Advice needed!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by FishLover, Nov 25, 2012.

  1. FishLover

    FishLover

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2012
    Messages:
    881
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Hey guys. I am soon going to set up a planted tank and have read everywhere that I need C02 injection for good growing plants. Does anyone know where I can buy a good quality C02 injection system. If there are any alternative methods to get good plant growth like substrates lighting etc, please tell me. Thanks all.
     
  2. Guest




  3. Ammar

    Ammar

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2012
    Messages:
    2,517
    Likes Received:
    425
    Location:
    Symhurst, Germiston
    what plants have you got in mind. not all plants require hi teck setups, you can actually do something awesome with a low tech setup using products like seachem excel. google low tech planted tanks, it will give you an idea of what you can achieve with decent lights and ferts. if im not mistaken a CO2 stup will cost you over 3k
     
  4. DewaldC

    DewaldC Magikarp

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2012
    Messages:
    1,867
    Likes Received:
    28
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Since i started dosing ferts every day the plants grow faster.(google EI dosing)
    Get fast and easy plants.
    Low tech non co2 planted tank video i found on tropica.:cool:
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2016
  5. OP
    FishLover

    FishLover

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2012
    Messages:
    881
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Thanks @DewaldC ! That vid really helped me with some ideas! :)
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. Wyvren

    Wyvren Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2011
    Messages:
    2,549
    Likes Received:
    21
    @FishLover

    Hi tech is not always needed for a planted tank. I run 2 low tech planted tanks and one medium tech (medium due to the lights I have on there). I just dose with ferts weekly and excel as my carbon source. I actually prefer it this way - I have slower growth yes, but in the long run, I have had only minor algae out breaks and no fishie deaths in a long time. I think the best way to do it is start with a low tech setup and gradually build up to high tech - it works out cheaper in the long run as well - you don't have to spend as much cash all at once and you get what you need bit by bit.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. Discus Lover

    Discus Lover

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2012
    Messages:
    48
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Worcester, Western Cape
    De, thanks. That video made me realize where I went wrong with my 1st attempt at aquascaping.
     
  8. OP
    FishLover

    FishLover

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2012
    Messages:
    881
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Thanks all, decided to go for a semi-planted tank! I will make it low tech. Does anyone have a list of good looking low tech plants? I will dose with ferts and maybe tablet fertilizers.....and will also have good lighting. Any plant that doesnt need C02 would be awesome!
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Advice needed Forum Date
Advice on Three Spot Gurami breeding needed. Breeding Jan 18, 2025
Advice needed General Equipment discussion May 4, 2023
Tank build-- advice needed Anything DIY related Jun 3, 2022
A Newbie starting a new 30L tank -advice needed Beginner Discussions Oct 13, 2021
Advice needed: HMA filters (3 stage)and impact on water parameters Filtration Apr 26, 2021
Tank circulation advice needed. Community Tanks Feb 10, 2021
Advice needed on for a paranoid fishkeeper (new fish) General Fish Discussions Aug 16, 2019

Share This Page