ADA Aqua Soil Prices/Sizing

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by oupoot, Dec 15, 2014.

  1. oupoot

    oupoot

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2012
    Messages:
    1,119
    Likes Received:
    341
    Location:
    Randburg
    Hi Guys

    I am planning on buying ADA Aquasoil for my 1.2x70x70 tank, but I need some help in estimating the amount I need for the tank and what kind of the ADA soil should I get?

    Also I read that the soils does not go well with fish with whiskers, anybody had any issues with cories or synodontis and the soil?

    Also cheapest place I can buy it from as it does cost a pretty penny to get the soil...

    Thanks in advance!
     
  2. Guest




  3. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    Hey there!

    For a tank of that size, if you want a complete carpet of plants, you'd need about 6-8 bags of Amazonia.

    It is not a good idea to have catfish in the tank at the start. They will dig your plants out of the substrate. You can wait until the carpets have rooted properly, and then add them. But aquasoil is light, so it's easy for them to uproot your plants. I definitely wouldn't keep a synodontis with aquasoil.

    I'd also definitely recommend the powersand. It helps keep the substrate healthy, long term.
     
  4. OP
    oupoot

    oupoot

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2012
    Messages:
    1,119
    Likes Received:
    341
    Location:
    Randburg
    so I gues i need another 3 arms to give to get the amount of soil i need for the tank =(, around R3560 and then I need the Power sand as well....

    But put in to perspective, thats about the average i would spend on liquid ferts on a monthly basis as well for the volume of the tank, at around R300 a month so in a year the sand would have paid itself off.... hmmmm...
     
  5. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    Just remember, you still need to fertilize the tank. Aquasoil is rich in N and P, but not K or traces. So you need to dose that. Also, your fish, when you feed them will also product N and P in the tank. That's why ADA only add Potassium and Trace elements as fertilizer.

    ADA Designed everything around the Substrate system. And it works extremely well.
     
  6. OP
    oupoot

    oupoot

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2012
    Messages:
    1,119
    Likes Received:
    341
    Location:
    Randburg
    At this point I dont know what to do anymore as its seems I have some kind of difiecency but dont know what it is, looking for a plant master to tell me whats wrong, ill post picks when I get a working phone again, but all my old leaves are yellow and they get holes in them, and this is my anubias and javas...
     
  7. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    That would be a potassium deficiency, or possibly a Nitrate and Phosphate deficiency.

    If the plant gets holes that have a yellow border, it's potassium.
     
  8. OP
    oupoot

    oupoot

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2012
    Messages:
    1,119
    Likes Received:
    341
    Location:
    Randburg
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Aqua Soil Prices Forum Date
Anybody have experience with LanGa aqua soil? Planted Tanks Jan 11, 2025
Budget Aqua Soil Aquatic plants Mar 6, 2024
Wanted: Aquarium soil Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jan 3, 2022
Wanted: Aqua soil Wanted/Swop/Freebies Feb 17, 2021
Aquarium soils Planted Tanks Mar 15, 2020
Wanted: Aqua soil Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 30, 2019
Langa aquarium soil Planted Tanks Jul 17, 2019

Share This Page