Angels getting ready... ??

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by ACE007, Apr 1, 2010.

  1. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Guess you not cleaning the glass for a while...
     
  2. Guest




  3. veegal

    veegal

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2009
    Messages:
    2,215
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Cape Town
    That's my babies - fertile things aren't they :D Congrats!
     
  4. OP
    ACE007

    ACE007 VA-TI-KA-KI

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2009
    Messages:
    872
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    /\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\ Goodwood
    Yes looks like it... Well we'll see how long it lasts. That exact spot is where I "used" to feed my fish. So ALL the fish bunch up in that corner if I get close to the tank, thinking it's feeding time. I'm leaving them for another month or so in the community tank and then they getting their own 60cm... :p

    And as beautiful as can be. DO they get that also from you :blink1:
    This time round it's even be a bit more than round one.
    I'm actually amazed at the amount of eggs that comes from that little female.
    You can't even see that she is carrying and the next moment there is eggs.

    Will they from now on only breed with each other or will they select other partners to spawn?
    Say I like a certain male & female and want the 2 to pair up...

    No news yet on the solid BLACK angels yet?? PM me as soon as you have some :cool:
     
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  5. slayer

    slayer

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2009
    Messages:
    865
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Gauteng, Edenvale
    congrads ace hope you get some fry...
    my angels also spawned yesterday so I'm also hopeing for success...
     
  6. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Hey Ace,

    I was reading through my new Encyclopedia of fish that I got from Dolphin last night, and the book was saying that, particulary in Cichlid family, the pair will form themselves, and sometimes "forcing" them to be a pair could result in the male dominating the female to the point of damaging her.
    The book also said that in other species they not too phased about each other... like the Tetra family... where more than one male can actually fertilise the eggs.

    Vee... your experience? Do you leave a pair as a pair, or could you split them and repair them with other mates?
     
  7. veegal

    veegal

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2009
    Messages:
    2,215
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Cape Town
    If you keep them together they will generally keep on spawning with each other. If something happens to one of them then they may find another partner. You can 'force' pair - i.e. take a male and a female which you like and put them together - but there could be problems with that. I say COULD because sometimes it'll go smooth sailing and other times they will fight but will most likely still spawn together. The fights can get really nasty and could cause some major damage. I personally never force pair because of the potential nastiness and damage, although in breeding centers they almost always force pair and remove the eggs soon after laying so that the pair can spawn again quicker. I would suggest that you let them chose their own partners unless you are looking for a particular offspring. It just isn't worth the potential damage caused and even possible death.

    The blacks have laid eggs a few times but have yet to not eat their eggs. As you know, I believe in the angels raising their own offspring so I don't remove the eggs to artificially hatch them. I'll let you know as soon as they get it right though :blink1:
     
  8. OP
    ACE007

    ACE007 VA-TI-KA-KI

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2009
    Messages:
    872
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    /\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\ Goodwood
    Ok thanks Zoom and Vee. So I'll leave them with each other seeing that they "happy" that way :blink1:
     
  9. OP
    ACE007

    ACE007 VA-TI-KA-KI

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2009
    Messages:
    872
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    /\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\ Goodwood
    I took a really good look at the eggs this morning.
    With it sitting on the white window cleaner,
    you can see the eyes of the fry inside the eggs.
    It was just awesome to see.
     
  10. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Wait until they become a mass of wriggling blobs. Hehe. Mine have all become wrigglers again, and the parents have moved 100+ eggs to one spot in the tank that coveres a R5 area. The entire mass is just pulsating with the wriggles going wild. hehe
     
  11. Linxie

    Linxie

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,821
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa
  12. Gert Combrink

    Gert Combrink

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2008
    Messages:
    1,786
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Protea Hights, Brackenfell, Cape Town.
    Congrats Ace and Zoom!
    Hope you have started the brine shrimps already!
    Vee gave you sound advice. It is possible to force-pair angels, if you select specific genes, and want the selected pair to breed, just place them in a breeding tank.
    Yes, they could fight, just let them sort it out! Fish are like humans - If you put a male and female, long enough in isolation, they will get bored and breed! LOL.
    A lot of hybrids get bred by force-pairing.
    Good luck with the wrigglers and fry!
    Gert.
     
  13. OP
    ACE007

    ACE007 VA-TI-KA-KI

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2009
    Messages:
    872
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    /\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\ Goodwood
    Thx Gert

    They are in the community tank still so don't expect anything...

    I want them to lay eggs 2 more times in the tank and then they'll get their own tank :blink1:

    Now I just want to get my magnetic glass cleaner back :blink1:
     
  14. OP
    ACE007

    ACE007 VA-TI-KA-KI

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2009
    Messages:
    872
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    /\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\ Goodwood
    Got home tonight and I got wrigglers WHOOHOOOO :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

    I sat in front of the tank for about 30min just watching them.
    Catching the wrigglers and spitting them back into the group.
    Then I had something to eat and EVERYTHING was gone!! :eek::eek:

    Then I had a look around the tank... Remembering Zoom's thread about his angels...

    They moved the wrigglers down to the bracing in the corner of the tank.
    But we'll see how long they survive :p The gourami's is having nice snacks.
     
  15. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    If they getting to the wrigglers stage, then the parents are a little more intellegent than mine. I went through about 8 or 9 spawns before I got to wrigglers.
     
  16. OP
    ACE007

    ACE007 VA-TI-KA-KI

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2009
    Messages:
    872
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    /\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\ Goodwood
    I think it's Vee's Angel gene's running through their veins...
     
  17. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Vee's a good mommy... so she taught her babies well!
     
  18. OP
    ACE007

    ACE007 VA-TI-KA-KI

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2009
    Messages:
    872
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    /\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\ Goodwood
    I'm holding thumbs for you getting to wriggler stage...
    It is awesome to sit and watch them pick up and spit them back into the group.
    I'm very tempted to catch them out and get them into their own tank.

    BUT I'll wait :mad:
     
  19. veegal

    veegal

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2009
    Messages:
    2,215
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Ahhh I'm such a proud Mommy - my children are getting it right :D

    Ace the chances are that those wrigglers will get eaten in the community tank BUT at least you know that the parents are getting it right so once they are moved you shouldn't have too much hassles getting babies! Let them have another spawn in the community tank and go through the motions again before you move them into their own tank though. When I first started breeding angels I moved a pair after their first spawn and they took forever to spawn in their own tank, another pair which I moved at the same time point blank refused to spawn in their own tank again. I moved them back into the community tank, let them spawn twice more before moving them, and hey presto they were on a roll!
     
  20. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Mine use to spawn like clockwork every 8 days. WHen I moved them... it was 3 weeks before they spawned. I think they were feeling very "exposed" in the new tank, and took a while to settle down.
     
  21. OP
    ACE007

    ACE007 VA-TI-KA-KI

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2009
    Messages:
    872
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    /\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\ Goodwood
    Ha ha ha these angels is like clockwork. The second pair was chasing everyone from the back corner in the community tank. Looking closer they have eggs again :p Will see if they can get the eggs to wrigglers...

    So now it's 2 rounds for both pairs :blink1:
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Angels getting ready Forum Date
HELP My Angels is getting funny spots Diseases Nov 25, 2011
Wanted: Koi Angels Large Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 17, 2025
Wanted: Red Devil Angels Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 7, 2024
Manacapuri angels General Discussions Feb 4, 2024
Wanted: Freebie: 2 large Angels Wanted/Swop/Freebies May 1, 2023
Hi I have a 4ft tank with angels and discus for R2500 if anyone is interested JHB Aquarists Nov 16, 2022
Wanted: Angels Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 10, 2022

Share This Page