Angelfish behaviour

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by col182, Sep 3, 2016.

  1. col182

    col182

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2012
    Messages:
    204
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Boksburg
    Hi guys and gals , recently I bought 4 platinum angels for my 4ft , now the last time I bought angels was in high school many years ago and prob didn't pay as much attention to them as I do now , they about 6-7cm top to bottom and they have some seriously interesting behaviour, I seem to have a single dominant fish which is the boss and will every now and then chase the others around , 2 of the other fish seem to display a submissive before mostly by lowering their heads down as the dominant one approaches them , the other one doesn't submit to this dominant fish though and will generally turn and face it , the 2 fish then generally nip at each others mouth and I have also seen them sort of a shake with their bodies in front of each other, the strange thing is the one that will generally face off with the dominant fish doesn't chase the other two like the dominant one does, this is completely new to me and I must admit I am enjoying the heck out of watching this social behaviour it is absolutely fascinating , so anyway do you guys have any idea as to what all this displaying means and if it is true that in a social group there will be a single dominant fish?
     
  2. Guest




  3. howard

    howard

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2016
    Messages:
    691
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Benoni
    Basic pairing, but, sound like you have more males than females. As they get more involved, they will grip each others by the mouth to test "strength".
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Angelfish behaviour Forum Date
Veiltail Angelfish for sale Beginner Discussions Jan 1, 2026
Angelfish Breeding Mar 26, 2025
Swop: Young Angelfish for shrimp or plants Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 10, 2024
Angelfish Id please ID Needed Jun 9, 2024
Breeding Angelfish in community tank General Discussions Jan 19, 2023
Need help with my angelfish General Fish Discussions Oct 15, 2022
Wanted: Adult female angelfish Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 9, 2022

Share This Page