Angel Fish

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by PeterWest, Jun 22, 2010.

  1. PeterWest

    PeterWest

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2010
    Messages:
    255
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Northern Suburbs, Cape Town
    Hi All

    |I have two angel fish ( amongst others ) which are in my 1.2 planted tank. I have a canister filter running at 1000l/ph so filtration is good. But since I rescaped my tank the one Silver Angel fish has not been showing his colour any more.

    Any comments on this ?

    Regards
    Peter
     
  2. Guest




  3. Big G

    Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Messages:
    2,508
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Probably just unsettled with the disturbance? Give him/her a few days and see if things improve?

    Cheers
    G!
     
  4. OP
    PeterWest

    PeterWest

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2010
    Messages:
    255
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Northern Suburbs, Cape Town
    Hi G

    It's been probably a 2 weeks since the rescape. That is why i waited to see if things would improve before asking here.

    Regards
    Peter
     
  5. Big G

    Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Messages:
    2,508
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hmmm, could it be that the other Angel has dominated? Have you noticed any other strange behaviour? Hiding away? Staying in one corner all teh time??

    Cheers
    G!
     
  6. OP
    PeterWest

    PeterWest

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2010
    Messages:
    255
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Northern Suburbs, Cape Town
    Hi G

    Yes as a matter of fact they he has been hiding away, but it seems that he is the dominant one

    Regards
    Peter
     
  7. Fishwhisperer

    Fishwhisperer

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2010
    Messages:
    211
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Kraaifontein/ Brackenfell
    Weird. But have also found that some of my fish loose coulor and are less active in one tank compared to the next if i move them.
    Mostly fish like to have their little spot and if theres no ware to claim for themselves they get depro.

    Like one tank i took out everything execpt for the plants substrate heater and filter. Because i was so busy coulnd get around to adding stuff again for almost 2 weaks.
    No sosial behavior, low couloring, very inactive and even poor eating at feeding times???

    Guess they just unhappy right?
     
  8. Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi Big G, Is this a common thing to occur? I have an angel that was added after the first one and it acts like that, hiding in corners and the other one which I assume to be the dominant one, likes to intimidate the new comer by nipping him... is there anything I can do? are they known to have the ability to do great damage to each other?

    Sorry to interrupt here - @ Big G, Is this a common thing to occur? I have an angel that was added after the first one and it acts like that, hiding in corners and the other one which I assume to be the dominant one, likes to intimidate the new comer by nipping him... is there anything I can do? are they known to have the ability to do great damage to each other?
     
  9. Stormer

    Stormer

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Messages:
    310
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I'm guessing he lost his territory when you did a rescape.

    Aqua @ The other angel could die because of stress or if it's fins have been nipped to a point where it can't swim anymore.
     
  10. Big G

    Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Messages:
    2,508
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Cape Town
    HI Aqua...

    What Stormer says is true... The new Angel could die if the harrasment is extreme enough?

    What I would suggest is to rescape the tank. What this does is break the original territory of the first angel, and then both will have to establish it inthe new scape.

    What size tank are they in? Ideally you should have a group of Angels to spread aggresion, but if the tank is too small then there will be problems! A group of six in a 1.2m tank is a good starting point, but should all be introduced at the same time to avoid any establishing a territory before the others!!

    Also, having a tank with lots of plants and wood in it is also a good idea. If the Angels can always see each other, then fights will break out, but if theres lots of visual barriers, it allows the bullied ones to have some time out should they need it!

    Hope that helps?
    Regards
    G!
     
  11. Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Thanks so much, I will have to read up about 'rescaping' the tank, first time I hear of it, since I am new to this, I have been through a whole story, if you read the post 'my first aquarium' in new members... I have been sold a 30lt tank and a whole bunch of fish... 2 of them angels... so now I will be purchasing a larger tank and then will keep the 30lt as a quarantine tank, that's going to be the best way I think... how big does the tank have to be for 2 angels, 2 bala's, 2 red tail sharks and 2 plecos's? and some smaller fish such as 8 x guppy's and 4 x neons? and then 2 rummy nose tetra's and 2 zebra loach's?
     
  12. Big G

    Big G Apisto Nutz!!!

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Messages:
    2,508
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Well the Balas will grow large, and ideally need a 1.5m minimum, and should be kept in a shoal of at least 6. Personally, I would sell them on? The Plecos too will grow huge!

    The Red tail blacks will fight with one another and bully most of the occupants. At least one should go?

    And again, all the other fish should ideally be kept in a group of 6 each minimum!

    A 1.2m would be a decent size for the Angels and smaller fish.

    Hope that helps?
    Regards
    G!
     
  13. Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Thanks G, so If I get 1.5 m tank, let one of the red tails blacks go, and make sure all the others are in schools of 6min, does this include the pleco's and the bala's?
     
  14. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    Not pleco's. They don't really care. Bala's-yes
    To answer this thread: If you changed your substrate to a lighter color the fish could lose his to blend in with it. Certain fish prefer darker substrate so that they cannot be seen from predators above them.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Angel Fish Forum Date
Veiltail Angelfish for sale Beginner Discussions Jan 1, 2026
Angelfish Breeding Mar 26, 2025
Swop: Young Angelfish for shrimp or plants Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 10, 2024
Angelfish Id please ID Needed Jun 9, 2024
Breeding Angelfish in community tank General Discussions Jan 19, 2023
Need help with my angelfish General Fish Discussions Oct 15, 2022
10 x Angel fish large 7cm+ R900 for all Pretoria Aquarium Fanatics May 15, 2022

Share This Page