Algae rid product

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Bazil, Oct 1, 2012.

  1. Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    Hi Everyone,

    I have a hair algae problem in the tank.:sick:

    I was looking for Crystal Algae Clear this weekend, but couldn't find it in my area. So the only other product I could find was Marltons Algae Cure.

    Anyone with experience with this product? The print on the bottle says "Safe for plants" and "Results seen in 7 days". I was thinking of ordering Crystal Algae Clear, seeing I couldn't find it.

    What other product can I look at?

    Cheers
    Bazil
     
  2. Guest




  3. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    If you can get crystal algae go then get it. It truely is amazing.
     
  4. OP
    Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    Hey Ashley, Do you know which company makes "Crystal Algae Go"? When I asked for Algae clear they looked at me with beaming eyes asif I asked for a million bucks. I have asked around about Crystal algae clear and the general feel was it's the best for algae.

    I will be patient in loosing the algae, but I want a product that works. Don't want to spend hundreds on products that don't work and also a product that is safe for plants.

    Thanks for the reply.
     
  5. Wyvren

    Wyvren Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2011
    Messages:
    2,549
    Likes Received:
    21
    The Microblift Algaway also works very well.
     
  6. OP
    Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    Thanks Angie. Our lfs here are a bit "agter die tyd". Sell you all the stuff that contributes to algae... But not so much the stuff that gets rid of it.
     
  7. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
    The Co that manufactures Crystal is Robalon. Is there a koi dealer anywhere nearby? It is intended for pond use primarily so they are more likely to stock it.
     
  8. OP
    Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg

    I am not too sure about Koi dealers in my area. But thanks for the company info. Will look around. Might just be lucky.
     
  9. Wyvren

    Wyvren Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2011
    Messages:
    2,549
    Likes Received:
    21
    Hehehe Bazil, it is frustrating I know. Just yell if you get stuck I can get a hold of both products and post it up to you if all else fails.
     
  10. pHish_man

    pHish_man Discus

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2011
    Messages:
    1,402
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Somerset West
    Im with @Wyvren on the Microbe-lift Algaway. It cleared up my hair algae problem in no time. Its highly concentrated and CHEAP.

    Regards

    Andrew
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. OP
    Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    Hey @pHish_man , How long did it take for you to rid of it? And did you cut the lighting periods? Up water changes? I have never had algae issues as I never had planted tanks. So this is new to me..
    I don't want to loose any plants in the War against the algae. But if I must I'll unleash chemical warfare. :heeeelllllooooo:

    I absolutely hate algae. :mad: I'll try the Crystal Algae first as I have arranged a get together with a fellow TASA member.

    Thanks for all the reply's. I'm sure everyone ges through this at some stage.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. pHish_man

    pHish_man Discus

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2011
    Messages:
    1,402
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Somerset West
    I changed nothing in my 1.5m planted tank and i saw a difference in about a week. Since treating I have pulled out 2 lots of vallis plants. The second lot i counted 180!!!

    In my Java moss tree nano tank, the hair algae had overgrown my java moss and my spawning mop. ( have threadfin rainbows spawning in this tank constantly ). This cleared up also in about a week and the java moss is 'bos'.

    Regards

    Andrew
     
  13. OP
    Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    Good to know. Hopefully I will also get rid of it in such short time. And my Moss is also "bos". The stuff grows like mad in my tank.
     
  14. pHish_man

    pHish_man Discus

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2011
    Messages:
    1,402
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Somerset West
    Shout if you dont come right. Wyveren or i can post some up to you
     
  15. OP
    Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    Thanks alot. Will keep you posted on the progress.
     
  16. Anine

    Anine

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2011
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Pretoria
    robalon product yes. I've been using it in my community tank.
    if you cant find any, then contact the sales team at robalon. they're extremely helpful and was very glad to assist me in finding the product.

    it's just a bit messy to use. it looks like a clay based product which doesnt dissolve very well. it has fairly large gritty particles which accumulates on the water surface. but it's very safe, no adverse effects on my fish, plants or cats :)
     
  17. OP
    Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    The product you have, Is it Algae Crystal Clear? Or Algae Crystal Go? I am a bit confused now. The Robalon product I saw was Crystal Clear. Is this correct?
     
  18. Anine

    Anine

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2011
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Pretoria
    crystal algae clear. clear plastic tub with blue screw top and blue-ish label. it's a grey powder
    algae go is something different and not made by robalon
     
  19. OP
    Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    Ok, thanks. This is the exact one I will be getting.
     
  20. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Let me know how this goes because I have decided I'm not going through this nonsense again!
     
  21. OP
    Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    Will keep you posted. You also struggling with Hair Algae?
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Algae product Forum Date
Halp! Brown algae and rotala pink losing color and turning green. Planted Tanks Mar 14, 2025
Redefining Aquascaping: The Magic of Algae Balls Jungle Aquatics May 18, 2023
Myth Busters - Algae Edition Algae May 25, 2022
DIY Twinstar Algae Inhibitor Advanced Topics Mar 13, 2022
Wanted: Siamese Algae Eater Wanted/Swop/Freebies Feb 19, 2022
Wanted: Looking for Siamese Algae Eater Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 14, 2021
Freebie: Golden/Siamese Algae Eater Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 3, 2021

Share This Page