Acara advice please.

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Greenbean32, Oct 9, 2016.

  1. Greenbean32

    Greenbean32

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2016
    Messages:
    127
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi Guys,I have a breeding pair (at least it seemed so) of Electric blue acaras . They were previously in a community tank ,but after they became aggro and showing spawning behaviour. I then moved them to a 60cm tank where I thought they can get their groove on. But now it seems it is only the male that wants to spawn,and subsequently he abuses the female.

    I am doing partial water changes every couple of days and am only feeding them blood worms.

    Seeing that the females fins took quite a bit of beating and the male to some extent . At which point would I need to separate them ,as I don't want them to kill each other.


    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
     
  2. Guest




  3. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    I seem to remember @MariaS breeding (or at least keeping) EB Acaras.

    60L may be a bit small. The female doesn't have much space to get away from the male's attention
     
  4. OP
    Greenbean32

    Greenbean32

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2016
    Messages:
    127
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Thanks Reedfish , I have a 90cm as well,but is filled with plants and shrimp .Do you think I should rather move them over and the shrimp out.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
     
  5. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    I think the 90L might be a better plan.
    Male SA cichlids are notoriously aggressive towards the female at breeding time.
     
  6. OP
    Greenbean32

    Greenbean32

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2016
    Messages:
    127
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Cape Town
    OK thanks ,gonna be a bit tedious as I will have to remove most of the plants and all the shrimp

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
     
  7. MariaS

    MariaS Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2015
    Messages:
    8,740
    Likes Received:
    3,581
    Location:
    Klipriver, Midvaal
    @Greenbean32, yes.. as @Reedfish mentioned, my electric blue acaras have spawned a few times

    The first two times, they were in a 700l community tank
    They had some severums, an oscar and some loaches for company and they kept everyone away from the eggs
    When babies were born we siphoned them out with a 20mm pipe..

    I then moved everyone over to my 2.3m and they have spawned 3 times and now they busy again but one of my loaches has manged to get to the eggs the last two times so I am going to move them back to the 700l tank


    I havent had any aggression between the male and the female but they do defend their eggs fiercely for their size..
    Maybe the female is not ready and because the tank is not big he gets to her
    I would move them to the 90l tank but i would not take out all the plants (they dont destroy plants) they do like a piece of wood where to lay the eggs

    I stand to be corrected but i think they also need more than just bloodworms to condition your female
    Mine get little pieces of fish which they steal from my arowana, they get sinking pellets, bloodworms and earthworms every now and then.

    Hope this helps a little and wish you all best.
    Love my acaras, they are gorgeous
     
  8. MariaS

    MariaS Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2015
    Messages:
    8,740
    Likes Received:
    3,581
    Location:
    Klipriver, Midvaal
    Post a picture of your pair, I think i should be able to confirm if you have a male and female
     
  9. OP
    Greenbean32

    Greenbean32

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2016
    Messages:
    127
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Thanks Maria ,I have started moving some of the plants over as there is just too much in the 90cm.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
     
  10. OP
    Greenbean32

    Greenbean32

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2016
    Messages:
    127
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Cape Town
    [​IMG]

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
     
  11. OP
    Greenbean32

    Greenbean32

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2016
    Messages:
    127
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Cape Town
    That is what I presume to be the male

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
     
  12. OP
    Greenbean32

    Greenbean32

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2016
    Messages:
    127
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Cape Town
    [​IMG]

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
     
  13. OP
    Greenbean32

    Greenbean32

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2016
    Messages:
    127
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Cape Town
    As you can see the female has taken quite a beating.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
     
  14. OP
    Greenbean32

    Greenbean32

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2016
    Messages:
    127
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Cape Town
    [​IMG]

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
     
  15. OP
    Greenbean32

    Greenbean32

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2016
    Messages:
    127
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Will move them to that tank in the morning.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
     
  16. MariaS

    MariaS Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2015
    Messages:
    8,740
    Likes Received:
    3,581
    Location:
    Klipriver, Midvaal
    june 038.JPG this is my pair.

    june 036.JPG
     
    JvH likes this.
  17. OP
    Greenbean32

    Greenbean32

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2016
    Messages:
    127
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Nice , is the male the bottom one.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
     
  18. MariaS

    MariaS Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2015
    Messages:
    8,740
    Likes Received:
    3,581
    Location:
    Klipriver, Midvaal
    My male is quite a bit bigger than the female and his colour is much bluer than her with a broader orange stripe the female, when ready to spawn goes very black
    The whole top of her head goes black and along her sides she also gets black on her scales
    They busy wanting to spawn again and she is very black
    I will post a picture of her tomorrow as she looks now... my son pinched cable for my phone .. so cant do it right now...
     
  19. MariaS

    MariaS Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2015
    Messages:
    8,740
    Likes Received:
    3,581
    Location:
    Klipriver, Midvaal
    Yes, and the loach next to him is the egg thieve!!!

    Your one on left is the male but your one on the right is much bigger than my two females, mine are smaller and have smaller heads so im a bit unsure
     
  20. OP
    Greenbean32

    Greenbean32

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2016
    Messages:
    127
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Her scales is also black and her face .
    Any ideas as to what I can do to the 90 to make it more comfortable. Like is that flat rock and clay pot sufficient.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
     
  21. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    Greenbean32, the 90L tank looks good. I think leave the plants in. Will provide some refuge if the male is hassling her

    MariaS, your pair looks super!
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Acara advice please Forum Date
Wanted: Neon Blue Acara Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 1, 2022
Electric Blue Acara Breeding Sep 14, 2022
Nannacara anomala Cichlids Aug 28, 2022
Freebie: Electric Blue Acaras Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 5, 2022
Laetacara curviceps pair Cichlids Nov 16, 2021
Wanted: Electric Blue Acara Wanted Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 6, 2021
Wanted: Pictus Catfish / Silver Dollars / Blue Acara (CPT) Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 22, 2021

Share This Page