Albino Cory Spawn take 2

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Vez, Jun 28, 2011.

  1. Vez

    Vez

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,076
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Krugersdorp Jhb
    I had a spawn on Saturday. This morning I woke up to find 11 little critters in the guppy breeder.

    Super cool!

    Vez
     
  2. Guest




  3. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    Congrats
     
  4. OP
    Vez

    Vez

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,076
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Krugersdorp Jhb
    Thanks dude!
     
  5. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    i see theres quite a few cory spawnings these days,i wonder is it the season or is it something you guys are doing?
     
  6. OP
    Vez

    Vez

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,076
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Krugersdorp Jhb
    a pic of the only two that made it (the rest slipped out of the holes in my guppy breeder)

    Cory fry.jpg

    Cory fry.jpg
     
  7. Donny

    Donny

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2009
    Messages:
    2,283
    Likes Received:
    22
    Location:
    Churchill Estate, Parow
    Congrats :)
     
  8. OP
    Vez

    Vez

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,076
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Krugersdorp Jhb
    +-80 - 100 new eggs in the breeder!!!!!!!
     
  9. Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Congrats :)
     
  10. Khalid

    Khalid Loricariidae

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Messages:
    1,515
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Lenasia
    wow that's a lot of eggs. Congratulations Vez
     
  11. OP
    Vez

    Vez

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,076
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Krugersdorp Jhb
    Thanks man

    i know, its my records!
     
  12. Rickus

    Rickus

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2010
    Messages:
    645
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Bethlehem

    Did you lay the eggs???
     
  13. OP
    Vez

    Vez

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,076
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Krugersdorp Jhb
    haha, i was waiting for this one..........you know what i mean! the last spawn was 22 eggs, its a Record,,,,well its the Cory's record,
     
  14. Rickus

    Rickus

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2010
    Messages:
    645
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Bethlehem
    LOL, grappie.

    Peace
     
  15. OP
    Vez

    Vez

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,076
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Krugersdorp Jhb
    haha, nah dis cool! will take a look tonight and see how many are fertile!
     
  16. Rickus

    Rickus

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2010
    Messages:
    645
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Bethlehem
    Hope you have good swimmers
     
  17. OP
    Vez

    Vez

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,076
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Krugersdorp Jhb
    Looks like 15 or so fertile eggs
     
  18. OP
    Vez

    Vez

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,076
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Krugersdorp Jhb
    14 or so new babies today!!!!!
     
  19. OP
    Vez

    Vez

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,076
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Krugersdorp Jhb
    Hey all

    I would like to find out, why so little of the eggs turned out to be Fertile? As she laid 85 eggs, and only 15 Fertile? Can she be to old?

    Any help on this will be much appreciated

    Thanks

    Vez
     
  20. OP
    Vez

    Vez

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,076
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Krugersdorp Jhb
    Ok so I have decided to do a small write up on how my Cory’s breed:

    Tank:

    Standard 3ft tank, full of plants.

    Substrate:

    Got it with the tank, called “Pea” Gravel.

    Temperature:

    I have my tank on 26C during the day, and during night it falls to 25C-25.5C.

    To start off, I have three Albino Cory’s in my tank, Two females and one male. I feed my Cory’s Nutrifin (spelling) for bottom feeders, I feed them this twice a day. Once a week they get some Bloodworms as a booster.
    I do my Water Changes on a Sunday or a Monday, and this is 30%-40% and a small one in the middle of the week 10%-20%.
    I have never forced the Cory’s to spawn. They usually spawn over the weekend, except for the last one, that was on a Thursday. My lights are on a timer. Starting @ 06:00-12:00 the off until 15:00 and then on until 18:00. For some reason they always spawn as the lights come on, and this gives me enough time to collect the eggs, no matter what day of the week it is! They almost never spawn on the glass of my tank, they love the Giant Hygro and the HOB filter for some reason! Once I have collected all the eggs that I could see, I place them in a clean Guppy breeder, and add an air stone. I do a 50-70% WC in the morning and again in the evening just before lights out. By the second day you will notice that the fertilized eggs have developed a small blackish dot in the middle. I monitor the rest of the eggs for any late “bloomers” as well as to remove any of the eggs that start to grow fungus! 5 hours before they hatch I start to notice them move in the eggs, and then I know the time is near. Once they hatch, don’t move the breeder, as they will be sucked out. i then take a large straw or a filter pipe, and suck them up one by one, and place them in a container. 2-3 days after hatching you will notice that the Yolk sacks have been used up, and it’s time to feed them. I have tried the whole BBS, but that’s a bit pricey, so I have found the following that also works well, buy a bag of Brine Shrimps, and chop them up and give them to the Fry. All of them chow this like mad.

    I do this twice a day, and still cleaning the containers twice a day. By day 3-4 after they have hatched, I start to feed them some of the Prof’s food, as it contains some shrimps. At first it does not look they eat it, just leave it for a while. I then mix the two up, giving the shrimps in the morning and the Granules at night. In week two, they are a lot bigger, and they are only eating the granules, it’s at this point when I start to feed them some of the Nutrifin Pellets, all I do is add one to the container, and once its soft, I break it up for them.

    Cleaning the containers:

    During the whole process, I will remove the Fry and place them in a small holding container, and clean the original one ( I do this in the tank, just use a small piece of sponge and clean it) and place the Fry back in the container. I do this every day. This is my holding container:
    SDC12982.JPG
    This is what works for me, i cannot confirm that this will work for the rest. I will be feeding my new Fry some Microworms and see how that works out.

    Breeding behaviour:

    I have been “documenting” this for a while now, and would like to mention this. This is only for the Albino’s: I can tell that my females are almost ready to spawn, as the normal colour is white”ish”, but 2-3 days before they spawn, they start to get Pink, yip Pink. And they start to swell up, then you know that they are ready, some say that you can then do a small WC to trigger the Spawn, I have not tried this, so I’m unable to confirm. The morning of the spawn, my female will start her “Shark Swim”, this is what I call it, it’s when she starts to swim at the top of the tank, her dorsal fin will break the surface, looking like Jaws hehe. She will swim the entire length of the tank for a few minutes, the male will pick this up, and will start his dance? He starts to shakes his body against some of the plants in the tank. I really don’t know what he is doing, after a few dances, he will start to follow the females, swimming all around her, and tapping her on the head, and once she’s ready, she will allow him in front of her, and they will start the T- position showed below.

    2.jpg
    By doing this, she will swallow the males sperm, and fertilize the eggs internally. She will the place the eggs in her pelvic fins, swim around and select a spawn site, this will happen a few times, as I have counted up to 8 times. if the conditions are great, spawning can take place every two weeks, my last spawn happened 10 days apart.

    Well thats my story

    Vez

    2.jpg

    SDC12982.JPG
     
    oscar freak likes this.
  21. Khalid

    Khalid Loricariidae

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Messages:
    1,515
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Lenasia
    A very informative write up Vez.
    What was the water parameters?
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Albino Cory Spawn Forum Date
Albino Cory Spawn!!!! Breeding May 8, 2011
Albino longfin cory Breeding Oct 30, 2020
Swop: Albino Corydoras. Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 23, 2020
Grisly death of albino cory Diseases Jun 22, 2015
Freebie: Albino Corydora Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 12, 2014
Albino corys left me a surprise General Discussions Apr 29, 2013
Albino Cory General Discussions Jan 23, 2012

Share This Page