Advice on different brands of fish food

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by nealos6, Jul 6, 2012.

  1. nealos6

    nealos6

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2012
    Messages:
    230
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Sea Point, Cape Towb
    Hi all. What foods do you use and recommend? What have you had good/bad experiences with? Thanks. :smile1:
     
  2. Guest




  3. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Any and all food available from Dirk Bellstedt is highly recommended in my opinion.

    When I run out, I would then maybe buy Tetra.
     
  4. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    I also use the profs flake foods. It's bloody good stuff. I also use ocean nutrition products as well. Also very good foods.
     
  5. OP
    nealos6

    nealos6

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2012
    Messages:
    230
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Sea Point, Cape Towb
    Where can I get the Dirk Bellstedt food and is it quite pricey?
     
  6. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Order directly from Professor Dirk.
    And its the most cost effective food you will find.
     
  7. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    Most name brands (Tetra, JBL etc) foods are good for fish.
     
  8. sarf

    sarf

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2009
    Messages:
    677
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Cape town
    Food recommendations also depend on the dietary requirements of the fish you keep.I have used prof dirk's foods..its good stuff.ocean nutrition also good as well as hbh veggie flake which I feed to my rift lake cichlids.Recently I received a price list for New Life Spectrum foods..I havnt used it myself but it been getting good reviews almost everywhere..seems people only complaining about the costs.
     
  9. butcherman

    butcherman Administrator

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    Messages:
    1,584
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Edenvale
    I only use omega one foods, they have a food for anything you want to keep! Anything from goldfish to Cichlids and everything inbetween!
     
  10. OP
    nealos6

    nealos6

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2012
    Messages:
    230
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Sea Point, Cape Towb
    Where can I find Prof Dirks contact details? New to the forum.
     
  11. BBQ

    BBQ

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2012
    Messages:
    1,023
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Pretoria
    So far iv been using tetra extensively just over 10 products from them
    And alge wafer from hikari, my fishes love them
     
  12. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Send him a private message

    Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2
     
  13. OP
    nealos6

    nealos6

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2012
    Messages:
    230
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Sea Point, Cape Towb
    @BBQ I have heard Hikari is very good. Do most LFS stock it?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  14. BBQ

    BBQ

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2012
    Messages:
    1,023
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Indeed, they are rated #1 by far in the world
    But it comes with a price tag as well. It like 100%
    more on price. Not all shops will stock it. Cos pricing
    But the shops that do, well they have all the people
    Going to them when they want high end food.
    Just remember to ask for discount. I get 20% at the
    Shop that I buy. As I tend to spend a bit on food with them.
     
  15. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    Ignoring brands, I suppose quality ingredients are key. The so called Guaranteed Analysis on most foods are just not detailed enough.

    Protein, Fat, Ash, Crude fibre are typically the only thing on the list of with real min max numbers ... so maybe like with human food we should only buy products that have relevant Guaranteed Analysis and detail the composition .. i.e. the source.

    BTW I am not a great believer in all the ash we give our animals, but it is hard to not get some form of filler in most foods.

    Later Ferdie
     
  16. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    The prof's food seems to last forever too.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Advice different brands Forum Date
Newbie confession: overstocked my first tank on LFS advice — is a R5,500 180L upgrade worth it? Beginner Discussions Jul 12, 2026
[ ADVICE ] Eel or no Eel? Beginner keeper. Beginner Discussions Feb 1, 2025
First Time Aquarium Build 1200x450x450 Advice Anything DIY related Jan 20, 2025
Advice on Three Spot Gurami breeding needed. Breeding Jan 18, 2025
[ADVICE WANTED] CO2 Planted Tank for Beginners? Planted Tanks Dec 29, 2024
Advice on new tank.. General Discussions Oct 28, 2024
Looking to Create a new Aquarium and need advice General Discussions Jan 24, 2024

Share This Page