Angel fish fin droop

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by CharlieB, Jan 12, 2012.

  1. CharlieB

    CharlieB

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2011
    Messages:
    217
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Salt Rock, KZN
    I noticed about a week ago that my one angel fish's dorsal fin is drooping backwards right at the top. I dont remember this fishing being like this when I first got it. It seems very healthy, active and eats alot as do all my fish. Any one have an idea of why this is or is it just maybe a deformity?

    Thank you.
     
  2. Guest




  3. Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    Dorsal fin at the top right? One of my previous Angel's had it too. This one was in a very small and shallow tank (sorry didn't know better) and I think this might have been the case? What size is your tank?

    I have heard that if an Angel is held in a too dense tank (like too much angels per liter) their fins won't form perfectly. Only my speculation on my experiences. More help from the expert, @Dirk Bellstedt maybe?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. OP
    CharlieB

    CharlieB

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2011
    Messages:
    217
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Salt Rock, KZN
    Its 91cm long and 38cm high. I have only 2 angels in it with a few corys, 2 ID sharks(yes I was ignorant and didnt know what I bought), a gourami , a black labeo and a plec. The plec and ID's are still small as is the black shark at this stage.
     
  5. Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    Well that's the same is my tank and I have two with perfect fins. Sorry I'm all out.
     
  6. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    Charlie, could you get a picture of it? It would definitely help us.
     
  7. OP
    CharlieB

    CharlieB

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2011
    Messages:
    217
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Salt Rock, KZN
    Here is a pic.IMAG0101.jpg

    and of the whole tank to get a size perspective.

    IMAG0102.jpg

    IMAG0101.jpg

    IMAG0102.jpg
     
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  8. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    Doesn't look too bad to me. Some angels develop strange fins. The main thing to me, is that the fins are all extended out, and not clamped. Clamped fins are a sign of distress. That fish looks quite happy and healthy. If it has a healthy appetite, then don't worry too much about it.
     
  9. OP
    CharlieB

    CharlieB

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2011
    Messages:
    217
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Salt Rock, KZN
    @Sean J. Thanks alot. Ya he is very happy from what I can tell and eats plenty too.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  10. Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    That's exactly what mine had.
     
  11. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Pretty common genetic anomaly associated with Angels - comes from years and years of inbreeding....nothing to worry about at all.
     
  12. OP
    CharlieB

    CharlieB

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2011
    Messages:
    217
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Salt Rock, KZN
    Thanks all. At least I dont have to worry about it being something I may be doing wrong now.
     
  13. Dirk

    Dirk Dwarf Catfish

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2009
    Messages:
    2,514
    Likes Received:
    81
    Location:
    Somerset West
    Hi CharlieB,

    Azure is quite correct that this is genetic. It can be eliminated by careful selection of breeding stock to have perfect fins, but angel breeders in South Africa are all too often only interested in quantity and not quality, a great pity indeed. In my fishes, I insist on perfect fins, also with regard to fin and tails extensions. To illustrate what I mean I have posted pics below of an adult wild type male which perfect tail and ventral (bottom) fin extensions. That is what the fins of an angels SHOULD look like, in opinion.

    Kind regards,

    Dirk

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Angel fish droop Forum Date
Veiltail Angelfish for sale Beginner Discussions Jan 1, 2026
Angelfish Breeding Mar 26, 2025
Swop: Young Angelfish for shrimp or plants Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 10, 2024
Angelfish Id please ID Needed Jun 9, 2024
Breeding Angelfish in community tank General Discussions Jan 19, 2023
Need help with my angelfish General Fish Discussions Oct 15, 2022
10 x Angel fish large 7cm+ R900 for all Pretoria Aquarium Fanatics May 15, 2022

Share This Page