An Angle question

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rooivlerkie, Jun 27, 2013.

  1. Rooivlerkie

    Rooivlerkie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Westen Cape
    About a month ago I got some angles. They have been doing fine since but I`ve notice one becomming quite large about 15cm tall. Another one is only about 5 cm tall. I am afraid the bigger one will chase and nip the smaller one, or won`t he? They are in a 90cm tank with some rocks and drifwood and terra cotta pots. The other angles are between 8 and 10 cm long. Thanks!
     
  2. Guest




  3. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Hi.
    Firstly I must ask you how many Angel fish do you have in that tank? Angels are part of the Cichlidae (Cichlid’s) family. This means that they are territorial. Depending on the number you have they should develop a pecking order and settle down. I have herd of cases where bigger angels have killed smaller ones. I am know expert on this fish so for give me if I am incorrect here. Perhaps some of the more experienced fish keepers who have kept and bread this fish can share with you how to insure that they will be ok.
     
  4. OP
    Rooivlerkie

    Rooivlerkie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Westen Cape
    Hi
    I have five angles in that tank. I have not seen any ripped fins but rather safe than sorry
     
  5. DoubleDutch

    DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,276
    Likes Received:
    2,321
    Location:
    Hoorn (Holland / The Netherlands)
    If a couple is formed there we be war in your tank. 90 cm is to small for a group of Angels.
     
  6. OP
    Rooivlerkie

    Rooivlerkie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Westen Cape
    Do you think a 90cm tank is too small for a group of small Angles? How much bigger should the tank be more or less? Would it help if I add more ornaments
     
  7. DoubleDutch

    DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,276
    Likes Received:
    2,321
    Location:
    Hoorn (Holland / The Netherlands)
    I do !!! A group of Angels need a minimum tanksize of 1.20 x 50 x 50 better 1.50. When a couple is formed there is going to be a pot of stress. There territorium ill be 80 to 90% of the tank. The other fish will have 20 to 10% to live in. I've got one angel in a 90 cm. This is a saved one from an 45 cm tank. It's asocial, so I won't add other ones. [​IMG]
     
  8. OP
    Rooivlerkie

    Rooivlerkie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Westen Cape
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  9. Neels

    Neels

    Joined:
    May 21, 2012
    Messages:
    251
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Elspark, Germiston
    @Rooivlerkie I kept about 5 angels in a 1,2m tank a while back. They were fine until a pair formed. Like DoubleDutch mentioned they took most of the tank. I decided to remove one of the paired Angels to try and remove territoriality. It worked until another pair formed, which in turn took over the whole tank.

    So I would advise you to keep all 5 in the 90cm tank until a pair is formed, then you'll have to remove the rest of the angels. The 90cm should be big enough for the pair, as long as you keep stocking levels low.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  10. OP
    Rooivlerkie

    Rooivlerkie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Westen Cape
    ok, How does the angles breed? I`ve heard a pair froms then they lay eggs and gaurd the fry and defend them of other angle fish. But what do you do when the fry are freeswimming? WOn`t the parents eat them? Shoudl I remove the other angles at a point? regards
     
  11. DoubleDutch

    DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,276
    Likes Received:
    2,321
    Location:
    Hoorn (Holland / The Netherlands)
    In a 90 cm. Problems start already before that. The couple (male) will be territorial and will injure or even kill other Angels that come to close (that's in a 90 cm always the case). The couple will start to clean a place en spawn after that. They watch the eggs and fry (for some time)
     
  12. OP
    Rooivlerkie

    Rooivlerkie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Westen Cape
    Thanks @DoubleDutch
    The largest angle is about 15 cm tall. The other are more or less 8 cm tall. Do you think it will become a problem soon? How soon? In that chase I must find another tank. How big must the other tank be?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    It's hard to tell how long. A mated pair has not yet started the romance.
     
  14. DoubleDutch

    DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,276
    Likes Received:
    2,321
    Location:
    Hoorn (Holland / The Netherlands)
    Minimum 120 cm, better 150 cm
     
  15. OP
    Rooivlerkie

    Rooivlerkie

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Messages:
    1,206
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Westen Cape
    ThANKS. fOR what beHavior should I look for?
     
  16. DoubleDutch

    DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2013
    Messages:
    3,276
    Likes Received:
    2,321
    Location:
    Hoorn (Holland / The Netherlands)
    Two starting to swim together and others are chased !!!
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Angle question Forum Date
Freebie: Giving away Anglefish Wanted/Swop/Freebies Aug 17, 2025
Freebie: Angle's Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 30, 2022
Wanted: Moss in the Vaal triangle area. Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 16, 2019
Help needed with angle breeding problems New members Feb 25, 2018
12mm glass angle iron frame beast aquarium help wanted Anything DIY related Nov 26, 2014
FB: Tangled Manta Ray asks for diver's help - Ghost Fishing - Costa Rica http://yo.. Jungle Aquatics Sep 16, 2014
looking for Egg Crate in Vaal Triangle area Anything DIY related Jan 8, 2014

Share This Page