6KG of flake food per month, What now???

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Cheetah, Feb 11, 2011.

  1. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    I placed an order for my standard monthly fish food flake consumption, before I decided to get rid of all of my fish..... Now the fish are gone,.... and the flakes arrived today!.... What now??

    With the fish that I have left,.... this food would probably last me a year or more.... Can flake foods last that long??..... what storage precautions should I take?? ("Cool dry place") etc... Or maybe,... I should just make up little bags of it and sell it locally?

    [​IMG]

    See my standard 20's pack of cigs just dwarfed by the Flake food packs....
    [​IMG]
     
  2. Guest




  3. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    EISH... I've heard of people storing flakes for extended period in a airtight container in a freezer. Not sure how long it will keep, or if the cool temps will damage it.
     
  4. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    That's A LOT of food. Maybe sell in 500g bags in classifieds....
     
  5. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Yo @Cheetah - Nice 2 know that you know the AMAZING,BUDGET protein availability of Amatikululu Flake.... Us in the Know have been making use of this for a LONG TIME......

    Please help cheetaah ....
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Actually, that was going to be my next question........Amatikululu (IMO) is probably not the best flake foods on the market, but for large scale breeding of fish, it is the best value for money (trolley for trolley).......

    The best flake foods I have ever used (where you could actually see the results) was a Tetramin product called "Special mix", which I normally got in 5kg containers and rolled out some with roller pin to feed the fry........ fantastic food, which I have not seen around for the last decade or two...... Does anyone know if it is still around - It looks a lot like pro-nutro and had Netherland script on it which read something to the effect - (and I'm not swearing) - "Voor het opfokken van het Tropiesche siervissen" ..... If it is still on the market, I'd really like to get some.....
     
  7. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    :) Ok thats a little funny.

    Never seen fish food in bulk really, but like my grandma says if it workd really well the government will have it off the market soon enough.
     
  8. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    i'll take some photos next time we unpack 6 pallets of OmegaOne :D
     
  9. SAMollyBreeder

    SAMollyBreeder Poecilia Latipinna

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2010
    Messages:
    270
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town
    "Voor het opfokken van het Tropiesche siervissen" means "For the rearing of Ornamental Tropical Fish"
     
  10. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    I Knew I still had an empty container somewhere……. (good for storing the kid’s leggo in) The expiry date on the lid of this container is October 1978….. & then already, I paid in excess of R300 per 10L container, so maybe it was just priced completely out of the market….. But!!!!!.... Excellent "opfokvoer"!!!!

    This is what the container looked like
    [​IMG]


    I see it came in 10Liter sizes (2,300g) … not 5kg as I reported.
    [​IMG]


    On the front display, it says: “Opfokvoer voor het Tropische siervissen”….
    [​IMG]


    The description on the back reads: “Voor het kweken en opfokken van siervissen” and the next paragraph confirm that it is indeed “Opfokvoer”……
    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  11. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    If any of our sponsors can get hold of this food, (& it is priced for less than R2,000)..... I'll appreciate if you can let me know.... I'll be interested.
     
  12. Altum

    Altum Sponsor

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2008
    Messages:
    1,102
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    CAPE TOWN 7441
    SpecialMix, long gone!

    hey Pal!

    It's not part of the tetra range of foods. staple or specialty, anymore.
    I suggest that you didnt actually get a chance to find anything comparable...due to several factors
    Name brand foods are pricey, budget foods rarely meet expectations IF you had good success before on a name-brand food that is.
    Likely you didn't want to risk spending on something else, just to compare.. while your TOUGH fish were doing just fine!

    There are MANY alternatives in the market place nowadays.... to suit almost everyman's pocket and every fish diet!:blink1:

    But, I'm afraid the special Mix is a thing of the past.

    BTW looking at the label, you can easily compare Ingredient lists and even write to Tetra , in Melle, Germany...
    Again, you won't find the same food..but it will bring closure to your pursuit.

    Contact me for a few alternatives that are not marketed openly..ie. Not as expensive, nor entry-level budget feeds.

    PS How are those fish i sent up... breeding those Albino Bristle Nose Ancistrus yet?
     
  13. Whipme

    Whipme Microsword

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2009
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Centuion
    I know you get Sera and Tetra foods in large containers, but the biggest I've seen is 1liter. The Tetra pond feed you can get in big 10liter buckets though.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - flake food month Forum Date
What food (besides flakes and pellets) can you feed fish. General Discussions Jul 12, 2013
Tropical Cichlid Flakes & Color Enhancing foods General Discussions Feb 21, 2013
The best flake food? General Discussions Jun 8, 2012
Live food & flakes General Discussions May 14, 2009
brown flake algea Algae Jun 14, 2014
New Flakes from Seachem - Chlorella, Marine Plus, Brine Shrimp and Discus in 15g... Aquarium Depot Oct 14, 2013
Looking for spirulina pellets and flakes. General Discussions May 5, 2013

Share This Page