African Jewel Fish species only tank

Discussion in 'Blacklisted species' started by mrmustard, Jul 11, 2012.

  1. mrmustard

    mrmustard

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    Messages:
    116
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Anyone have any experience keeping these fish? I plan to do a species only tank in a 4ft(1.2 x 45 x 45). How many of thses fish would I be able to house in that size tank?

    Tank is still cycling at the moment so I am looking at different options for a viable display tank
     
  2. Guest




  3. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    @mrmustard,

    If it's the Hemichormis you are after, I would say 1 pair only.
    These are very aggressive. Even to other species. Among themselves, I think more than 1 pair in a tank would just cause chaos.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. OP
    mrmustard

    mrmustard

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    Messages:
    116
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Lol ok if thats the case I might stick to a mbuna setup or just go with my shoaling community tank setup because I like to have a nice display of fish. Thanks for the heads up though.
     
  5. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    African jewels are BL isnt it.
     
  6. top dog

    top dog

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2012
    Messages:
    1,765
    Likes Received:
    888
    Location:
    JHB Greenstone
    found them to be pretty similar to convicts or jack demesy's in personality once they breed.
    ie
    is a very true story
     
  7. OP
    mrmustard

    mrmustard

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    Messages:
    116
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    I was actually hoping to keep like 10-12 of them in the tank but if a pair is the minimum then I was really asking for some trouble. A tank of apocalyptic proportion so to speak. Whew, really glad I asked.
     
  8. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Just saying :) they are beautifull fish but ja.
     
  9. OP
    mrmustard

    mrmustard

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    Messages:
    116
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Its cool bro. I'm still new to the forum so it was bound to happen.:embarrest:
     
  10. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    i also did it before. the plants is the big problem dont know the names of them. buy some that looks cool. at the end they are BL and i want to kick myself hehe
     
  11. allyzone

    allyzone

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2012
    Messages:
    49
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Durban.. Springfield
    Got a pair in my community tank.. Noticed they only become very aggressive during breeding times... and wen the babys are around. I removed the babies and noticed they gone back to normal....
     
  12. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    a truly beautiful fish it is,dont think i'v seen a fish with a better shade of red,they should call them red devils cause thats what they are when breeding and do so prolifically its no wonder they are BL.was pondering a tank with just white and red fish.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - African Jewel Fish Forum Date
Freebie: 2 Red African jewels Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 10, 2018
2 red african jewels to swop for gyppies.... JHB Aquarists Sep 7, 2018
African Jewels wanted Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 2, 2015
Breeding African Jewels Breeding Apr 14, 2015
African Jewel Cichlids Cichlids Sep 1, 2011
african jewel chiclid Cichlids Aug 6, 2010
Breeding African Jewels Cichlids Jun 17, 2009

Share This Page