Algae

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Yster, Aug 11, 2011.

  1. Yster

    Yster

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    Messages:
    151
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Viljoenskroon
    How much light would be needed for a normal 60L tank? I currently have 2 14W osram deluxstar CFL's and a 15w biolux tube but I've noticed black hairlike algae growing on the plant leaves and driftwood. Any ideas what the problem might be? To much light maybe? Lights are on from 8am to around 8pm.
     
  2. Guest




  3. SalmonAfrica

    SalmonAfrica Batfish

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    471
    Location:
    Durban
    Other things that may cause algae are excessive nutrients in the tank - fish waste and leftover food contribute to this. The only real remedies to this are water changes and good filtration.

    I cannot say for sure if the light is the definite cause, but cutting down on the hours the light is on will certainly help, in part, to curb your algae problem.
     
  4. OP
    Yster

    Yster

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    Messages:
    151
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Viljoenskroon
    Filtration is a 260L/h internal powerfilter and 20% WC every weekend. There's no algae growth on the glass. the only fish in the tank is 4 corrys and 7 guppies. Fertilizers added once a month. But will try shorter light periods. Thanks.
     
  5. OP
    Yster

    Yster

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    Messages:
    151
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Viljoenskroon
    Any idea how to get rid of the algae thats on the plant leaves?
     
  6. Anine

    Anine

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2011
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I had a beautiful array of algae in my nano with a 12 hour photo period.
    Dropped it to 3 or 4 hours and started dosing with flourish excel and the tank is now completely algae free
     
  7. OP
    Yster

    Yster

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    Messages:
    151
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Viljoenskroon
    Total of 4 hours light per day? What plants do have in the nano?
     
  8. Anine

    Anine

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2011
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Pretoria
    actually both my tanks get about 4 hours of light. java fern, anubias, bacopa, some long leaved crypts.
    growth isnt fast, but the plants arent suffering and I have no algae
     
  9. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    For starters there is so many reasons why Algae grows, so I'd actually recommend you research which type of algae it is, and then find the causes that are relevant to your tank. There is quite a bit of resources available on the forum here with regards to Algae, so search these forums.

    Secondly, I'd tone the lighting down quite drastically. I'd even recommend removing one of the globes for now, and cutting the photoperiod down to 4-6 hours a day max. Excel is a brilliant product for algae control... again, research as to the reasons, and you may find it's related to CO2 imbalance. (Excel will help this). You may find it's a nutrient imbalance, and here I would recommend something like Seachem Equilibrium.

    Also check your feeding of fish. Feed ONCE A DAY, and sparingly. (I've feed my fish 6 times a week for over 2 years now, and I've had less problems in the past 2 years than I had in the year before that! Before that I was feeding twice daily.)

    Another trick to try... 10% waterchange every alternate day for a few weeks until you have some control.
     
  10. OP
    Yster

    Yster

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    Messages:
    151
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Viljoenskroon
    Thanks Ashley will try cutting down on the photo period, feeding only once daily and maybe removing one bulb. But will keep the thread updated!
     
  11. OP
    Yster

    Yster

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    Messages:
    151
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Viljoenskroon
    Thanks Ashley will try cutting down on the photo period, feeding only once daily and maybe removing one bulb. But will keep the thread updated!
     
  12. OP
    Yster

    Yster

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    Messages:
    151
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Viljoenskroon
    So if I have a total lighting period of 6hours per day is it best to have it in split in two, say 3hours 3hours or better to have them on for just 6hours?
     
  13. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Lot's of people split them. Mine are split and to be honest, I feel it's better algae control with it split.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Algae Forum Date
Halp! Brown algae and rotala pink losing color and turning green. Planted Tanks Mar 14, 2025
Redefining Aquascaping: The Magic of Algae Balls Jungle Aquatics May 18, 2023
Myth Busters - Algae Edition Algae May 25, 2022
DIY Twinstar Algae Inhibitor Advanced Topics Mar 13, 2022
Wanted: Siamese Algae Eater Wanted/Swop/Freebies Feb 19, 2022
Wanted: Looking for Siamese Algae Eater Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 14, 2021
Freebie: Golden/Siamese Algae Eater Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 3, 2021

Share This Page