm, I would recommend that you use the 45 cm tank for your tetras and your 90 cm tank for your Apistos. Why, tetras can be managed much more easily in a 45 cm tank, I mean water changes and cleanliness which is essential for breeding them, and Apistos need more space. What you may also find is that once the fry of the Apistos have reached a certain size the mother will spawn again and then the fry can scatter into the rest of the tank. I actually have found that I can keep more than one generation of fry with my Apistogramma aggasizzi in the same tank.

    Kind regards,

    Dirk
     
  14. OP
    TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Spawn 2 - Day 9

    The babies are doing really well . . .

    I have a count of 6 . . . really more than I was expecting :)

    I hope the pair has bigger spawns soon :)

    TM
     
  15. OP
    TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Just an update . ..

    The babies are getting bigger . . they are about 8mm now . . .

    I left a bowl of unhatched Brine shrimp eggs in a bowl with some raw rice . .and now the brine shrimp have hatched and grown 3 X the size of newly hatched ones. . useless feed but my first attempt at growing them . .. .I am the first person to use raw rice as a food source too . .lol
     
  16. OP
    TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Fry from spawn 2 have vanished but to my surprise . . 80+ eggs in a PVC pipe :) . . .]]

    Spawn 3 day 1

    Eggs look good. The female should eat all the infertile eggs by tomorrow :)

    TM
     
  17. OP
    TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    apistoorangeflash2.jpg

    The male responsible for the spontaneous breeding . . .:) (Shot @ high ISO :()

    Spawn 3 day 2

    The eggs are being taken care off again. Sad to see the fry from the previous spawn being eaten. I plan to move the fry once they hit 5mm . . . this will prevent any of them being eaten.

    TM

    apistoorangeflash2.jpg
     
  18. OP
    TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    SPAWN 3 - day 3

    I thought the female ate all the eggs when I saw the PVC pipe empty. It turns out that she moved them into another pipe . . .talk about choosy :D

    I am planning to sell this pair of apistos . .any offers? Please PM

    TM
     
  19. OP
    TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    The pair that I sold to Linga just spawned today . . . . I was not planning on even spawning them . . . gosh . . .

    When the pair is sold I plan to siphon the wrigglers and put them with the other pair because she is also with wrigglers . . .

    Really excited but really about the spawn but more excited that Pair 2 has a new home :) . .now I have space for a grow out :)
     
  20. OP
    TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    I've lost track of spawns now . . .

    Here's some pics

    FEMALE FROM PAIR 1 WITH WRIGGLERS

    162707_1670655253720_1457541610_1669757_569379_n.jpg

    FEMALE FROM PAIR 2 WITH EGGS

    163084_1670655453725_1457541610_1669758_6662130_n.jpg

    MALE FROM PAIR 2 LOOKING MEAN AND BEAUTIFUL (My custom strain Pearl Blue Guppy)

    151062_1670655773733_1457541610_1669759_4533204_n.jpg

    162707_1670655253720_1457541610_1669757_569379_n.jpg

    163084_1670655453725_1457541610_1669758_6662130_n.jpg

    151062_1670655773733_1457541610_1669759_4533204_n.jpg
     
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  21. OP
    TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Any ideas how to rid my tanks of that "candy floss" algae . .
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Apisto Sunburst Spawn Forum Date
Wanted: Apistogramma trifiata Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 13, 2025
Wanted: Apistogramma Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 15, 2025
Wanted: Juvenile Ramirezi or Apistos in Cpt Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 7, 2024
Wanted: Rams and Apistos Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 28, 2023
Need help identifying "Pimple" on Apisto Diseases May 2, 2023
Freebie: FREE Apistogramma borellii M&F & Community tank fish Wanted/Swop/Freebies Nov 3, 2022
Wanted: Apistogramma panduro male Wanted/Swop/Freebies May 31, 2022

Share This Page